November 2019 Moms

Pregnancy Announcements

When do you plan to announce to family/friends?

When do you plan to announce at work? 

Any clever announcement ideas?

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? 

Re: Pregnancy Announcements

• I’m 7 weeks today and DH and I have debated on when to announce to our kids (5&4). I wanted to wait till Mother’s Day (15wks) however I’m thinking Easter (12wks). 
  • I’m also 7 weeks today. We will probably start reading big brother books to our son after our ultrasound in week 8, assuming all goes well. He is 2 so he doesn’t really get it. My mom and my in laws know already. We will probably tell other family members right before Easter at 12 weeks. I am assuming we will have had NIPT and our NT scan done by then.  I am not into big announcements and will just tell people face to face or over email. 

For work, I’m hoping to hide it as long as possible. I’ll tell once things start getting more obvious. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Like @creamcheeseplease, I'm not really into big announcements either. With our first, we told people face to face, and we'll probably do that again, although some of the cute social media ideas I've seen are tempting! I'll probably spend a lot of time thinking about the perfect Facebook post, and then just tell people in person.

I'm not sure when we'll start announcing (I'm 4+6 today). With our first, we told our families almost immediately. I think I'll probably tell them after my first appointment on 3/27 this time (a little after 6 weeks). As for everyone else, I'm not sure yet. On one hand, I am horrible at keeping things secret! On the other, TW... I really, really hated talking about my previous loss with the few people who knew about the pregnancy, and would like to avoid those conversations. They didn't know what to say, and I didn't know what to say, and it just made the situation worse (although I'm sure a lot of people feel differently)... end TW.

Luckily, I don't have to tell work this time, since I am a SAHM! We've already "told" our toddler, but he's too young to understand, so he doesn't really count.
  • Many people in our immediate family and friends circle know already. We struggled with infertility so many people knew we were going through IVF/FET. We told our 3 year old a couple days ago (I'm 5+2 today) and hes is so excited. But I'm not really concerned about him telling anyone. And if he does, it's ok. 

I don't plan to make a social media announcement until after 12 weeks, like last time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have already told my best friend and my inlaws. I'm not telling anyone else until I reach second trimester. I also don't plan to announce on social media. I usually just do a post announcing my newborn. 

My mom has been telling me to stop having kids after my second one but she doesn't get a vote on my uterus and what I decide to incubate in there. 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? 🙈 my family knows and my husbands family knows and few very close friends. I’ve been trying really hard not to tell people but MH is beside himself with excitement. He tells random people we’ll never see again. It’s starting to make me anxious because I’m only 6 weeks along today. 

😫 I don’t even want to think about it. I’m going to wait until I really have to / start obviously showing

definitely Harry Potter themed hehe

Honestly I was very anxious about my MIL, but she’s surprised me in that she’s bursting at the seams with excitement 

I was worried my youngest niece would feel a certain because she’s been the only kid around...she’s 11 now. Apparently she is worried that my parents won’t love her as much. Breaks my heart ❤️ But she’ll be ok 
  • I won’t announce to most people until second trimester, immediate family probably at Easter.  I think im
    going to have to tell my mom or sister soon so she can keep my son for my first appointment so my DH can go with me. My 2yo is very well behaved but TERRIFIED of doctors offices so I don’t want to bring him with us. 

I don’t have any worries about bad reactions. Work is tough but I have really supportive coworkers. I work as a manager/HR at an independent hotel so while everyone’s happy for me, covering my maternity leave is a big pain with such a small staff. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kimmer1412kimmer1412 member
    edited March 2019
    We announced to parents this weekend.  

I will probably announce to work around 12 weeks. 

We ordered st. Patty's scratch off tickets and the prize box says "we're having a baby" everyone loved them and were totally surprised. It worked out great. Not sure how we'll announce to everyone yet, may do cute announcement pictures or might just post U/S pics on FB LOL. 

We knew everyone would be excited but even if they aren't I really dont care because its not their life. 
  • DH told his dad immediately after finding out, and we told our moms and sisters at about 5 weeks. We're 7w 4d today. 

I have 2 jobs. My main job i work for my dad's business and a few of my close coworkers know we were TTC. I'll probably tell them after our 1st appointment at 10 weeks.  I don't plan to tell my second job till I start showing lol. 

