September 2019 Moms

The Big Nursery Thread!

Now that we're getting to the halfway point (YAY!), let's talk nurseries! Themes? Color schemes? Furniture? What are you planning or hoping to do? Also, forgive me if I missed another thread on this. I did a search and came up empty, but I feel like we've been talking about nursery stuff a bit somewhere so maybe I just missed it. 
*TW*
Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
Married 8/16/13
BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

Re: The Big Nursery Thread!

• @lillywonderland It so looks like the trees from The Lorax! I love it!

I've kinda settled on mythical under the sea. Because apparently I'm extra. But little mermen and sea dragons and narwhals etc. Colors are teal, lime, dark blue. Maybe accents of purple and orange. (Again, I know I'm extra most days but I just cant help it!)

I think I finally picked out a set of cribs too. Why do they never say how high each mattress setting is? It's so frustrating! 
  • Loading the player...
  • There was another thread about this, but it seems to be buried andddd there wasn’t much on it anyway. 
    I am SO excited to get started. I’m doing the same theme for either boy or girl, but we are still waiting for the AS next week to be in the clear since we had no genetic testing. This is a very small room, so I’m hoping to do with it what I can. 

I already have my grandma’s old french provincial dresser that I plan to rehab to look like this which will serve as a changing table

Then I want to do a vintage rabbit theme so I’m planning one small wall with wallpaper and the rest a warm light gray. A dark brass crib and lots of rabbit decor. Once we find out the sex we will add pops of color in the bedding and such. The only thing we have purchased is the shelf in the spoiler. 

• Yes!!! So excited for this thread to be starting! We are going to do some type of floral theme for our daughter! Can’t wait to hear everyone’s ideas and see nurseries getting started.
  • @duewithpu2 might I also suggest this on-sale bunny lamp from West Elm?

https://www.westelm.com/products/ceramic-nature-rabbit-table-lamp-w2417/?pkey=s%7Cbunny%20lamp%7C8

LOVE that theme. I toyed with a Peter Rabbit theme but wasn't in love with any Peter Rabbit decor I was seeing and knew the second it got out that his nursery was "Peter Rabbit" I'd be getting loads of bunnies with blue jackets. I think your theme is much closer to what I was actually trying to accomplish. 

Now I'm back to square one. I'm trying to fuse natural wood tones (this crib and dresser) with soothing grays, whites and navy, but trying to avoid the room looking too "rustic". Do you guys think that will be impossible with the furniture I've picked out? I struggle with decor. 

• Well WTF why didn't it pull up for me!? Ugh, I'm usually such a rule follower, but I feel like I'm seeing what it's like to be a drive-by poster minus never coming back lol. 

Anywho, here is the crib I just bought! We're still going with the vintage floral theme and I can't wait to start buying decor! 

Veendam 5-in-1 Convertible Crib

*TW*
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Well, if I'd ever take real, good photos of Henry's nursery I'd share. I'll share what I do have below though.
    It's a Wes Anderson theme and him and baby will share a room until we move. I'll get him a twin sized bed once the baby needs the crib. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • edited April 2019
    @nomangos23 I love your furniture! If you want to avoid rustic, I think you could go in a route like pics in spoiler minus the cow skin rug

ETA: I will have to convince DH to splurge on that perfect lamp!!
  • @duewithpu2 The Velveteen Rabbit excerpt just made me cry.  So thanks for that.  :) 
  • @mamaber2204 Sorry! I will probably sob when it’s hung up!
  • @duewithpu2 oh yes! love love love! 
  • Will one of you lovely ladies please come to my house and do it for me? I have no idea, but thinking floral something? I know we will be getting this baby their own furniture set like we did for other 2 kids. The crib will convert into a toddler bed and then full size. I just need to get to the store and find something we like that won't be too expensive. I know we need to paint the room because the walls are all scuffed up and have lots of dings in it. 
  • So we are going to bunk up the big kids for about a year before we will allow daughter to share with baby.  So the nursery will be what is currently dd's room and she picked out the colors eggplant purple with pink around the top.  I accented with gold and white too.  So probably leaving colors as is and getting a white crib.  We already have a white bunk bed in there. 
  • @supermom34482 I live for this type of stuff! I can always help you find some inspo!
  • UFJenUFJen member
    My SIL works for Trend Lab and they have this new print coming out this summer; its little llamas for girls. My SIL has sent me pics and its adorable! The picture for the wall says 'Llama Queen'
    Cant wait!
  • @nomangos23 All I can see when I look at your furniture is Peter Rabbit or vintage Winnie the Pooh. Something utterly classic!

