September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 4/12: Baby Monitors

How are you planning to keep an "eye" on those chubby little babies? Share what monitor(s) you'll be using and, as always, feel free to use this as a place to ask questions.

Re: Product Spotlight 4/12: Baby Monitors

• Options
    What do you all think about skipping the video monitor? We live in a tiny tiny house, so I'm not sure it is essential when we will always be a room away. Did you find it necessary anyway? 
  • Options
    wondering the same thing as @kgg2241
    Also, does anyone have the Owlet sock? Seems like it could be useful but I wonder if it would make me worry even more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kgg2241 For our first 2  babies, we went with just a sound monitor.  And I think I stopped using it after a month or 2.  Our house was small and I could hear them cry to problem without it. 
    We are going to go with a monitor for this kid because we now have a much bigger house and I need to make sure I hear the baby before the big kids so they don't try to pick her up!
  • Options
    I'm actually skipping the Owlet (the reviews are meh) and have heard all you need is a really good video monitor. Honestly, I just want to see that little chest moving up and down without going into his room and staring at him. 

This is the one I registered for. It's highly recommended by several of my girlfriends and has excellent reviews on Amazon. I'm sold. 

https://www.amazon.com/Infant-Optics-DXR-8-Monitor-Interchangeable/dp/B00ECHYTBI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=infant+optics&qid=1555081248&s=gateway&sr=8-3
  • Options
    Literally everything that @RedBreast35 said. We are the same person apparently!! If the video camera is close enough, you can even see baby breathing. 

@RedBreast35 are you going to get another one for new baby? I’m debating if I just want to get another camera instead of the camera+monitor.
  • Options
    @lillywonderland do you have the same monitor?  I think I'm going to get another set.  We looked at getting the second camera when DS would nap in his crib but still sleep in our room at night, but I read a bunch of reviews that said the second camera messed with it and it didn't work as well anymore.  I figure at $70, a whole new one isn't too big a deal.
  • Options
    @RedBreast35 Yes, we have the same monitor. I looked into more expensive ones that moved and crap, but they had crappy reviews compared to that one. Re: another camera. Ah, okay. I guess that makes sense. Damn. Another thing to buy!! I thought we had all the stuff already! 😜
  • Options
    I was also considering not getting one because we have a very small house and the baby's room is directly across the hall from our room. But I think I have been convinced to get one just for the fact that if I want to be outside, or am doing yard work while baby is sleeping I can still keep an eye on baby. And fingers crossed we have a beautiful September to be able to enjoy the outdoors!

My husband and I are adamant that whatever we do get will not be wifi. Too many horror stories about hackers.
    Me: 31 │ DH: 30
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • Options
    kgg2241kgg2241 member
    edited April 2019
    @nomangos23 We are skipping the Owlet too. We can only splurge on so many things, and the reviews were definitely so so. That's a good point about a monitor that can see their little chest rising and falling. I didn't think of that! 

@RedBreast35 Youve sold me! Good points.
  • Options
    We already bought the owlet for baby and plan to get the video monitor they sell to make the complete set. I know there are mixed reviews and some people say it increases anxiety and that there is the possibility of false alarms - and that in some cases, owlet or not, there is nothing anyone could do to stop something from happening. But for me, I know I’ll literally never sleep again without some sort of something and I’d prefer a million false alarms to missing one true one. With my other kids, I actually never had any monitor - my house has always been small enough and I’ve kept them close by so I hear them right away when they fuss, and it always worked just fine for us at the time. 
  • Options
    @kgg2241 We didn't have any kind of monitor with DS. I just ran in to check on him once in a while. I am blessed that DH works at home so we had two checkers if necessary. I am considering one this time around since I can't be as focused with two. 
  • Options
    A friend of mine is giving me an Owlet that she didn't use so I'm gonna try it without having to drop the $$$. Heck yes! As for monitors, I am a big proponent of the video monitor. We have a good sized house, but it's more for peace of mind to be able to check on them whenever the urge strikes without having to open their door. 

@nomangos23 I have the one you registered for and it's been fine, but I will say it has shitty battery life (we've already had to replace it once) and it's starting to die quickly again which is annoying. It also randomly beeps saying it's out of range when there's weird interference with my cell phone. Overall, it was fine, but it's been annoying enough for us that I want to try something else this time. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @zuuls_mom Try taking out the battery for a minute then putting it back in. I think it's an odd quirk of the monitor. Ours was dying all the time so DH bought a new one, but before it arrived I saw that suggestion and now we have a brand new battery waiting to be used. I've only had to pull the battery out twice in 2 years. Also, for some reason, my Kindle cord works best for it?

We have the Infant Optics DXR-8 with 2 monitors (we got a free one for leaving a review). I love it. I use the video all the time to monitor DS. If I had gone by crying alone, I would've gone in there and made him really mad when he was just whining in his sleep. He also lays in bed awake for a long time and we finally go in there when he's standing. I wasn't planning on getting a video camera, but it's been good to us. It also doesn't use Wi-Fi so no fear of someone hacking into our camera.
  • Options
    We started by purchasing the owlet at birth and for me as a super anxious FTM, it was the best thing ever. I loved the owlet and it gave me the ability to sleep. We continued to use it for the first year until we moved Baby to his own room. 

