October 2019 Moms

Depression and anxiety

I’m pretty new here and don’t typically put myself out like this, but I’m a little lost and need some advice. I suffer from depression and anxiety (mainly horrible anxiety), which is usually managed well with an antidepressant. Of course since becoming pregnant, I am no longer taking this and now finding myself struggling HARD. I’m 12w1d and my OB has been monitoring me for worsening. I can chalk some of this up to hormones, but I know I’m really having a tough go of it and only seem to be getting worse. I’ve been pretty adamant about not taking anything (even for headaches and heartburn) up to this point, but my coping skills are coming up short and I’m having anxiety and panic attacks daily. Has anyone struggles with this and how have you managed? This is my first pregnancy and I’m a little lost on what to do. Thanks friends. 

Re: Depression and anxiety

• @rspflueger Look into our Mental Wellness Thread for some really good insight and others who can relate. 💛
    DD 10/2019
  • @rspflueger I have had a lot of pregnancy-related anxiety myself, and I found a therapist who specializes in family planning, prenatal, post-partum, and basically all things women's health related. It's been very helpful to talk to someone who isn't family/thinks I should be so elated, even though I've not been. Just know you aren't alone even if it feels like it. Hope you can find some relief.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm someone who definitely deals with a huge uptick in anxiety and depression when pregnant. I have bipolar and OCD, and pregnancy doesn't help at all. I assume you're working with a psychiatrist about going off your medications? If things feel too overwhelming, I'd encourage you to talk about medication options, even if what you were on isn't safe for pregnancy. There are always other choices, and keeping you safe and stable is going to be the best thing for your baby. It can feel scary and overwhelming when you're considering taking medications during pregnancy, but I hope you have a psychiatrist you feel safe working with. I'm someone who has to stay on my medication despite the risks/unknowns to my pregnancy, and while it feels scary, it's the only way I'd survive it. 

For non medication supports, have you looked into DBT or mindfulness practices? I've had a lot of success with DBT and emotional regulation for my anxiety. It's not easy and pregnancy might not be the ideal time to start the work, but it still might be better than nothing. "Name it to tame it" is one of the things they teach in DBT, and I find it helps with this. One of the most helpful thoughts I hold in my head, having gone through this before, is categorizing this uptick in depressed thoughts and feelings as just one more pregnancy symptom. Like I'm legit saying to myself, nauseous? check! depressed? check! definitely pregnant. It doesn't make me unworthy of pregnancy, and it doesn't mean I'm going to be a bad parent. It just means that I'm experiencing one of my most common pregnancy symptoms, if that makes sense. 

And like @deatonpartyofthree said, a therapist is an excellent resource when you're navigating your mental health concerns alongside pregnancy. Best of luck to you in dealing with this.