October 2019 Moms

NT/NIPT Discussion Thread

12346»

Re: NT/NIPT Discussion Thread

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Cass005 said:
    Thank you everyone for the virtual hugs and thoughts. Doc called last night, Trisomies and DS were low risk. However there was an elevated risk for DiGeorge Syndrome.Today they are going to call me with the name and number for a genetic counselor. Doc was very helpful  but he said it would be best to see one because they can do a better US at 18 weeks to clarify any noticeable issues.
    I hope you get good news!

FWIW, natera reports that there is only a 20% positive predictive value for it (so, 20% chance of it actually being there when flagged as high risk) so you have a high chance its a false positive. I don’t want to give false hope, but there is some to be had here
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @rachel-greene2 and @Cass005 thinking of you ladies, I’m so sorry you’re both going through this stressful time ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • @cmbt2 Yea, my doctor was explaining that last night, I'll be honest all the numbers were really confusing me lol. But were trying to not stress out until we do additional testing with the counselor.

@SLou24 Thank you :)
  • @PenelopeSnuz77 Mine was through Progenity, and I haven't received a single bill. I'm 35, though, so I think my insurance is covering more than you might expect.

~*~*~*~*FTM!*~*~*~*~*
    Married 10/17/09
    TTC since 2/16
    BFP 2/4/19
    EDD 10/15/19

• @Schumerator haha I'm team green too and they asked me three times if I was sure I didn't want to know before they sent the NIPT off! But like @marbellie I found it pretty easy to stay strong. Yay Team Green! 
  • @obsessedwithoranges @marbellie @Schumerator Agree with being able to stay Team Green. I too thought I would want to know when they told me they knew but we held strong. It is amazing how proud of myself I felt not finding out!  I did tell her that it is super weird I am talking to someone who knows the gender and we don't, but besides for that, I am good with it still!  They actually told me they request patients doing the NIPT test to get the gender because they like to confirm it is the same as the anatomy scan since they have seen issues. I was like isnt it 99% correct, and she was wishy-washy, but said there might be other problems if the results are not the same, they need to figure out why. So even if we didn't want to find out, the doctor had to!
  • I know this isn't the perfect place for this because it's about the anatomy scan, but we don't have one yet and I figured it was still relevant to the info here. 

I'm super annoyed at my local hospital of choice. I want to do my AS at 18 weeks for reasons discussed here relating to TFMR. Plus my midwife wants me to get it at 18 weeks so we can discuss it at my next appointment (19 weeks). The hospital just called to schedule during my 20th week and said that's what my midwife put and that they don't schedule earlier than the 19th week there. Then said "I know you want to know the sex, but baby grows so much between 19-20 weeks..." 🙄🙄 I told her we already knew the sex and that finding out if anything was wrong as early as possible was actually my top priority. Called my midwife back and she said they've been going back and forth with them all day and sent my request 4 times! I decided to just give them permission to call the other local hospital to put in my AS request there haha 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @nnaelilak I *hate* trying to get the anatomy scan scheduled. HATE IT. Hospitals usually have policies that don’t line up with providers, so getting them scheduled is such a pain
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 it's all so complicated and silly 🤦🏼‍♀️ 
  • galentinegalentine member
    edited April 2019
    @nnaelilak, I also asked about scheduling my A/S at 18 or 19 weeks, but my doctor said my insurance won't cover it until 20 weeks. I'm going to ask again at my next appointment just in case. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    @nnaelilak, I also asked about scheduling my A/S at 18 or 19 weeks, but my doctor said my insurance won't cover it until 20 weeks. I'm going to ask again at my next appointment just in case. 
    This is odd to me, maybe call your insurance? I mean, I’m sure there’s companies that do this, but I’ve never seen it 🤷🏼‍♀️

I had different insurance for DS1 than I did for DS2 and this one, and not once, did they go “oh, 18w is too early.” I’m sure plans like that exist, though, I’d expect that from the ones that refuse to cover any other scans
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    galentine said:
    This is odd to me, maybe call your insurance? I mean, I’m sure there’s companies that do this, but I’ve never seen it 🤷🏼‍♀️

I had different insurance for DS1 than I did for DS2 and this one, and not once, did they go “oh, 18w is too early.” I’m sure plans like that exist, though, I’d expect that from the ones that refuse to cover any other scans
    I didn't phrase my first post very well, let me clarify: the doctor said they don't like to schedule A/S prior to 20 weeks "for insurance reasons" but not necessarily because my insurance doesn't cover it prior to 20 weeks. (I realize that's exactly what my first post said, so my bad.) I think what she meant was insurance will only cover one A/S. And then the concern is if the A/S is done too early and they need to repeat it because some body part is not yet developed enough to see, that insurance would not cover the repeat scan. I'm also somewhat rural, so it's possible my U/S place has a lesser level of imaging that plays into this? Or else my doctor is just being overly careful. Either way, I plan to ask for clarification at my next appointment, because I'd really like it done a little sooner if possible. 
  • @Schumerator seems like you're meant for team green!! 💚😂😍
  • @galentine my hospital mentioned the risk of a redo being needed at 18 weeks too... 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    edited April 2019
    nnaelilak said:
    @galentine my hospital mentioned the risk of a redo being needed at 18 weeks too... 
    it’s rare if your dates are correct, as an FYI. Most redos occur due to uncooperative children 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @Schumerator yay!!  So glad that you got good results!!  💚
  • Warning about Natera Billing: I took the Natera Panorama and Horizon tests a few weeks ago.  I was worried about whether or not my insurance covered the test, but my OB said that the company has an out-of-pocket max price of $250, and I was comfortable with that. 