I don't plan to announce on social media. Everyone who I want to know we'll have told in person. 

Everyone was happy for us but my MIL  had the, erm, strongest reaction lol. She started hysterically crying! She's wanted a grandchild for a long time and I think we're her only hope as I don't think my SILs plan on children. 

I do worry about my dad's reaction. He's not a good person and is very difficult to get along with. I feel he will go anywhere from indifference to judgement, but I don't expect any support from him. I plan to wait to tell him until I have to. Either because I'm showing or because I've told too many coworkers.  My sister's said to just not say anything and wait for him to start commenting on my weight lol, which he would totally do. 
  • MH and I are planning to tell our immediate family after our first prenatal visit, 3/28.  I'm 7 weeks today - very excited for my little growing blueberry!  

For my in-laws, we plan on giving them a bottle of wine with a fake label on it that announces the pregnancy - it's very cute.  They're really into wine, so we thought it was appropriate.  I can't wait to see their reactions, as this will be their first grandchild!  My MIL has three sons, so the two of us have become very close - she has always wanted a daughter, and she treats me as such!  She's going to literally jump with joy - I cannot wait!!

For my side of the family - we are planning to have our furbaby, Charlie, wear a "big brother" bandanna to announce the pregnancy.  I'm hoping that MH and I can still have our moment of surprise to announce, but my family has been suspicious lately.  I'm a little frustrated because I want to announce it and not have them guess it ahead of time - I'm afraid they'll all say "we knew it!".  I guess it doesn't matter, but I have built it up in my mind since I've been dreaming about this day for so long!  Either way, MH and I couldn't be happier and can't wait to tell all of our loved ones.

As far as telling work goes, I'm really unsure.  I'm getting a new boss in July - so I feel like I should hold off until then, but I know I'll already be showing, so I may have to end up announcing to both bosses.  

I am a little worried about telling a friend of mine.  She is getting married in May, and I don't want to steal any of her thunder.  I'm wondering what to do about that one, especially since I am in the wedding, and I don't want to showcase any sort of bump.  But I may not have a choice!  Time will tell...
  • I think I’m going to get personalized m&ms in pastel blue and pink that have a our due date on them and put them out with the rest of the deserts at Easter with our families and wait for someone to be like what is this? Debating just putting the date on all so it’s more cryptic or putting pacifier image on some as well.
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? We’ve started telling a few people this week (6w)

When do you plan to announce at work? I will probably announce around 10-12 weeks (when it gets obvious)

Any clever announcement ideas? For work, I’m going to buy a box of donuts and write something like “Eat up! My mommy can’t be the only one with a belly around here.” And for our Facebook announcement, I bought shirts for DD (“oldest”) and DS (“middle”) and they’ll hold up “youngest”. 

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? My mom and I are currently in a weird place so I know she’s going to be way extra about it so I’m waiting until 10 weeks or so to tell her. 
  • I am bursting to tell our family, but we are going to wait. With it being our first pregnancy I do want it to be special want to make sure it is the one before we announce prematurely. 
    It was my dad's birthday a few weeks ago so I'm covering it as a birthday gift for him. I got a little onesie with a Detroit Red Wings logo on it and will give it to him and my mom when they come back from Florida in the beginning of April.
    We'll tell my husbands family at Easter, and then we have my husbands birthday when we hit 12 weeks so we'll tell the rest of our friends and family then.
    I'm planning on announcing on social media on Mother's Day... Hopefully we make it through the first trimester but you honestly never know.. It's so hard!

I have a very sexist boss who I do not trust at all, so I've been letting him know when I go to doctors appointments but not what for. He'd probably try to find a way to get rid of me if he knew I was pregnant/TTC. I'm most excited to tell him I'm going on mat leave so I can get TF outta dodge 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends?
    Already told both sets of parents. Most siblings on both sides know except a few. Haven’t really seen them to tell them yet. We’ve told a few random people as well but don’t plan on telling the Facebook world until Easter. 

Any clever announcement ideas? I plan to do an Easter themed reveal with colored eggs in a basket. I will be around 11 weeks. 

