October 2019 Moms
Options

TTMA raising girls and self esteem

technically, I should probably put this in the question thread or the STM thread, but you all know I like to be a SS sometimes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

seriously, though, those of you with girls, talk to me about raising a daughter and combating self esteem issues and gender conformity.ย 

Growing up, I constantly heard that I had to wear make up, heels, dresses, etc, to be pretty and a girl. That I was only pretty if I looked pleasing to others. I do none of those things, never really was my thing, and it really effected my self esteem growing up.

Weโ€™re going to raise her to be herself, and if she wants to do those things, fine. If not, thatโ€™s fine, too. But how do I combat all this when every other family member is of the above mindset and will tell her so?ย 
BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, Itโ€™s a Girl!
~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
High Risk Dx (6/14): ย Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies

Re: TTMA raising girls and self esteem

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @kindbytealikat my family has always been full of the โ€œgirls do thisโ€ and โ€œboys do thatโ€ mentality.ย 

Growing up as a teen, I had bad acne. They would constantly nag and push make up so that the spots wouldnโ€™t bother *other* people (they didnโ€™t bother me because I knew it was a normal thing about being a teen). I donโ€™t like my thighs rubbing together, so I never wanted to wear dresses or skirts, but the response was always โ€œyouโ€™re a girl! You need to wear them!โ€

i went into a field that has a very small number of females, which they donโ€™t understand because itโ€™s not a girl thing.

Iโ€™m already getting the โ€œshe cant wear her brothersโ€™ clothes! Theyโ€™re boy clothes!โ€ Who cares??? Iโ€™m not buying a brand new wardrobe of NB-18m clothing just because her sex is different. Sure, sheโ€™ll get some new things, but half of what we have is neutral anyway and that was always done intentionally.ย 

i get it a bit with my boys, as they have longish curly hair, play with dolls, like to play dress up, but Iโ€™m just really worried with watching how they are with my cousin (DS1โ€™s age) already and donโ€™t want that happening here. Luckily, this is the one thing my MIL and I agree upon.ย 
    ~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
    ~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
  • Options
    So I had (still kinda due) huge self esteem issues. I was not a girly girl because my mom didn't force me into it unless its what I wanted. She didn't like me wearing make up until a certain age and even then because of my acne she suggested I stay away from foundation. I also had a big weight problem. My mom didn't really encourage me to be active (we lived in a not nice neighborhood) so a couch potato lifestyle was instilled in me. I wasn't until middle/high school that I started trying to be more active to lose the weight. With My daughter we try to get her out and moving alot more than me. Also we expose her to female characters or people such as books with female leads, or letting her talk to female police officers. This way she knows that its something she can do to. I don't try to force her to wear specific things, she does like it though and that's fine. I think the only time I would want to step in is the skirts during 0 degree winter, or shorts that barely cover her behind haha.

• Options
    @cmbt2 I guess I should also clarify that growing up my parents filled very typical gender role stereotypes, except my mom did work full time. They just never pushed them on me and my sister. I never heard my dad says mom does that because itโ€™s her role type of thing. My mom would have never stood for that lol. My older sister didnโ€™t fall into the gender stereotype but I did. That said it wasnโ€™t pushed on me I have just always wanted to be a full time mom since I was little. But that is only to an extent because we share household work and what not in my house, as do my now retired parents.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    She's 3, so naturally brimming with confidence. As she gets older and faces criticism from her peers, I'm sure it will require more work to maintain, but she will always be encouraged to be herself and to be kind to others who are being themselves.ย 
    This scares me so much. DD has so much self confidence right now. It breaks my heart that someday someone will make her feel like something about her is not good enough.ย 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    She's 3, so naturally brimming with confidence. As she gets older and faces criticism from her peers, I'm sure it will require more work to maintain, but she will always be encouraged to be herself and to be kind to others who are being themselves.ย 
    This scares me so much. DD has so much self confidence right now. It breaks my heart that someday someone will make her feel like something about her is not good enough.ย 
    My son is the sweetest, purest thing and I cry sometimes if I think too much about how the innocence canโ€™t last ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    My son is the sweetest, purest thing and I cry sometimes if I think too much about how the innocence canโ€™t last ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    For real. Right now, his friends are pretty protective of him and donโ€™t care that he gets special ed, but I know one day that will change. ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    ~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
    ~~~ ย ~~~ ย ~~~
  • Options
    @ineedsixeggs weโ€™ve noticed the same thing having a boy and girl. If he plays with her dolls with her my in-laws (especially FIL) comments every time. But when sheโ€™s playing in dirt or with balls and trucks thereโ€™s never a single comment made. At home, thereโ€™s never a distinction we have toys theyโ€™re free to play with what they choose.