November 2019 Moms

Anxiety/depression?

Just wondering if anyone else is being treated for anxiety and depression and is continuing meds while pregnant? I had previously been on Lexapro and Wellbutrin before pregnancy and was doing really well. When I found out I was pregnant I opted to taper off the meds. I am down to one med for a few more days. The past two days have been really hard. It’s hard to get up and go to work, hard to get through the day. I’m actually going in late today. When I saw my primary care doctor on Monday she said I have the option of trying Zoloft if I feel like I need it. She said she has had many pregnant patients on it and it it considered a class C pregnancy drug. Have any of you gone this route?

Re: Anxiety/depression?

• I had been tapering *very slowly* off Zoloft for several months. I was down to an incredibly small dose when I got my positive and stopped taking it that day. I was still nervous about withdrawal since I seem to be very sensitive to the changes, but it's been fine for me. That being said, I was always of the mindset that if I wasn't doing well, I would continue it or go back on it. Several doctors have told me that Zoloft is one of the safest in pregnancy, and I too know several woman personally that remained on it during their pregnancy and also BF. The increased cortisol from anxiety and depression is more "harmful" to a developing fetus than taking something like Zoloft; no shame in that game! I'll also say, the reason I started the Zoloft was more situational and after being on it for a year or so, the issue that was exacerbating my symptoms was gone so it wasn't that I just wanted to get off of it because of pregnancy.  I'm not sure if you've tapered off meds before, but there sometimes is a slump/discontinuation period a person can go through, especially if you try to taper too quickly where you can feel your depressive or anxious symptoms more acutely. It may be something that changes for you as your body adjusts, but there's also no reason to suffer. I hope that makes sense. Hormonal changes could also be playing into your emotions and feelings.  I'm glad you are talking to your doctor about it and he or she is supportive.
  • I suffer from anxiety, currently on Ciprolex.  I remember having bad anxiety with my second pregnancy and had a hard time going out in public with my son.  I'm still going to continue on my medication (as my panic attack starting coming back again) and even suggested to my Physician to maybe up my medication dosage.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I started tapering off of Lamictal in January and was fully off by the time ovulation came. My dr said if I start struggling I can start on Zoloft but I’m mostly doing okay for the time being. 
  • This pregnancy I'm on Zoloft and my last pregnancy I was on Celexa through the entire pregnancy and BF. I plan to stay at my current dose of Zoloft probably for the long-term. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for the replies. It really helps ease my worries. I am finding that google is not my friend during pregnancy! My last pregnancies all I had was What to Expect When You’re Expecting! 😂 
  • Hey ladies!! I’ve been wondering about depression and anxiety lately. Years ago, I was diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and generalized anxiety dosorder. I was on SSRIs, but haven’t really had any issues since. 

Lately, I’ve been feeling really, really off. Like there are days when my mind is empty and I simply can’t handle doing anything, working, talking to anyone. Like every day activities are simply too emotionally taxing and I just want to lay in bed feeling empty. These are similar feelings that I had years ago. 

I’m a FTM so my question is are these feelings in the realm of hormonal changes with pregnancy or might I be proactive and seek out help now before things worsen? 

I do want to say that I’m insanely thrilled about this pregnancy, I just seem to be having a really hard time emotionally with something that I can’t put my finger on. 
  • @mvc003 I would speak to your doctor. From my experience, what you’re describing is definitely something your physician needs to know about. Take care!!
  • @gapmom2019 thanks! I have an appointment in Monday so I will be sure to bring it up then. 
  • Third time mom but taking Lexapro for first time. My PCP and OB felt that the minimal risks were worth it for my health. I had undiagnosed/untreated PPD from two previous pregnancies. Whatever you decide work closely with your doctor and best of luck!
  • She called in a prescription for zoloft and I picked it up. I haven't started on it yet, but at least I have it in case I need to.  I've been feeling a little better, but did not want to go out with friends yesterday which I know for me is a sign.  Waiting to see how this week of work goes.  Good luck to you too @jnblack1020!  

• If you are having a hard time you could try the Zoloft. It took months of being off medications before my body leveled out. I wasn’t pregnant at the time so i imagine the hormones only make it worse. Do what you need to do you can be healthy!
  • I have been on cipralex for years. I took it during my first pregnancy and I am taking it for my second too. It’s so important for moms to stay healthy! The hormones that come with pregnancy and baby are no joke. If you need medication please take it. 
  • Hello mommies!
    I suffer from anxiety and depression but on a much much high scale than most as I have Bipolar 1,OCD and PTSD from significant trama in my childhood. My pregnancy is high risk and I suffered one loss at 5 months last year. I am currently on geodone and buspirone. As you can imagine after my loss I am having major anxiety now with this pregnancy. I hope our babies all come out healthy and I wish you all the best. Thank you for starting this thread. I will be sending positive thoughts your way.
  • I have anxiety and epilepsy and am in the early phases of my second pregnancy.  Epileptic meds are depressants, and my first pregnancy was considered high risk.  This time, I’m on a different meditation which is supposed to be safe while pregnant.  However, I had a miscarriage about 7 months ago while on this medication, so I’m not sure I believe them!  I would just ask as many people to closely monitor you as possible until the baby is at a healthy, stable stage of development.  That’s what I’m going to do!  Hoping I get a healthy full-term pregnancy this round ❤️  Best wishes to everybody ❤️❤️❤️
  • Hi all! I found myself here because I believe I am experiencing pregnancy depression. I have a history of depression and anxiety but never really had to be on medication. It kind of comes and goes and I'm able to get by and manage it. I haven't had any depression for a few years. I was doing great! Now 8 weeks pregnant I find myself feeling depressed. This pregnancy is a happy thing and there's nothing really "wrong" or going on in my life. I don't understand why I'm experiencing this. 
  • Our hormones and emotions are running so high while pregnant. Are there things you do to help you cope? Yoga, meditation, friends, etc? I think one reason I’m not feeling great is because I’ve been too sick and tired to do yoga. However, I have also fallen off my deep breathing and meditation because of lack of interest. It’s a real struggle for sure and I can’t wait until I start feeling better!