• @UFJen I was so set on llamas until I found rabbits! I can’t wait to see that print!  

• @lillywonderland I LOVE that rug! A national park theme is so cute. 

@duewithpu2 Your inspiration pics are gorgeous. I love that crib. Can't wait to see how it turns out! 

@zuuls_mom love the crib. I can't remember if you are crafty or not, but Liberty London floral prints are my fav. You could make some pillows or maybe drapes or something.

@nomangos23 agreed with Lilly. I see some classic story book characters. Winnie the pooh would be adorable! 

• @zuuls_mom I love that crib! Where did you get it? Maybe have to take a look :) 
  • I love seeing/hearing everyone’s ideas because I’m so not good at this stuff! So far I know that three walls will be gray and the fourth will be big gray and white stripes, with white furniture and pops of navy. 
  • @kgg2241 so not crafty. But I sure can buy things from Etsy like nobody's business. 

@septoctkids Wayfair! It's the Mistana Veendam 5 in 1! Closeout sale too so it's wayyyy discounted! 
    *TW*
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16

• We are going for a nautical theme. Lots of navy anchors, aqua, and fish! Open for suggestions.

P.s. thoughts on the crib sets? I feel like they're so expensive and for what? A fitted sheet, a bed skirts, and a blanket that will end up in the closet since they can't have it in the crib....seems silly. Am I missing something?
  • @nightdreamr13 Crib sets are stupid. Save your $$! Good for pics only. 😜 
  • @nightdreamr13 I just had to have this crib set with DS that was $80 and ended up getting it as an xmas gift from my parents. He never once used the blanket which was the best part. By the time theyr'e old enough for blankets the one it comes with is too small. Save your money!!!
  • diner04diner04 member
    Love seeing all the different nursery ideas!! This will help give me some inspiration. The plan is to keep it fairly simple as our nursery needs to continue to double as our guest room. The walls are already a pretty light shade of grey so that I'm keeping the same but want to find some cute wall art or photos to put up. Can't say I have a theme or vision nailed down yet though. We also need a new ceiling light in there and really love this one below but says it's no longer available for delivery so looking around for something similar.

• @zuuls_mom got to love wayfair! Thank you :)

@nightdreamr13 I would skip the crib bedding set. I went with separates instead. I bought a few sheets in the pattern/ color I liked that went with his theme and went with a solid crib skirt. I say go with separate pieces. 
  • @LJMoon6 I think there's for sure a way to meld the too. And I agree with the theme. I have a very specific look in mind (that I can not verbalize  :D ) and I know the second I tell anyone "bunny theme" or "moose theme" the influx of bunny crap will start. 

I like the idea of the mountain decals (which will be easier to install!) with the lamp, mobile, and switch. Maybe hang his (or your!) "house colors" in the form of swaddles from sweet little wooden hooks as decor? I'd say the HP decor would be subtle but evident! 
  • cammie0526cammie0526 member
    edited May 2019
    Edited to say... I just realized that I already made this same comment without the picture 2 days ago and completely forgot. Let this also serve as my "I'm this many weeks pregnant" post for the day.

Our nursery will be pretty small, so I want to keep the design clean and simple. We're planning to do something similar to this (thanks Google), with some little pops of navy:

• @duewithpu2 We have the same lumberjack-type top for DS!! So cute!
  • @duewithpu2 1) DS is adorable and that look on his face looks like he's questioning you 2) I'm 99.9% sure Cohen will be baby boy's middle name! You have great taste!!  :D
  • kgg2241kgg2241 member
    @duewithpu2 awe I love that second pic. His smile is too cute. Also, love the mural.

• Thanks ladies! @nomangos23 We’re not regular moms, we’re cool moms! 
  • Definite no to crib sets. Waste of money and bumpers and blankets aren't even safe. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @cammie0526 we did stripes just like that in my sons nursery. They were light gray and mint green. Came out so nice! Takes quiet a bit of time to do but you won’t regret it. :)
  • I feel like I've changed my mind a million and 1 times on cribs since we started this grand adventure. But I might have finally settled on Jenny Lind? They've been around forever, apparently that was the brand my sibling and I each slept in, and are good quality at a decent price. 

I'm hoping to get to a BBB to physically handle one and snag them with a 20% off coupon too. 
  • @LJMoon6 fuck yeah!! Can’t wait to see it!!!