August 2019 Moms
Options

Marginal cord insertion

Hi guys! TTM here. Just had my anatomy scan and discovered I am having my 3rd little boy! I also found out that i have a marginal cord insertion. Any other mamas gone threw this?

Re: Marginal cord insertion

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this, but you might try posting it in the questions thread.
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    I agree with @oklahomak, in the future, questions like these are better suited to the questions thread as we generally discourage one-off individual posts that clutter up the organization of the board. But since this is already started...

I had a marginal insertion with my daughter (now age 2). Ours was not caught during our anatomy scan. She went into distress while I was in labor, so I was rushed in for an emergency c-section, which is when it was discovered. It was terrifying, and I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone. That said, they got her out before the cord tore away from the placenta so she didn’t have any blood loss and was completely healthy. 

I would much rather have been in your situation, with some advance notice. We got very lucky. From my understanding, you will probably be put on some form of pelvic rest (maybe even bed rest) by the third trimester and scheduled for a c-section between 36-38 weeks. I was told that contractions can cause the cord to tear away from the placenta, so they try to safely take the baby before you go into labor....I know my OB was shocked to realize that I had made it over 16 hours in labor before there was any indication of a problem. 

Best of luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker