3rd Trimester

Weight gain, or lack there of

I have been struggling to eat a lot during this pregnancy due to food aversions and morning sickness early on. Durning these last few weeks I've really been upping my caloric intake but I'm still not gaining weight (I've only gained 15 lbs total and was underweight to start). Baby measures small (a little over 1 week behind) and has been growing slowly, 17th percentile at my last visit, which is down from 32nd at the prior visit. The doctor says it's likely just because I'm a small person, none the less they have me returning every other week for growth ultrasounds, the next one is on Tuesday. If he hasn't grown significantly at my visit on Tuesday I'm going to ask about possible early c section due to size, if they don't bring it up to me. Anyone had any experience in this area or can help me with ideas on how to gain weight? I'm already on limited activities because of bleeding from placenta previa. Plus I eat small meals/snacks nearly 24/7 while I'm awake, drink over 80oz of water/day as well as at least one glass of orange juice/day and one glass of milk/day.

Re: Weight gain, or lack there of

• What about high protein shakes?
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @missilaneous82 How far along are you?  DS had severe IUGR - he measured less than 5th percentile the whole pregnancy.  I had a c-section at 34 weeks due to his size and placental/umbilical cord failure.  It sounds like you are being monitored closely, which is a good thing.  

Babies that measure 10th percentile or lower are called SGA - small for gestational age.  That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong necessarily - they just might be small.  In some instances, it does indicate a medical problem.  Most likely, it has nothing to do with how much you are eating.  It has everything to do with the placenta and umbilical cord.  So please, don’t put blame on yourself.  Just keep going in for your check ups, keep monitoring the baby’s movements at home, and tell your doctor when you are concerned.  Good luck!
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Loading the player...
  • I've only gained 15 lbs so far and am 38+2. My fundal height is measuring fine, and OB doesn't seem concerned. 
    I def. monitor her movement (which is good) and have been staying active, so that could help as well. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I usually gain 20 lbs. This is my third pregnancy. I also usually measure small. Please, please reconsider having a c-section unless it's absolutely necessary!! Believe me, my second ended up being an emergency c-section.  Much harder recovery, much harder on baby. In my opinion,  c-sections happen waay too frequently and most of the time are completely avoidable!