Once we moved him, we bought the monitor. We have the Infant Optics DXR 8. BEST MONITOR! I like that it has video not through the internet so if power goes out, it still works without issue. Plus no chance that others can creep in from the outside. It also is able to run both on the challenger and by batteries. No complaints at all! 
    Me: 30   DH:31 
    Married 9/2010
    TTC 10/2013
    RE Help from 10/2014-10/2016 (11 failed IUIs, a corrective surgery, and a donor embryo cycle)
    9/2016-transferred two donor embies
    BFP 9/29/26 EDD June 11
    BabyGaga BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited April 2019
    We went back and forth about the owlet. The amount of false alarms I read about were enough to change our mind and not get it. It would worry me to much. I watched my son sleep for the first several months of his life to make sure he was breathing haha I still go in his room to check him in the middle of the night. We have the Motorola comfort 50 baby monitor and love it! I do wish it had the room temperature on it though. We got the gro egg at our son’s baby shower that shows the temp so we just use that and check it at night but if i we’re to get a new monitor the temp on the screen would be a must have for us.

we don’t like WiFi type cameras. Too creepy knowing people can get into them. A few friends have them and they go on and off throughout the night depending on the internet strength. 

@cateyes543 I’ve heard great things about the infant optics but weary because so many people say the reviews are so good about it because you can get a free second monitor if you leave a perfect review. Good to know you love it. I wish the screen was bigger. I’m definitely contemplating switching to this when baby 2 arrives instead of buying another camera for the one I have. 

I think having the camera is worth it rather than just audio. When my son wakes up he will just sit there and play with his pacifiers or roll around or whatever haha. It’s nice to see when he’s awake since he doesn’t always cry when he’s up. I’m also crazy and worry about someone somehow sneaking into his room at night so it’s comforting to know I can roll over and check to see him. I think I watch too many shows. 😂 It’s also comforting to see if he moves to make sure he’s still breathing. I worry too much.. can you tell? Haha 
  • Options
    @septoctkids-I had no idea about this review thing and getting a second monitor!! Will be checking that out! I can honestly say though I have no complaints and wish I had gotten one sooner for like nap time while baby was still in our room! 
    Me: 30   DH:31 
    Married 9/2010
    TTC 10/2013
    RE Help from 10/2014-10/2016 (11 failed IUIs, a corrective surgery, and a donor embryo cycle)
    9/2016-transferred two donor embies
    BFP 9/29/26 EDD June 11
    BabyGaga BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cateyes543 good to know! Yes, definitely look into the free second camera! I know a few people that have done it
  • Options
    ternsetcternsetc member
    edited April 2019
    @RedBreast35 and @lillywonderland we have that monitor too! The price was attractive and it has worked well (also have never used a different one so can't compare). We are going to get a second one instead of adding a camera for the same reasons you mentioned, and also it just seems convenient to me to have a dedicated screen for each child.

We considered getting a sound only monitor, but I'm so glad we went with a video one - seeing what DS is actually up to when he makes noise has been so helpful. And I always check on him via the monitor once he's asleep to make sure he's not in some really whacky position - it gives me peace of mind without risking disturbing him by going in.
  • Options
    So a bunch of my coworkers have like 5+ cameras set up for security at each of their homes. They all use this brand and love them. I've been considering getting one as a baby monitor. I am of course concerned about security and the hackability of them but I think if there's only one pointed at the crib and nothing else it should be fine. The one linked below has audio but I think if a person was concerned about conversations being over heard they could get the other camera in this brand that doesn't have audio and just use the original audio only monitors on top of this. Idk. What do you guys think?

https://www.target.com/p/wyze-cam-v2-1080p-hd-indoor-wireless-smart-home-camera-with-night-vision-2-way-audio-alexa-compatible-white-wyzec2/-/A-53541691

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @LJMoon6 We have nest cameras all over my house... I'm truthfully not worried about someone spying on us... we're boring ;) But they bring me great peace of mind when I leave my daughter with the nanny and/or any other baby sitter. We have one in my daughters room and then in all common areas of the house (obvi no bathrooms) and no other bedrooms, though we'll add another one for this new babies nursery. We also have them outside so I can see who is coming and going, and when they are playing in the yard. I love them for all of these reasons, but I would NOT use it strictly as a baby monitor. You need to have a device open (phone, tablet) and streaming the entire night if used as a baby monitor. Idk about those cameras particularly but I know the Nest will time out after a while if just left open like that. Plus, with a dedicated baby monitor you can see the baby much closer up, focus just on crib, see breathing, etc. where you can't with those types of cameras. 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    @kgg2241 We didn't use a monitor with DS, partially because we lived in a small apartment, and partially because I didn't really think it was necessary. We didn't plan on it, but ended up cosleeping so never felt the need to.

This time around, I'm fed up with with the cosleeping situation (currently trying to break the habit with DS who is 3) and plan to be militant about baby sleeping in it's own crib from day 1. We also have a 2 story house now, so I definitely want a video monitor. I know the wifi camera horror stories, but I think we will still go with one that links to our iPhones for easy access. 

• Options
    @kgg2241 @themadcamel I did audio only for DS and haven't ever had an issue with it.  I live in a not-small house and we frequently take the monitor outside while he's napping.  Sometimes I wish I had video so I could see just how awake he is when he starts to wake.  Like, is he just fussing and going back to sleep or is he standing up and ready to get up?  But I'm having a hard time justifying an extra $40 (at minimum) for the added benefit.  We'll see what we do with DS2.  TBD.  DH is definitely leaning towards audio only again.

I don't have any personal experience with the Owlet, but have heard that the false alarms are frequent and terrifying and wake up the whole house (including the baby).  DS1 slept in our room in a Pack N Play for the first 6-7 mos, so it was easy to check on him and I was less of a worry wart by the time we moved him to his nursery (although I still went in to check on him here and there) because he had shown that he turned his face when he laid on his stomach and never seemed to be in compromised positions.  
  • Options
    @mamaber2204 I think we are planning audio only. I'm a fan of it just being analog. Which one did you use?
  • Options
    @janat1717 We use the VTech one. I think it was $30 and it's been great!