October 2019 Moms
Options

Childcare questions and discussion

Many of us are probably starting to think about childcare options and I thought we could use a thread devoted to this topic. No set format for this thread, but please feel free to chime in with questions, good and bad experiences that you’ve had, gripes about waitlist lengths, etc. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Childcare questions and discussion

• Options
    sammygirl18sammygirl18 member
    edited April 2019
    We’re going to visit a handful of places tomorrow! Does anyone have good questions to ask? As a FTM I’m kind of clueless what to look for in daycare!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Don’t get me started on waitlists... I got the last 2020 spot available at our center, and she’s starting in January. I solidified her spot the day I got my first positive beta. 

Our center can only take 8 infants (ages 6 weeks to 18 months) for reference and has stopped taking applications for any infants because they’re full through early 2021
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @sammygirl18 I would also ask how the allergies are handled. We've had issues with our daughter eating apples despite it being on her list of allergies.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Cass005 said:
    @sammygirl18 I would also ask how the allergies are handled. We've had issues with our daughter eating apples despite it being on her list of allergies.
    Also this. 

DS1 is fairly allergic to strawberries (instant hives). His preschool has given him strawberry jelly twice this year 😒 they had to ban them completely from his room because of carelessness
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @sammygirl18 If it’s a daycare center I would ask:
    - what is their turnover rate for teachers?
    - what are the credentials of lead teachers?
    - at what ages do kids move to new rooms? Is that flexible based on their developmental needs or does say, everyone move up as soon as they turn 2 or every September?

For an in-home daycare I would ask;
    - are you licensed?
    - who is around the children? (Eg if the daycare provider’s older kids are going to be around after school that’s good to know 
    - how do they handle different activities for different ages (Eg if your baby is just going to be in a bouncer all day while the daycare provider does fun things with the older kids, you want to know)

For either I would ask:
    - what is the cost and are there other fees?
    - who on staff is infant CPR certified? (not necessarily names, but every teacher? Just the director? Etc)
    - do they provide food after infancy?
    - are infants on a set schedule or do they all eat and sleep when they need to? (Note: I thought flexible infant schedules were better but my daughter basically never napped as an infant because there was always someone awake and that was more fun than sleeping. She’s much better now that she’s in a toddler room with a set schedule)
    - do they have a separate area for sleeping babies?
    - how do they handle communication with parents? - both day to day stuff like how much they ate, and the bigger developmental stuff
    - what is their policy for late pick ups? (you’ll be late someday despite your best intentions)
    - how do they handle discipline?
    - what is the teacher/child ratio?
    - if your child gets sick/power goes out/there’s a snowstorm and your child needs to be picked up early, how do they notify you and how long do you have to get there?
    - how many days per year is the center closed? When is it closed?
    - how long is the waitlist? If you are offered a spot and reject it, do you stay on the waitlist?
    - can you talk to a current/former parent whose kids go there?

I would pay attention to your gut reaction too. Sometimes a place just feels off in a way you can’t put your finger on. Avoid those. Try to find a place where the kids and teachers seem happy. The place we went with was less good on paper than another place we toured but we got a warmer vibe and it felt right in a way that the better-on-paper place did not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, waitlists.  Always ask the approximate wait times on a list.  I put DS2 on a waitlist for a daycare in October 2013 (3 mos before he was born) and got a call in December... except he’s about to go to kindergarten.  Good thing my DH ended up becoming a SAHP.
  • Options

I would pay attention to your gut reaction too. Sometimes a place just feels off in a way you can’t put your finger on. Avoid those. Try to find a place where the kids and teachers seem happy. The place we went with was less good on paper than another place we toured but we got a warmer vibe and it felt right in a way that the better-on-paper place did not. 
    ^THIS.

Don't let them rush your tour. Stay and observe. Watch how the employees treat the kids and each other. 

I actually ended up pulling DD out of her first daycare. Literally decided one day because I was just fed up and said 'yea she won't be back'. And then I called the state and filed a formal complaint lol

We are MUCH happier in her current daycare. 

The only thing I can think to add that hasn't been suggested is policy on breast milk (if you plan to BF). Some daycares have policies that require them to toss unused BM (insert crying face). I doubt it would be a deal breaker for me, but if there were two centers in the running and all other things were equal, it might tip the scales. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We did things a little less traditional. We are both working parents but didn't want to put DD1 in daycare right away and had a great opportunity to have a babysitter watch her at the neighbors house when I went back to work, along with the neighbor's twins who are a year older than DD1. She moved away when DD1 was 15 months so we decided to go with daycare. IMO, that was the best time to put her in daycare because she was in the 1 year old room, where they take 1 nap a day. Luckily, she had recently transitioned to 1 nap so the transition to the daycare routine was fairly easy at that age. I don't think I would've done it any differently given the choice.

This time we're going to keep DD1 in daycare and have a babysitter for this baby until he's about 15-18 months. It might end up a little more expensive but it is so worth it in my opinion. 

With that being said, I know so many who have started their baby in daycare when they go back to work and absolutely love it!  Just remember, do whatever works best for you and your family!!!
  • Options
    @alinic916 we thought about doing that for DD (around here they call that arrangement a nanny share) but we couldn’t find a nearby family to do it with. I agree that around 15 months is when I started really seeing a benefit to having DD in daycare. I will say that around then she was having some pretty intense separation anxiety, so it helped that we were handing her off to people she already knew and loved. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You are all awesome! Thank you so much! I’ve already teared up several times thinking about having to leave my baby. I want to make sure we find a place that will love our baby too. 
  • Options
    I think the biggest thing is to trust your gut. Is the facility clean? Is it well secured? How are the teachers interacting with the children? Are the toys age appropriate and developmentally stimulating? Do they follow a particular philosophy (eg Play-based, Positive parenting, Montessori, etc)? Are parents welcome to drop in at any time? (red flag if not!). What are their emergency procedures/policies?
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    We visited 4 places yesterday. One I just plain didn’t care for (validated by pulling a report from the state online) and the other had a waitlist and we couldn’t get in until August (that would have been nice to know on the phone). 

That leaves us with two. Overall they were pretty similar. Has anyone else taken multiple visits before? We happened to visit one during snack time and the other during nap time. It would be nice to see some of their other daily activities.

• Options
    @sammygirl18 We did a second visit after DD was born (we found out that we were definitely getting a spot about 2 weeks before I went back to work - very stressful). I found it was useful because we had a million new questions that I never would have thought of before DD was here (some specific to her individual needs). If your area is anything like mine, I would put yourself on both waitlists.  You may not get a choice between them in the end. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options