Infertility
Options

Need Hope - success stories after failed attempts

Hi everyone,

My DH and I have been ttc for sometime now.

We learned that we had a Male infertility factor last year. I am of AMA at this point but all of my tests have come back great. I've even had two doctors at my clinic comment that my ovaries look like that of a 20 year old. I did have one slight spike in THS during one cycle but they said it was sub clinical and put me on medication. My levels have been great since.

We tried 2 IUIs first (one was a back to back IUI) because that is what insurance would pay for. My clinic is wonderful and they sat down with us after the second failed IUI and explained that our chances of success with IUI were very low because of our MIF. They said that with IVF we would have a far greater chance.

We did IVF with a frozen transfer of two embryos (one high quality and one good) which failed.

So we did a FET with our remaining embryo. They felt our chances were good because they stated the quality of that embryo was superb. They added blood thinners. I had a hysteroscopy and a uterine scratch. They said the lining of my uterus looked good but was a little thick. They added an HCG wash and interlipids. That transfer also failed.

We went through another IVF cycle recently. They could fertilize all 4 eggs retrieved. Though they froze them at day 3 instead of 5 this time. I am not sure why. Two are good quality and two are fair quality. They said all four are exactly where they need to be for cell count.

They want me to add IVIG and Neupogen next transfer in case there may be some undiagnosed or low level autoimmune challenges. They put me on a low carb no gluten diet, which has been great and reduced my migraines. They also want to do a PRP wash along with the HCG wash.

I'm trying to maintain my faith but it has been difficult.

I would greatly appreciate some stories of positive results after multiple failures.

Thank you in advance,  ladies 

Re: Need Hope - success stories after failed attempts

• Options
    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your failed attempts, were they BFNs or biochemical pregnancies/losses? If it is BFNs it might worth while to do an ERA. It seems that your clinic is getting pretty aggressive right away and is willing to think out of the box. Is there any reason they put you on blood thinners and an autoimmune protocol, or is it just precaution? I would also ask why they didn't allow the embryos to go to day 5, as it seems like you were able to create some great embryos the first go around! 

I think IVF is ultimately a luck/numbers game, and you now have 4 additional frozen embryos, which is great! 

**trigger warning**
    We were lucky to have success with our first transfer, but we just had an early loss with our first FET of an 5aa embryo. You just never know and I think the unknown is honestly the hardest part. I would happily go through multiple failed transfers if I was absolutely sure I would conceive at some point, it sucks that in ART there is no guarantees! 
    Me: 31 DH:35 Married: 2010. 
    FSH: 5.7, AMH: 4.7
    Found 2.6 cm Endometrioma in March 2013: decided we should TTC
    2 rounds of Femara+ TI Nov-Dec 2013: BFN
    Lap Jan. 2014: removed endometrioma Dx: Stage 4 Endo
    Feb 2014: another round of Femara+TI: BFN, endometrioma is back!
    March 2014- July 2014: continous Lupron to shrink endo 
    July 2014: IVF 1: 9R, 7M, 5F, 5 beautiful day 5 blasts! eSET, 4 snowbabies! Beta: #1 2936 Beta # 2 7684 1st ultrasound 5w6d: saw yolk and sac, 2nd ultrasound 6w6d: heartbeat!! 112 bpm 7w6d heartbeat!! 148 bpm 9w 2d measuring right on track heartbeat! 175 bpm
    **Praying for a H&H 9 months**

• Options
    Thank you for your response. I am so very sorry for your loss. 

The results were BFNs.

I have a history of fatigue, migraines and joint inflammation. Though my DH's results are low, they aren't absolutely terrible and we tried for a couple years prior to seeking fertility help so I feel they've been very proactive based on my age and health history. I think they are being aggressive because on paper, other than my age (now 39), there should not be a reason I cannot conceive with IVF.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here’s my success story...

My husband and I tried for 7 years to conceive. We started with IUIs (5), before moving onto IVF. I always responded well during the IUI cycles, but we just never had luck. We did 3 fresh rounds of IVF- always getting lots of eggs due to my pcos (40-55 per cycle). However, most of the embryos were poor quality, so we chose pgs testing. We did a total of 7 FETs and 4 ERAs. The first 5 FETs were medicated cycles, and the last 2 were natural. Prior to the last 2 cycles my doctor recommended a d&c to clear out the lining and let a fresh one form. She ended up finding a septum, which she thinks was preventing the embryos from implanting. I’m not sure why this wasn’t discovered during one of the four hysteroscopies I had. We did 2 ERAs throughout the medicated cycles in order to find the right window for implantation, and then did another 2 prior to my last natural FET (which resulted in my now 4 month old).  I think a big part of my success was the d&c to remove the septum, and the ERAs to find the right window.  

I would definitely ask your doctor about doing an ERA to make sure you’re transferring at the right time. It would be heartbreaking to waste embryos. It may also be a good idea to consider a d&c, just to make sure there’s nothing preventing the embryos from implanting. I wish you all the best and hope you have success- don’t give up!