September 2019 Moms

GTKY: Favorite Tradition You Plan to Uphold

What tradition are you most excited about sharing with your little one(s)?  Can be an existing tradition or one you're planning to start.  

Re: GTKY: Favorite Tradition You Plan to Uphold

• I'm excited to keep my family's Christmas Eve tradition going. Every year before bed we got to open 3 gifts: 1 book, 1 pair of PJs, and 1 ornament. Then we would wear read the book and wear the PJs. I love decorating the tree every year and revisiting all my old ornaments. I also want to start the tradition of putting our decorations up Black Friday and kicking the season off with a Christmas movie.
  • @duewithpu2 I want to start something similar! I love to read and really want to instill that love in my kids. I think the Christmas PJ's and a book are a perfect Christmas Eve gift.

I also want to go camping with the family every summer. Spend time outdoors, at a lake, riding bikes, kayaking, cooking supper over the fire. All that good stuff.
    Me: 31 │ DH: 30
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • Loading the player...
  • @kayceallan I would love to start a camping tradition! I think DS is finally old enough (3) to take camping. Now to get DH on board!
  • Like @duewithpu2 I plan on starting a Christmas tradition of PJs on Christmas Eve, but I think I want to do a movie and hot cocoa too. We already decorate on Black Friday with my IL's so I plan to continue that as well with the kids as they grow. 

We're also going to continue our tradition of visiting the family land in North Dakota every summer. It's so beautiful and relaxing out there. I can't wait to make more memories out there.
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @duewithpu2 We did PJs in my family too on Christmas Eve. Have not kept it up with DS because he refuses to wear actual PJs/is crazy picky on all clothes. Something I hope to start in the future though. We recently have started saying what we are thankful for about our day at dinner and DS loves it.
  • @blitzybee How did I not realize you were near DTC?!  I'm just south of DTC!  And I work in DTC!  
  • @mamaber2204 oh my gosh. We’ve probably passed one another before or have friends in common. Too funny! I’m thinking a play-date or wine date for mamas (after the babies are born of course!) may be in order one of these days! @zuuls_mom
  • @blitzybee Yes!  @zuuls_mom and I have already talked about doing a hiking and fro-yo date with the babies once they're here - you should come, too!  
  • Yeah count me in 😁
  • I'm so sad you guys live so far from me (Thornton), but I am SO down still to get together for hiking (even though to be quite honest I am not super fit haha), fro-yo and/or wine! Yay, friends!!
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @zuuls_mom Eh, none of us will be feeling very fit come October.  :)  Can't wait!!!
  • Awe I love this thread. I love the On the Night You Were Born idea, @septoctkids. I've never heard of that. Did you just buy a blank notebook, or are these like actual books you buy? 

We stay at a local ski resort for a week every summer with DH's family and I am so excited to continue the tradition with my kids. Otherwise, I'm hoping to come up with some new holiday traditions. We didn't really have a lot growing up, so I'm going to steal all yours! 
  • @cammie0526 I'm in MD too!!  <shhh, don't tell the rest of the internet that!!>
  • @cheshyre319 Awh your childhood sounds so wonderful!  <3 I love all those little traditions!
    Me: 31 │ DH: 30
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • I love reading about these traditions! I've always been bad about Christmas, the only thing we really did when I was a kid was go out in the woods and cut a tree - but I really loved decorating it, so feel I should put some effort into putting up lights and decorations this coming year. As a kid, my mom's crunch time was Christmas (worked for the PO) so it wasn't a particularly relaxing season. I used to make a gingerbread house every year with a neighbor when I was little, and I loved that, so that's something I want to start with DS and this LO.
    And generally, I want to teach my kids to cook/bake - I learned as an adult and now really enjoy it (the process and the results). DH's family did cook as kids, so it would be carrying on that tradition even though it's a new one for me.
  • @ternsetc I love the idea of teaching your kids to cook and bake. DS loves to help me cook, and I try to find little ways for him to contribute. I'm hoping he turns out better than DH who can't boil water.
  • @ternsetc @duewithpu2 teaching your kids to cook and bake with you sounds like so much fun!
  • @RedBreast35 @cammie0526 I'm from md too! 

@septoctkids when do you go to Maine? We really wanted to go at the end if may and someone told us the black flies are horrendous that time of year :( trying to figure out when to go.
  • My mom used to get my brothers and me a new Christmas ornament each year.  We each had our own series from Hallmark.  I must have about 15 from the Nostalgic Houses and Shops series.  My older brother had the Frosty and Friends.  I think it's still going all these years later.
  • New tradition I started w/ MH:  We get a new ornament each year and try to get it from somewhere memorable or have it feature something significant for us.  2017 I made from DS's hospital hat and bracelet.  2014 was an item we received as a wedding gift.  2018 we chose as a family at a Christmas event we had fun at.  

Family dinners are major tradition for us.  We eat together and at the table as a rule.  I love the idea of sharing something each person is grateful for at dinner each night.  I'm planning to start that once DS is a little more verbal.  

I stole this idea from a former boss:  Each morning when I tell DS goodbye I say "Let's try to be humble, honest and good humored!".  When he's bigger the idea is that he'll say it.  

I really like the Christmas Eve PJ opening tradition many of you mentioned!  I might need to steal that one!  
  • @cheshyre319 We actually celebrate St. Nicholas day too. My family always has. We do the thing where you put your shoes outside your door at night and they are filled with oranges, nuts and some chocolate.
  • septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited April 2019
    @nightdreamr13 we usually go late July or early August. We’ve never had a problem with the black flies. 
  • Nothing really to contribute here but loving this thread! @cheshyre319 the quilt tradition is so sweet. Now I just need to learn how to quilt... :)