Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY Special 2019 Earth Day Edition!

What is one environmentally friendly or eco-conscious behavior that you make an effort to practice? 

What is one you are working on or towards or hope to implement soon? 

Re: GTKY Special 2019 Earth Day Edition!

• We were using so many ziploc bags - we recently started using the reusable ones instead. I love them! I would like to be better with reusable grocery bags but a lot of times I forget to take them into the store with me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to mention that we also purchased an electric car last year and I will be getting one myself in the near future.

But as @flowntheloop said, I know the process to create a lot of "green" things isn't actually very green. Dumb but hopefully we can get better about that and use renewable energy resources.

@peppyj9 here's a link to the bags I bought on Amazon. Probably not really more eco friendly to use them instead of regular plastic bags, but I just wanted the order to be gone when I trash it! There are multiple sizes. For my 1 cat I use the medium. The smalls it says yoy might not be able to get the scoop in to.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3NS28K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MwXUCbCDJRQ4E
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @flowntheloop the toothpaste tabs I’ve seen aren’t charcoal based. When wanting to switch our normal paste I did some research to charcoal and decided against it. 

@chellisam I’ve been curious for a while. I’m going to have to check them out some more. 

@inthewoods23 great idea about the cat litter bags! I’ll have to check them out! 
  • Also I've been looking at these for re-usable sandwich or snack bags but I haven't gotten them yet so I can't speak to whether they'r good or not.

• I carry a reusable water bottle with reusable straws.  We reuse plastic bags.  We just ordered reusable shopping bags. 
  • @kbrown I use beeswax wrap! Not for everything, but it works pretty well and it smells good. Plus, easy to clean.
  • So glad this thread got so much love! I am so inspired by y'all. It really, for me, just took getting into a habit to remember to always replace the cloth bags in my car every time I used them, and now they are nearly always there. When they aren't, I will put smaller purchases in my purse or ask for a paper bag or a cardboard box, and most stores will comply! But that is a behavior I am so glad to have gotten into.

A behavior I want to improve on is when I get the rest of a meal to go, bringing my own reusable containers to put it in. Louisiana is wretchedly full of styrofoam, and I hate to waste food but I equally hate to take doggie bags home in styrofoam! Additionally, the town we are in recently stopped recycling glass, so it has been a real struggle-- I am trying to find a way we can still recycle it, so working towards that has been important to me, but also trying to make our own foods that we can make (yogurt, kim chi, kombucha) rather than buying them in any type container is one of our goals. 

There is a GREAT book that was truly inspirational to me called THE NATURAL KITCHEN by Deborah Eden Tull that I wholly and truly recommend for anyone looking to be more eco-conscious, as it's practical but thorough.  Here is a link, but I am sure it's also on Amazon or something... https://deborahedentull.com/books/the-natural-kitchen-2/

Speaking of Amazon, does anyone know if there is a way to request that the books you buy from the, only arrive in cardboard? I use them a lot for books... and I always feel bad when something arrives in that white bubble wrap rather than a cardboard shipping box.
  • @kagesstarshroom - great thread to start! It made me want to start using beeswax wrap! Lots of good ideas in here...
  • This is a great thread❤️ Where I live they’ve already outlawed plastic bags years ago so everyone has to bring their own reuseable, which is awesome. They’ve also just outlawed styrofoam, which makes my heart so happy! That stuff is full of toxins AND can never break down. Terrible! 

We recycle everything. I’ve tried to get my hubby into remembering we have reusable metal straws and tons of reusable cups & water bottles, but he’s a work in progress. I just told him “Enough!” with the millions of paper towels so we are now using a fresh set of big wash cloths as rags in the kitchen & washroom areas. His work was throwing these out even though they are brand new so it was perfect timing.  

My next challenge is switching out to beeswax instead of plastic wrap or aluminum foil. I’d also love to grow our own food and compost like how I grew up, but we have a tiny yard space so it will have to be what I can do in pots. And YESSS! @whitealbum29 for voting for candidates who support going Green! 
  • For anyone whose wondering I really enjoy using the beeswax wraps!

We create way less garbage by also composting and recycling. 

I would like to be better about bringing my own reusable bags and bringing a travel mug with me!
  • Love all of these ! Even some good tips that I can start implementing!

We recycle and use a composting heavily they are strict with that in our region but the amount of recycling to me also looks like garbage since I know most of it they sometimes can’t even recycle fully. Garbage day comes very second week and I have maybe 1 large bag whereas for recycling we have at least 2 bags each week. 

I use reusable bags for groceries, when I get my fruits and veggies I don’t bother to take the plastic bag for it (this is new for me, but I’ll have to buy those mesh produce bags on amazon soon). We don’t use zip locks really ever we just have these cloth wet bags. Same with plastic wrap I use jars or containers etc to store food. 

I just need to figure out how to reduce my recycling since everything we buy has so much plastic packaging it’s wild.