So yesterday 4/16, I got an email that said it was adressed from "Support" with the subject line "Your Insurance Estimate." It turns out that email was from Natera, letting me know that my estimated cost, if I chose to go through insurance, would be over $1,500. Or I had the option of paying Natera directly and getting the lower rate of $500 ($250 per test). I had to pay that by April 19, or else they'd just bill insurance. That gave me three days. So I called my insurance company and confirmed that the Horizon test would not be covered, and the Panorama test is technically covered, but since we haven't hit our deductible yet, we'd be paying for it. So obviously, I'm going to pay Natera directly to get the better price, but it sucks that it won't count towards our deductible. 

I just thought it was so sleazy that a) they only reach out via email and not with a call or paper bill, b) the email was so nondescript, being from "support" regarding "insurance estimate." I almost didn't open it because I thought it was spam trying to sell me auto or life insurance and c) worst of all, they give you three days in which to decide and pay them, otherwise you're on the hook for the full amount. It's like a shakedown. And what if this had ended up in my spam filter? Or what if I'd been on vacation or something when this email came in? I'm definitely going to complain to my OB's practice about Natera. Not everyone is able to pay a $500 bill out of the blue on such short notice. Not everyone has the time to call their insurance company and sort out what the cost would be through insurance. Hell, a lot of people don't even check their email that often. Anyway, I just wanted to pass this on, and warn everyone to keep a close eye on your email inbox if you had Natera tests! Otherwise you could be liable for a huge chunk of change. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @Snaps816 call them about it. They’re very reasonable on the phone, and that email sounds shady. I got a bill in the mail last time and 30 days to pay or set up a payment plan
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    @Snaps816 call them about it. They’re very reasonable on the phone, and that email sounds shady. I got a bill in the mail last time and 30 days to pay or set up a payment plan
    This. I would absolutely call them before paying ANYTHING. I got a notice in the mail about the insurance estimate, but it clearly said that if insurance didn't pay, I would not be expected to pay that amount. It made it clear that it was not a bill and didn't set any terms for me to respond, etc. This sounds very strange to me.
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    TIL that NIPTs are covered by FSAs, as an FYI
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    I would not have thought of this, thanks for the tip!
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    I would not have thought of this, thanks for the tip!
    Dependent on your plan, you may need your doctor to right a “yes, it’s medically needed” note but not all require it. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • I met with the genetics counselor on Monday. Boy was it overwhelming, so much information in one meeting. I felt like I was in a sales call for family history testing. She went over the next steps for testing which okay great. Our next US is at 20 weeks, and then possibly a fetal echo cardiogram. The only thing that I didn't like was she asked me if I went for the Translucent Nuchual (spelling?) US and I was told that it was optional. I didn't and now I feel like a complete idiot that I should have gone.
  • At my OB appointment today, they ordered a maternal serum AFP screening to be done between 16 and 18 weeks. My results for NT scan and NIPT were both low risk, but I guess this is just another way to discover potential problems. This is a new one to me and was not even offered in my last pregnancy even though my risk factors were the same (I was AMA for #1 as well).  Anyone else having/had this done? 
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• @mrsinterweb I think I remember having that done last time. It’s to screen for neural tube defects right? Or am I thinking of something else?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @greenbean-2 Yes that's the one. I'm going to go ahead and have it done, but feel I'm back to being nervous about the potential for more invasive tests being needed if results come back outside normal limits. Just thought I'd crossed that threshold with the other tests. Oh well, I guess that's the name of the pregnancy game.

*TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• So I'm way behind on these tests thanks to a crummy nurse. Anyway, I got them done (I was told on Thursday that everything came back low risk, thank goodness!), and Natera called me yesterday telling me I can either pay them outright by May 22nd in the amount of $498, or have it submitted through insurance for $1,350. I'm planning to call my insurance and see if that's before the insurance discount or after, because that's such a ridiculous spread.

Those with similar "issues" with Natera billing, what was your outcome? @nnaelilak is giving me a little hope!
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t natera has gone down so much in the past 3 years, they billed me for $8600 when insurance was denied with my son!! They also did not bill me until after his due date which really bugged me. We were dealing with the NICU and a craniosynostosis diagnosis and I didn't have time to deal with it, so I ignored them or maybe called them once with no real resolution... I never saw a third bill lol probably shouldn't recommend that though 😬😂