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news?  Nope. 
                                                                         Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• When do you plan to announce to family/friends? I'll probably wait to announce until 12 weeks. 

When do you plan to announce at work? Seriously need advice on this! I wasn't working my last pregnancy and I feel like everyone at work will be super awkward about it. Idk just my work environment/vibe gives me that feeling...

Any clever announcement ideas? No, I'm the worst at creative things like that!

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? My in-laws will definitely be over joyed, they have been sending not so subtle hints about more grandchildren for over a year!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • fmar8fmar8 member
    When do you plan to announce to family/friends? I’m almost 8 weeks along and we told our immediate families right away. We are about 3 months out from our wedding so I had to tell a couple of my bridesmaids to stop planning a bachelorette party. We are telling our extended families on east when I’ll be 11.5 weeks. And friends and everyone else will be a week after. 

When do you plan to announce at work? I’ll probably tell my work I’m pregnant around 13 weeks. 

Any clever announcement ideas? for our extended family I’m just going to wear a shirt to Easter that says mama bunny and has baby bunny on my stomach. And then I plan on posting an Easter basket with a fake bunny and Easter eggs. 

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? I think our families will be mostly excited. I am however worried my soon to be mother in law can’t keep a secret because she has already told my fiancé’s brother and I’m pretty sure she told another relative that we are close with that I’m pregnant too. 🤬
  • @fmar8 I learned with my first LO to not tell the in laws til I was ready or the world to know 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? most of the immediate family knows and a few close friends

When do you plan to announce at work? The end of April (14ish weeks)

Any clever announcement ideas? A few ideas we have been mulling over

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news?  Nope
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? I'll probably wait to announce until 12 weeks. 

When do you plan to announce at work? Seriously need advice on this! I wasn't working my last pregnancy and I feel like everyone at work will be super awkward about it. Idk just my work environment/vibe gives me that feeling...

Any clever announcement ideas? No, I'm the worst at creative things like that!

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? My in-laws will definitely be over joyed, they have been sending not so subtle hints about more grandchildren for over a year!
    Is your work a big place or a small place? You think they'll be awkward how?

My last job when I was pregnant with my son was small and we'd (mostly) all been there for a long time, so I told most everyone individually. This time around I am a contract employee in a big company. I plan on waiting until my contract renewal is complete at the end of April and then sometime in May I will notify my official employer via official HR channels, and then notify my on-site supervisor. I plan to just let everyone else figure it out.
  • fmar8fmar8 member
    edited March 2019
    @bmmims Yes. Next pregnancy she will not know until I’m ready to tell everyone else. I don’t really mind the people that she has told knowing, but I wanted me and my fiancé to be the ones to tell people. It’s just very frustrating, especially with it being our first. I know she’s just excited since it’s her first grandchild but very frustrating. 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? We will probably wait until people start to notice and then will tell people as we go. We probably won't announce on social media or anything until baby arrives.

I will probably tell work as soon as we see a heartbeat. I work with preschoolers on the Autism spectrum and sometimes our little friends can be aggressive or they require physical help and accommodations will need to be made. 

Any clever announcement ideas? Last time we just put my son in a "big brother" shirt. We're on the fence about any type of announcement this time.

I know my family won't be happy. When I had a loss this past summer, my mom watched my 2 kids so I could go to the OB while DH was at work. After my appointment,  she had the audacity to tell me that I "had no business having a third child anyway". My grandmother told me to get my husband "fixed". So, I'm preparing to tell them both to kick rocks this time.. :( 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? We told our immediate family right away. Mainly because my family and I are very open and close and with them being far, I rely heavily in their support. Of course, we couldnt tell my parents and sisters without telling my inlaws so they know. Some family that is geographically closer know too - figured I could use all the support possible with my own mother being 450+ miles away. Ended up being a good thing since we had an ER scare at week 5 and one of my aunts was able to come with me and has been very supportive.

