July 2019 Moms
Options

Meal plans

What's everyone's dinner plans this week? We have been eating out way too much, and I need some inspiration to make me want to cook again.

Re: Meal plans

• Options
    @indulgentgypsy those burgers sound amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try that
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Monday: lasagna
    Tuesday: ground beef tacos
    Wednesday: Quinoa Sliders (it’s quinoa, frozen corn, black beans, Parmesan cheese. Mix with an egg, some bread crumbs and seasonings. Form like a burger and pan fry)
    Thursday: Leftovers 
    Friday: Eat Out
    Saturday: Steak, green beans & baked potatoes
    Sunday: pizza
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sunday and Monday: Chicken, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower rice
    Tuesday: ground turkey taco salads
    Wednesday: Tilapia, sweet potatoes, and green beans
    Thursday: Spaghetti 

• Options
    Since it's just DH and I we wing it most nights. I'm going to have to work on meal planning though...
  • Options
    @cindler same! We joked that once LO gets here we can’t wing it and will actually have to plan for the week 😂 no more cereal for dinner when we can’t think of anything to make 
  • Options
    @cindler when i started meal planning after DS was born, I would plan these super elaborate meals, and then get frustrated when I didn’t have time to make them lol. Now we have variations of the same thing every week, and it makes it a lot easier! Monday’s are pasta night, taco Tuesdays, Wednesdays I plan something that might take me a bit longer to make because my son is at school a bit longer than other days. Thursday’s are leftovers and then Friday-Sunday is some combination of eating out, frozen pizzas and a nicer dinner for DH and me. 
  • Options
    I don't ever meal plan and I have two kids  :o H is only home two nights a week and so we do take out usually for one or both nights because he is so picky. But nights with the kids is mostly just winging it... I have a whole chicken in the fridge that I will probably bake tomorrow and also picked up some wings to grill that were maybe for the weekend if my husband felt like it. 

I'm a few minutes from the grocery store, Im usually there a few nights a week picking up things for whatever I feel like cooking that night 
  • Options
    When I taught I cooked basically every night. I would actually plan out the week and LOVED it. Nowadays my job takes so much out of me that I have gone away from a lot of cooking. DH and I also really worked to eat less, so many nights one or both is us dont eat. It'll be a learning experience trying to balance cooking for LO (and having family meals) with my tiredness and trying not to eat when we're not hungry. I'm glad DH is a good cook and doesn't shy away from the kitchen!
  • Options
    I made white bean chicken chili tonight. Monday- chicken, olive oil and gArlic noodles and salad, Tuesday- perogies, kielbasa and peas in Alfredo Wed- salmon Thursday- hamburger helper and salad Friday- grilled cheese and tomato soup Saturday- group date night out for Mexican 
  • Options
    Monday: Pork Schnitzel and sauerkraut 
    Tuesday: Zucchini Alfredo with chicken and Brussels sprouts
    Wednesday: Harissa Mussels 
    Thursday: Chicken, broccoli and cheese bake
    Friday: Feta and olive zoodle salad and beef with cabbage noodles

• Options
    Sun- porkchops and gravy, cheesey wild rice, roasted greenbeans
    Mon- sloppy Joe's, mac'n cheese, and broccoli
    Tues- Spaghetti, roasted carrots, and salad
    Wed- Baked chicken, sweet potato fries, and mixed veggies
    Thurs- one pot sausage, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. 
    Fri- hamburgers and fries
    Sat- chicken, fried okra, and lima beans. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I was the worst at meal planning. I’ve been a blue apron subscriber for over 2 years and plan to continue. 
    That covers 3 meals. 
    This week, we have Smoky Ancho baked chicken with rice and black beans, Nashville Hot chicken with Kale and Sweet Potatoes, Pork Burgers with Coleslaw. 
    We have activities on Wednesday for me and Thursday for hubs, so we usually just grab Chipotle or something like that on those two nights. 
  • Options
    We sort of meal plan, but with DH leaving and me so exhausted, we haven't really planned planned like we should.

Flank steak on the grill with gnocchi and salad
    Instant Pot chicken risotto
    Burgers on the grill
  • Options
    I also try to stick to theme nights...pasta, "tacos" aka Mexican, etc.
    This week: Mushroom Tortellini + salad
    Beef Taquitos
    Supposed to be tomato soup + grilled cheese but my asshole dog stole the loaf of bread off the counter soooo...
    Red Beans & Rice with turkey smoked sausage
    And that's about as far as I've gotten lol. I guess I can still eat the tomato soup. Might get pizza tomorrow because I'm really running out of steam.
  • Options
    We don't meal plan either, but I am wondering if we will have to once we have the baby.  It's helpful to see all your planning lists.  We usually just throw something together, because we keep certain staples on hand, and meat or seafood and veggies in the fridge and freezer.  Whatever we make usually lasts 2 days (4 meals).  Sometimes we just have random snack-y stuff for dinner sort of like tapas.  For those of you who plan for different meals every night, what do you do with leftovers?  Or do you make a specific quantity so that there aren't leftovers?
  • Options
    Sunday: Lemon-pepper trout, baked potato, and sauteed spinach
    Monday: Chicken thighs, potato salad, baked beans
    Tuesday: Pork loin, sweet potato, and roasted brussel sprouts
    Wednesday: Honey-Sriracha chicken meatballs, coconut rice, and an asian salad mix
    Thursday: Baked Chicken, broccoli and roasted potatoes. (BTW: Best baked chicken ever: mix mayo, parmesan, and french onions, spread mixture on top, and bake at 425 for 20 minutes.)
    Friday: Burgers, asparagus, corn on the cob

We are having a really good food week. Over the weekend, my mom and I made a ton of different chicken marinades and froze pre-portioned chicken breasts and thighs in the marinades. We also did the chicken meatballs. In total it was 10 four-person meals! It took all day Sunday, but it has been so nice to just grab pre-marinated meat out of the freezer and throw together a couple of sides.

Also for lunch this week, I made Cuban sandwiches with the leftover pork loin. Last week I froze a bunch of individual sized taco meat, and I ate that with a taco salad for one lunch this week... it was so good! 
  • Options
    Oh! And I love the theme night idea! We do fun fast Fridays. We try to do something that is really fast to cook, but fun to eat. Our favorites are "fried" catfish in air fryer, chili dogs, hamburgers, or low country boil. Having an air fryer has helped so much, because air fryer hotdogs and hamburgers are DELICIOUS and much easier than other cooking methods.
  • Options
    @hinotes I eat leftovers for lunch, and if they really pile up we just have them for dinner one night.
  • Options
    @hinotes I don’t think meal planning is an absolute necessity with a kid. If you want to do it, go for it but don’t feel like you have to. DS is 3 and we still don’t meal plan. We keep things like fruit, vegetables, meat, yogurt, and cheese around and then do 2-4 meals a week. We make plenty and use the leftovers for lunches/dinners throughout the week.
  • Options
    My meal plan for this week consists of 

Italian sausage with peppers and onions, brussel sprouts and pierogies.
    Hawaii pork skewers with roasted veggies and quinoa
    Lemon pepper chicken breast salads and a baked sweet potato
    Tofu burrito bowls 
    Shrimp linguine with salad 
    Loaded veggie pizza and Jalapeno poppers!  (DH family owns a few local pizza joints so they make sure this Prego is satisfied with the cravings😂)

We usually have some leftovers on certain nights and DH eats those for lunches throughout the week. It's very rare we throw food away at the end of the week. We have a 3 year old and without meal planning I wouldn't know what to throw together.
    I try to prep everything possible on Sunday afternoons. So that way dinners can be made quickly because said 3 year old is starving and ready to go at dinner time. 

• Options
    @foodislove do you have a link for the instapot chicken risotto!? That sounds delicious, and I don’t use my instapot nearly as much as I should! 
  • Options
    Tested anemic during my glucose test, so this week is all about iron! Suggestions welcome.

Mon: Kale (Spinach) Sausage Soup (italian sausage, chicken, spinach, salsa, lentils, barley, chicken broth) - normally I do kale in soups but trying with spinach instead.
    Tues: Burgers with baked potato wedges
    Wed: Grilled chicken with veggies and spinach/orange salad
    Thurs: Chili Baked Potatoes with spinach/orange salad
    Fri: Leftovers or eat out

• Options
    @quinniebear cream of wheat is what my OB said to try to eat daily because it has a ton of iron in it! I'm really hoping my numbers are good at my next appointment and the cream of wheat is making a difference because I hate iron supplements.
  • Options
    @quinniebear I tested anemic with my last two, and am expecting the same with this one when I go in a couple of weeks. Hope yours isn’t too bad! 

Mon- chicken Alfredo crescent roll ups
    tues- tacos in Doritos bags! 
    Wed- chicken, rice & black bean skillet
    thurs- leftovers
    fri- pizza
    sat- Eat out 
  • Options
    @Bear14+ mmmm cream of wheat. I (almost) hope I test low for iron so I have an excuse to eat it every day!
  • Options
    I almost hope for GD so I have a better reason to cut out junk and eat healthy. Just doing it because I should really doesn't seem to be working. 
  • Options
    @nolemomma14 I just Googled tacos in doritos bags, and now I want that for lunch.
  • Options
    @hinotes it’s so easy and delicious! We do taco Tuesday every week, but like to switch it up so we don’t get sick of it. So we will use ground beef, shrimp, chicken, pork, some weeks we do nachos, and every once in a while throw in the Doritos! My boys always think it’s so fun! 
  • Options
    @hinotes those are known as "Walking Tacos" around here😊

I grocery shop every two weeks so I plan for 2 weeks at a time. To make it easier I usually have a theme. This is the theme right now.

Monday-Casserole
    Tuesday-Sandwich night (burgers, sliders, sloppy joes, etc)
    Wed-leftovers
    Thurs-sheet pan or one pot meal
    Friday-meat, veggie, starch
    Saturday-crockpot

When I get tired of something I just switch it up. Or if we don't have many leftovers by Wednesday, I'll switch wed & thurs around. Sundays we either just have leftovers or soup for lunch and then sandwiches or brinner for dinner. I love making new things and use Pinterest a lot to find recipes. I also love my taste of home cookbooks especially the meals that are all on one page😊

• Options
    @Bear14+ I always forget about Cream of Wheat, that's a great idea!! I'm already on iron supplements but figure more dietary iron couldn't hurt. Apparently cooking in a cast iron pan adds a ton of iron to your food too, who knew?
  • Options
    I just remembered a theme night I used to do - Meatball Monday!

It was great, because I would make meatballs on Sunday with the meatball master (Amazon it... it is amazing!). Then I would put them in the air fryer Monday for an easy dinner. There is so many different variations of meatballs - Asian-style with rice and stir fry veggies, Swedish with egg noodles, spaghetti and meatballs.