September 2019 Moms
Options

Calling all Crafters!!

Are you crafty? Do you enjoy sewing, scrapbooking, woodworking, knitting or crocheting? Any plans for projects during this pregnancy?

Share your pics and ideas here!!

Re: Calling all Crafters!!

• Options
    Former avid sewer here!! Haven’t had much “free” time for my projects, but I still love making things. 

I have a tee-shirt quilt that I want to finish before baby gets here...I haven’t gotten too far on it so hopefully I’ll be able to work on it here and there.

I would love to get into knitting/crocheting. Does anyone have any good resources that they recommend? Also, which one is easier/better for beginners? And what in the darn heck is the difference?!?
  • Options
    Yes! I am holding off on until I feel more comfortable that all is well, but I have several projects planned, mostly of the sewing variety. I want to make some baby clothes, burp clothes, etc. My mom and MIL are both quilters so that I won't make any blankets though.

I can't wait to see what you all are working on! I'm sure I'll get some inspiration! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kgg2241 Do you do pinterest? I have a bunch of stuff pinned there for projects. I have so many awesome (and simple!) little dresses pinned for baby girls. I made so many when my niece was little(er). There’s not a whole lot of things for boys though. I did manage to make a few shorts for DS. And I embellished a vest onto a onesie. And I also made car seat protectors for the seats on our cars so they don’t get too ruined by the car seat/little feet. And then I got too busy to sew anymore. 😜
  • Options
    Crochet addict over here! I haven't picked up my hook in awhile though, as I have been super busy finishing up my reflexology course. I will be finished at the end of March, so I'll be back to crafting soon! And I should also be feeling better by then.

I will be making one or two baby blankets for my LO. Possibly try a hat or little booties. I am still a beginner so I am not sure I can tackle clothes yet.

@lillywonderland I learned to knit when I was a kid with my grandma, but I don't remember how anymore. I tried to learn crochet on YouTube and I just couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking a class locally and it was AH-mazing! I have heard crochet is easier, and faster, than knitting. Crochet is done with one hook, whereas knitting is done with 2 needles. That's about all I know about the differences. :smile:
    Me: 31 │ DH: 30
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • Options
    @lillywonderland I am more of a casual pinterester. I browse but don't use it a lot. I'll check it out though! 
  • Options
    I love crafting but I'm not very artsy... does that make sense? lol. Right now I'm working on an adult paint by numbers. I love to paint but I'm not the best so I thought I would try this. I'm loving it right now. I just turn on some podcast and paint away.
    I took a few sewing classes in high school and loved it. I even bought a sewing machine. It's currently in my closed collecting dust. I would love to break it out and start some sewing projects. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas on baby stuff to make. I might have to start looking on Pinterest for ideas.
    @lillywonderland My aunt taught me how to crochet when I was young. It's pretty easy to follow a pattern. The hardest part for me was learning how to hold the yarn and hook. Youtube videos is all you probably need. This last summer I tried to teach myself how to knit. It was pretty easy following some youtube videos. I ended up knitting for too long one day and gave myself carplel tunnel syndrome. My fingers were numb and tingly for weeks. I even wore a brake on my wrist for some time. MH made fun of me for having a kitting injury lol. I haven't really knitted much since.
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    My dad taught me how to crochet when I was pretty young so I do (and sell) quit a bit of that. I enjoy knitting wash clothes, and have a couple hates on my wishlist. I also sew and plan on making a quiet book for DS at daycare and more burp rags for 2.0. DS was a very happy spitter and I waiting too long to start making some for him.
  • Options
    I'm a crocheter! I'm currently trying to work through finishing some WIPs before I start any new projects, but I have a few baby blankets and washcloths that I definitely want to make. Probably hats and booties too!
  • Options
    I am so excited for all the fellow crocheters! I'm not alone for once!
  • Options
    septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited February 2019
    I love to craft! I’m a big silhouette person. Anyone else have a silhouette/ cricut? I plan to make my son and baby on the way big brother & little brother/ little sister shirts of some kind. I love personalizing everything! Haha
  • Options
    I used to knit but never got good enough to make things other than hats and scarves. Now I’m really into needlepointubg and I love it!
  • Options
    I know how to make hats and scarves on a loom-and that’s about it! So I’ll make a newborn hat after I find out the sex of this baby. Oh, and I painted wood block letters to spell my son’s name in his room. Yeeeeeah that’s about all I’ve got! At least I can read what you all are doing and maybe get inspired! 
  • Options
    LJMoon6LJMoon6 member
    edited March 2019
    Just working on my paint-by-numbers this weekend. This thing is going to take me forever! 
    Also I made this world map out of free wood palettes. I bought a poster of a world map and cut out the continents to use as a stencil.

