August 2019 Moms

GTKY: Lets Binge

What are your favorite binge worthy shows? Please feel free to share where they can be streamed if that’s an option - I figure this will come in handy to most all of us come baby time.

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: Lets Binge

• aukeevaukeev member
    edited April 2019
    All on Netflix except for GOT:

Action/Suspense (not sure what else you would call these):
    Game of Thrones
    Peaky Blinders
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Dexter
    Prison Break
    Making a Murderer
    Stranger Things

Drama:
    How to Get Away with Murder
    Grey's Anatomy
    Parenthood
    Gilmore Girls
    Atypical

Comedy:
    Parks and Rec
    The Office
    Friends
  • Loading the player...
  • I just finished binging Handmaids Tail - not for the wary and plan to cry every single episode.  
    I also binge call of the midwife bc its just so good. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• I love TV!

Hulu:

Brockmire (DH and I just watched the first two seasons and it was so good! 3rd just started)
    The Bold Type (group of early/mid 20's women working at a feminist magazine)
    Younger
    Find Me in Paris (mix of the movie Center Stage and time travel)
    Queen Sugar

Amazon Prime:
    The Tick
    Victoria
    Catastrophe
    Homecoming
    Britannia
    Red Oaks
    Poldark

Netflix:
    Versailles
    Medici
    Derry Girls
    Sex Education
    Episodes
    The End of the F***ing World
    Schitt's Creek
    I'm Sorry
    Better Things
    American Vandal
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This makes me very sad to admit, but I really only watch TV during maternity leaves (NOT on principle, I love a good show).  For DD1, I binged Scandal, Revenge, and The Good Wife.  For DD2, it was Madam Secretary, Friends from College, and probably something else I'm forgetting.  Other shows I've loved through the years are: Friday Night Lights and Parks and Rec.  I'm going to have to find something good for August! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • hemlheml member
    Damages is one of my all-time favorite binges. I believe it’s on Netflix (but maybe it’s Hulu?). Glenn Close and Rose Byrne are outstanding. 

I would still say House of Cards is binge-worthy (and it’s certainly okay to go into it hating Kevin Spacey). 

Insecure on HBO is one of my favs. I still think about the Coachella episode from last season and laugh. There should be a season 4 at some point, so you can binge the first 3 seasons and catchup. 
  • @heml - I really enjoyed Damages!

I binged The Wire about a year ago and was obsessed. I watched the first few episodes of Shrill on Hulu - Aidy Bryant is great and it's hilarious/painful/awkward. I'm also always watching and re-watching Frasier.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    Handmaid's Tale
    Lost
    The Walking Dead

• So many of these are so great and on my list! I LOVE newborn bingewatching, and have been reserving a full GoT binge rewatch for this baby. 

Some others that may not have been mentioned:
    Cartoons: Bob's Burgers and Archer (which used to be on Netflix but they were removed, so I'm not sure where they are now)
    The Crown (Netflix)
    Queer Eye (Netflix)
    Great British Bake Off (Netflix)
    Fargo
    And I love binging British costume dramas--North and South is on Netflix; anything Jane Austen; Cranford
    Also my favorite show ever is Thick of It, which was on Hulu and not sure if it still is. It's the same showrunner as the first seasons of Veep on HBO (also recommended)
  • MollyH1987MollyH1987 member
    edited April 2019
    I agree with most of these shows and the others I haven't seen yet. This thread will be a nice list for maternity leave :-)

I would like add the show Eureka. I think it's on Prime right now.

ETA: words are hard

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
  • hemlheml member
    @cato99 How could I forget The Crown! Also thanks for the reminder to catch up on Veep, I think I’m one season behind and def want to watch the last season currently on
  • So many good shows listed already, so I'll add some I haven't seen mentioned above. 

Amazon Prime:
    Orphan Black

Hulu:
    Scrubs (this is just such a classic)
    Brooklyn-99
    Buffy (I did a rewatch last year and it was so nostalgic.)

Netflix: 
    Nailed It! (reality TV baking show)
    Arrested Development (Seasons 1-3) I don't like the Netflix revival. 

I also loved Stranger Things, and have re-watched The Office and Parks and Rec more times than I can count. Also agree with @cato99 on Veep: So funny. 

