May 2019 Moms

32 weeks - Gestational Diabetes Question

Hello.  My wife is 32 weeks in and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a couple weeks ago.  This is her second round, as she also had it in 2016 with our daughter.  Her blood sugar readings were always fine back then. 

This time, she's having issues with her morning test after waking up, but the other 3 tests during the day are always fine.  Her morning level should be 95.  It's been 97, 104, 101, 99.  She can't figure out what's happening to cause this. 

She's not eating bad stuff before bed.  I read somewhere that a lack of sleep could elevate levels.  She does have issues sleeping.  We have the pregnancy pillow, but she's very uncomfortable not being able to sleep on her back.  Her fitness watch usually reads that she gets maybe an hour of deep sleep.  Could that be the issue?  

She has to check back with her doctor next week.  If 1/4 of her readings are high, she may be put on insulin.  As of this point, she'll hit that 1/4 because everyday, 1 of 4 readings is slightly elevated.  Obviously, we don't want to go in that direction.  Can anyone offer any advice?  Thanks in advance!

Re: 32 weeks - Gestational Diabetes Question

• I'm 29w3d and was diagnosed with GD. This is my first pregnancy. 
    My numbers sound similar to hers in that my morning fasted numbers are unpredictable. The biggest thing I found to make a difference is having a big snack before bed. That helped to keep my fasting numbers down. 
    Is she also exercising? This could help with sleep AND regulating her sugars. 
  • Thanks for the response.  Yes, she does snack and has started using her device that allows you to walk/step in place (the name has slipped my mind).  She usually has peanut butter and crackers or something small.  I made her sugar free pudding w/ sugar free cool whip and a few blueberries a couple times (served in a tea cup).  Once the morning number was slightly elevated and the other time it was 89. 

I've offered to sleep downstairs to assure that I'M not the one causing her lack of sleep haha.  She does tend to wake up during the night to watch the monitor because our 3 year old sleeps like a tornado.  I also suggested she sleep in my place so there's no worry about what's happening in the other room.  Grasping at straws lol
  • Loading the player...
  • @frankromeo try posting your questions in the June board. It is FAR more active than this one (which has been depressingly slow for quite some time). I'm sure you will be able to get some more ideas over there. 
  • I am pregnant with type 1 diabetes and my fasting sugars were elevated to i had to increase my insulin. I think what affected mine was hormones as 32 weeks is a high hormone stage with placenta and baby or i was fighting a cold/ cough which my daughter picked up from kindy that elevates levels too. Hopefully she will be better next week with sugar levels. I feel your pain its so frustrating to have higher levels when you do everything right.