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @LJMoon6 love it! The colors are so beautiful! The world map is so cool. I love that idea.
  • Options
    LilyASF42LilyASF42 member
    edited March 2019
    I am generally pretty crafty but specifically I’m an avid cross-stitcher. As in I stitch 1-2 hours every day and even started a monthly stitch group at my local library. Imma stitchy nerd 🤓😂
  • Options
    I am getting so anxious to start crocheting baby blankets! For some reason I crochet so much more in the summer. And I plan to make soo many cute baby things!

I am currently wanting to finish up a toque I started in the fall. Which I have no use for anymore. Haha Then I need to make a baby blanket for my sister who is due in June. Then it's onto projects for my LO!  <3
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • Options
    I got out my sewing machine to hem baseball pants for my 12 yr old today. Then I made an “adventure apron” for each of my nanny kids, and a gender neutral baby blanket!
    then my son brought me his baby blanket to patch up because it’s really *really* well-loved. 

Cant believe how much I sewed today after not sewing for years! What fun! This may be my “nesting” thing for the next 6 months!
  • Options
    @septoctkids I am!
    I got into paper crafting when I was pregnant with my daughter 6 years ago! I made all of her decor by hand and then I received a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas in 2014. I’ll post pics later of the few things I’ve made that I still have. I haven’t dabbled much with vinyl or clothing yet.
    My favorite creations are my kid’s 3D mobiles. :)
    I wish I worked with yarn, but paper & paint seem to be my niche.
  • Options
    (I'm just over here dropping my pants off at the alterations place because the hem came loose....)  I'd like 1% of the creative ability you guys have!  Or maybe just a sewing lesson would be helpful.
  • Options
    @sahm89 maybe i could send you some pics and you could create the items?? Haha jk
    @mamaber2204 I feel you. I'm going to end up paying more to get 2 maternity dresses hemmed than I actually paid for the dresses....
  • Options
    I suck at crafts, but love the sentiment of doing something for babies. I ordered a quilt making kit off amazon... you just knot all of the ends together to make a quilt in the pattern you want. And it’s a great sensory thing for little ones as they get older because they can mess with the little ties with their fingers when trying to fall asleep. I made one for my son when he was a baby, and added to it so he can use it through toddler/preschool years. Cute and no skills needed 😁
  • Options
    @lillywonderland Thank you! *googles duck fabric* I love the forward facing seat protector too! It would probably be easy to sew in a pocket on that thing too so you have easy access to an emergency supply of wipes, paper towels, or an area to store trash 
  • Options
    Love those Seat protectors! Fantastic idea!

I finished up this baby blanket for my nephew who was born last night! Can't wait to go meet him and snuggle him!!

Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022
  • Options
    @lillywonderland I never even considered making all of these things myself! I have no idea why it didn't occur to me. Thanks for opening up an entire realm of crafting possibilities! 
    Third kid: Due 11/6
    Second kid: Dec 2021
    First kid: Sept 2019
  • Options
    I'm working my way through crocheting up some coordinating baby blankets. And having to talk myself *out* of starting any new projects or crafts. But then I see some epicly cute cross stitch patterns that would look adorable in the nursery, and I'm all 😳😍