@sw1122 DH and I started watching Cheers on Netflix I watched it as a kid, but he's never seen it. He wants to watch Frasier, but I encouraged him to at least watch the Frasier seasons on Cheers first. 

@EmilyA724 I've heard such good things about Schitt's Creek. It is definitely on my list for maternity leave

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @heml and @cato99 AHHH VEEP. That was the other show I binged during leave for DD2. I haven't watched since though, so I have some catching up to do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited April 2019
    @EmilyA724 - How is The Tick? I was a HUGE fan of the cartoon as a kid and was on the fence. And HOW GREAT is I'm Sorry!? <3 (I'm TOTALLY that parent)

@cato99 - I'm 95% sure Archer is on Hulu for Seasons 1-9 (10 comes out in May - whoop!!!!).

@Avrilmai - Same, I can recite almost every Parks & Rec and Office episode, verbatim.

Here are some great things on Hulu (many of which are probably on Netflix, too) - and with just the basic subscription:
    SciFi
    The Orville (I'm such a Star Trek NG lover, this is absolutely amazing - it does have Seth McFarlane BUT not the overly-raunchy one-liners ... basically it's NG+current world issues+solid humor/jokes)
    Star Trek NG (*obviously)
    Future Man
    X-Files
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (a dark take on the Nostalgic "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch")
    Nostalgia
    Dinosaurs
    Scrubs
    Buffy
    Will & Grace
    Dharma & Greg
    Golden Girls
    Home Improvement
    Family Matters
    Daria
    Living Single
    (I'll stop here, there are just SO many of them!)
    Underrated adult cartoons
    Archer
    Futurama (I've watch the series in it's entirety over 20 times)
    Bob's Burgers
    Robot Chicken (PERFECT for 10-15 min binges)
    The Awesomes
    Sitcoms
    Community
    Blackish
    Brooklyn-99
    Happy Endings
    Last Man Standing
    Realistic(ish)
    Better Things
    I'm Sorry!
    Bones
    Lie to Me
    TimePieces
    Vikings
    Drunk History

I've also really loved "Mad Men" on Netflix (timepiece re: 50s-early 70s NYC advertising).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @MamaK225 how did I forget Community it is one of my favorites! And Happy Endings. (both are on Hulu for anyone interested)

TTC#1 10/2016
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

• I am usually way behind the times on what’s popular and promptly fall asleep when I start watching TV, but I love this list!!! Especially the Netflix suggestions, since that’s currently our only source. 
  • Right? I'm still obsessed with the "Remedial Chaos Theory" episode (with the dice). And who can forget Troy & Abed in the morrrrrrrrrrrning!? Happy Endings was one of my absolute favorites and I was so sad when it got cancelled.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @MamaK225 I LOVE that episode. I laugh so hard that I cry. every. time.  It is excellent. 
    I recently found a list of the Happy Endings S1 eps in the order they should've aired. I'm thinking of doing another re-watch and trying out that order. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

• @MamaK225 and @Avrilmai I LOVED HAPPY ENDINGS THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REMINDING ME ABOUT MY SPIRIT ANIMAL JANE. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Avrilmai Schitt’s Creek is so good! It took about 3 episodes to grow on me, but it’s a damn near perfect series. Next season is going to be the final season so it’s the perfect time to binge!

@MamaK225 I really like the Tick! It’s got such a good outlandish tone. If you watched Dirk Gently, it’s got a similar tone to that. We watched the second season they just realeased in 3 days. 

I love I’m Sorry! She makes me feel like a normal parent, so that’s really good, haha. It’s such a good show for parents. 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Many great shows already listed, so I'll add:

- Gilmore Girls
    - Burn Notice 
    - Criminal Minds
    - Vampire Diaries
    - Mike & Molly
    - Big Bang Theory
    - Poldark (TW for child loss)

That's all I can think of that hasn't already been posted!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @Avrilmai hi tv twin!! 

I watched her the first 2 episodes of schitt’s Creek and gave up... maybe I needed to keep going because everyone is so obsessed! 

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on prime was really good... has the pacing of Gilmore girls (same writers) but way funnier IMO 

Arrested development is my all time favorite show (agree that the original seasons are better than the new Netflix episodes) 

The office and parks and Rec are basically background noise in our house 

• @jmesue1030 Schitt’s Creek is not dissimilar to Parks and Rec in that 1) the first season is definitely the most awkward, where they’re still finding their tone, but then when things click somewhere in season 2 it’s delightful, so I recommend powering through that first season or so and 2) one of my favorite things is the gradual building out of the community they live in like Parks and Rec does with Pawnee, like all these weird and hilarious minor characters from the town.  
  • mkrelmkrel member
    Wow, am I the only one that watches pitiful reality tv? I’ll go hang my head in shame as I catch up on Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills :smiley:
  • @mkrel nope!! I watch RHOBH, RHOC, and my favorite is RHONY!! I also still watch and LOVE the challenge on MTV. I’ve literally been watching since high school lol. Also a big fan of bachelor in paradise (not so much the bachelor/bachelorette) and big brother every summer!

@cato99 okay I’m gonna give it another shot. My bff loves it and we have the same taste in tv so I probably need to power through a few more episodes 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    @jmesue1030 my husband and I record and watch the challenge every week too.  It makes me feel so old, but I love it! 
  • Umm is the challenge some real world/road rules spin off??? I kind of want to watch this! 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @peachy0709 - Jane is my faaaaaaaaaaaaaave (https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/22-signs-youre-the-jane-kerkovich-from-happy-endings-of-your). If you love her, I think you'll enjoy I'm Sorry! because the mom/main character is similar (though there's a bit more vulgarity, given it's on FX). Also she's amazing on Futureman (Hulu) though it's definitely a sci-fi vibe.
    **History in Spoiler**

• @Avrilmai - my husband and I always go to Frasier when we can decide what to watch. I remember one time, we finished the series and then immediately started again on season 1 epi 1. I've actually never watched Cheers - -this might be my next binge/marathon.
  • @olivamama yes! It’s the same thing, they just don’t call it real world/road rules anymore since those shows no longer exist! Some of the same people are still on it though like Johnny bananas and CT! It’s seriously so good— competitions, strategy, hook ups, drama... it’s my kinda guilty pleasure 
  • @MamaK225 - DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS? I legit almost posted that list. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @MamaK225 I love Futureman! I'm so happy to see when people are watching it because I'm so nervous it's going to get cancelled. There's a character in the Tick that reminds us so much of Wolf.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jmesue1030 omg I know exactly who those people are without looking them up! Ha! They must be older than I am - I don’t know the last time I’ve tuned into MTV but I may need to look this up 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @EmilyA724 - Me, too! I spread the word whenever I can because I love the show so much. Oh Wolf ... weird, strange, literal Wolf.

@peachy0709 - Yup! I fought every urge to go down a Jane K rabbit-hole on the internets. Gotta get *some* work done today!
    **History in Spoiler**

• @jmesue1030 WHAT?!  Real World/Road Rules don't exist anymore?  I don't know why, but that news makes me feel so so old. 
  • @jmesue1030 WHAT?!  Real World/Road Rules don't exist anymore?  I don't know why, but that news makes me feel so so old. 
    @Twinkiedoll same. I didn't realize it wasn't a thing anymore, but I clearly remember watching the first season of road rules and I think I started with Season 2 or 3 of Real World. Wow, I'm becoming one of those "back in my day" kind of person.  :smiley:

TTC#1 10/2016
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

• mkrelmkrel member
    @olivemomma I hadn’t watched mtv in years but indulged in some teen mom over maternity leave. I saw a preview for the challenge and I remembered watching it years ago. I mentioned it to my husband and to my surprise he was all “I love that show, let’s record it” ha. 
  • I’m almost done with my Friends watching.  It’s hilarious.  And I’ve had my maternity binge watching planned for a while.  Parenthood followed by Greys Anatomy 
  • @purplg8r Omg Parenthood, yessss!!! If only I still had Netflix... though I'm sure I'm saving myself buckets of tears this way, given how emotional that show sometimes made my not-pregnant self.

So many shows I love have already been listed, so I'll just add:

The West Wing
    Sherlock
    24 (season 1)
    Firefly
    Gossip Girl