April 2019 Moms

Baby out in the world!

STM's (and beyond), I am starting to plan ahead to not being prego and I am wondering about when its okay to leave the house with the baby. I am reading a few different things but most of the time it refers to crowds and people, but what about being outdoors in fresh air? 

What direction did you go or what guild lines did you follow? 

I am hoping *IF* I feel well enough we will be able to get out and do some light hiking or off-roading pretty soon after baby gets here. 
*by off-roading I mean mom and dad take turns keeping baby comfy at camp while we take turns going out for short rides* 

Re: Baby out in the world!

• That’s totally individual. I tend to be more careful about crowds, but fresh air at a park, no problem. It’s nice that cold and flu season is ending as we’re having our babies. 
    For me though, I prefer a period of staying home to rest and heal and bond and establish breastfeeding and all that. With my daughter she didn’t gain weight well and also didn’t sleep at all unless she was held, so I was basically a zombie and didn’t want to do anything for weeks. I also had bad tearing and everything hurt. But there are women who recover quickly, and babies who are chill from the start and gain weight easily and moms have no problem getting out. You’ll have to see, really. Also if you’re breastfeeding you may need to see how comfortable you are doing so in public, since newborns eat every 2-3 hours.

so really, I didn’t go by anyone’s guidelines. I just went with the fact that things weren’t going smoothly postpartum as far as healing for me, baby’s jaundice, and her difficulty gaining weight, so I stayed home and rested for a few weeks, other than getting out a few times and to visit the doc and lactation consultant. 
  • @HGRich Makes sense, thanks for the input! 
  • Loading the player...
  • You need to make sure you're 100% done bleeding before you go off roading.  Sometimes this is 3/4 weeks other times it's 8 weeks. The risk with still bleeding post birth is hemorage from the rough nature of off roading and your uterus not being fully healed yet. As for hiking, if you don't increase bleeding during or after the hike, you're (probably) fine. I usually wait a full 4 weeks before resuming my usual activity levels for what it's worth.
  • If you end up having a csection (whether planned or unplanned), it's best not to push yourself, either. I love being outdoors and was so frustrated by the limitations while I was waiting to heal but I followed the recommendations anyway. People I know who didn't wait a few weeks before driving and other activities ended up bursting stitches etc. I could barely hobble around 4 or 5 days after my surgery, it was rough!

Another thing to consider is weather - newborns shouldn't be out in the hot sun, so if it heats up it's best to hang out in the shade with baby. 

I would recommend seeing how things are going for you, recovery and sleep wise, and for baby, before making any concrete plans.
  • I could barely make it 20 min through Target for weeks. So definitely wasn’t doing any hiking. I agree that it depends on how you are healing.

I also had a kiddo with trouble gaining weight and we were at the doctors office for weight checks very often in the first couple of weeks. I also ended up not being able to breastfeed and with how often newborns eat, trying to do bottles in the wild for a prolonged period would  be annoying. 

You could be be one of those that bounces back fairly quickly. But you could also not be. It’s best not to make set in stone plans till you know how you feel. The 4th trimester/postpartum period is a whole different ball game. Give yourself time if you need it. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Becky012016 - I guess I didn't think about that, I do plan on starting slow easy dirt road trail rides but i'll just have to take it one day at a time. Im sure as a first time mom I am underestimating how to busy and distracted I will be to care by the time babe is here!  Same goes for hiking too, I should probably say in my head its more like dirt trail walking than anything strenuous. 

@sleepydaze - So true, but I have no shame making the hubby hook up the travel trailer even for short trips. If I am so lucky to be up for it early in my recovery. Heating and air on demand, baby will be comfortable at all times. 

@thatbaintforbetty - Yes at first I am thinking I would have no problem whipping a boob out on the trail or at the camp. But I agree - if we end up largely bottle feeding that would be quite the pain trying to sort out and keeping the bottles the right temp.  

Appreciate all the honesty ladies, certainly some things I need to consider. I do know its mostly a wait and see thing but thanks for talking it out with me anyway. 
  • We went for smooth path walks within 3 weeks with dd1. 

Generally in public I baby wore her in a moby/boba and didn’t let folks breathe on her. She was a December baby. 

With this his guy I’m hoping to feel well enough to go to the ocean and sit or a park so that we can get outside time with dd1 (3.3yrs)
  • I'm currently 10 days PP from a normal vaginal birth without complications and I can handle about 25-30 minute of walking around my neighborhood (sidewalks) - it doesn't wipe me out but it is certainly enough to make me break a sweat on the big hills. I would be concerned that trying to do much more than that could potentially interfere with your healing...they do tell us to take it easy for a reason! :)

Maybe start small and see how you feel? It's always easier to add more activity in than over-doing it and regretting it. I also second getting over your major bleeding before doing any off-roading. 

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• If it’s cold stay inside -postpartum moms are very susceptible to the cold. If the weather is nice enjoy the fresh air and vitamin D just avoid drafts. Sunlight helps prevent Jaundice in newborns and getting them outside for 10min every day is great. Keep an eye on your bleeding if it gets heavier you are doing to much! 

I would try try to plan on being low key the first 2 weeks or so -lounging on the patio in the sun with your baby in nice weather etc. then if you’re up to it enjoy being out in fresh air for walks, light hikes, nice ride in a golf cart etc (avoid crowds and lots of germs).