When do you plan to announce at work? My boss knows simply because of the ER visit and precautions I took the days following. A few closer work BFFs know too. As far as the entire office, I'll likely wait until its obvious and they ask. LOL

Any clever announcement ideas? We are telling my grandparents this weekend because I will actually see them. I am getting a little onsie and we are putting a baby bassinet from a friend in the guestroom at my moms with our ultrasound picture, if all goes well tomorrow. I want to  tell them in person and even though its premature as its not close to 12 weeks, I want to tell them in person. My grandma already suspects something is up but has not zoned in. lol 
    We are not really on much social media but I am thinking my parents will likely post something around Mothers Day (yes - my parents have social media and i basically only use snap chat here and there. LOL)

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? There is one estranged cousin who seems to believe my parents will love our children more than her child (my parents basically raised her child for a few years and play a slight parent/grandparent role). There have been clear indicators of the slight fear/jealousy. Im more concerned for her reaction towards my parents (like not letting my parents see her child as often). Other than that though, my thoughts are very straight forward - i dont have time to worry about YOUR feelings to events/milestones in MY life. LOL 
  • @lea-v3 my mom has told me repeatedly I need to stop having babies. 🙄 I keep telling her she doesn't get to decide because she isn't the one raising them or paying for them. 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends?  Some of my friends already know.  We won't announce to family until probably toward the end of the first trimester.  We may be visiting my parents right around then, so I thought it may be nice to do tell them in person then anyway.

When do you plan to announce at work?  I travel quite a bit for work, so I told one of my colleagues that I travel with the most, but asked her not to share. I won't formally tell work until much later.  Last time I waited until 16 weeks and was very happy with that decision.

Any clever announcement ideas?  I've been pondering. It will definitely incorporate our son; I'm sure he'll be the center of it :)

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news?  Nah, I think they'll all be very happy.
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends? We told our folks & my sister who lived with my parents on Monday via FaceTime after our viability scan. My parents live in England & in laws in Florida so we put a “big brother” bandana on our pup & made them read it & figure it out! Both sets thrilled

I’m a family practice physician (or GP in the U.K.) & I found out I’m not immune to slapped cheek so I’m going to have to tell them Monday at 8+5 weeks because I can’t see febrile or rashy children anymore. Ideally I’d wait til 12 weeks but they are super supportive so I’m sure it will be fine.

my brother & his girlfriend are visiting tomorrow, they are both radiologists, im going to tell them im having trouble interpreting a scan & show them mine, see how long it takes to click!
    we’ll announce on Facebook when I get back to the US at 15 weeks. My hubby is military & I work abroad so we spend a lot of time apart. When we were first dating we bought each other rubber ducks - a doctor & a fighter pilot. We take the others duck with us when we’re apart. They were our wedding cake toppers & in our invites. So We’re getting a baby duck in a diaper & a dog duck & writing “better get our ducks in a row! Baby arriving Nov 19”

I was terrified about telling my parents. I moved to the US 2 years ago because my husband is US military. I’m a physician in England & it’s going to take me years to get myself through residency in the US, so I go back & forth to work. I thought they’d be mad because this will delay me going to residency but it turns out my mama has been complaining she’s desperate for a grandbaby! I’m now staying with them for 7 weeks so I’ll have to have some antenatal appointments in England & I’m so pleased my mama will be with me for them!
  • @lea-v3 my mom has told me repeatedly I need to stop having babies. 🙄 I keep telling her she doesn't get to decide because she isn't the one raising them or paying for them. 
    That's basically what I'm going to have to tell them too.. My oldest was just diagnosed with ADHD too, so I know that she's going to make this about that. Like I'm failing him by having another baby.
  • @lea-v3 you may need to take a step back from her and tell her unless she can be supportive and keep her negative opinions to herself, she can't come around. Setting boundaries is very important for an adult child who has an overbearing parent in their lives. 
  • When do you plan to announce to family/friends?  Unfortunately, my sister announced at her baby shower (a couple of weeks ago) that I was pregnant.  I think I was 6 week?  I do plan on making a cute little facebook announcement for my SO relatives in Hong Kong.

When do you plan to announce at work?  When I got my BFP I let my manager know, as I'm the Clinic Administrator and my other close coworkers.  I didn't want them to get to worried when I was having an off day due to the pregnancy.

Any clever announcement ideas?  Not sure...  Maybe a picture of my two oldest holding the ultrasound picture and looking surprise?  I'm still not sure.

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news?  I WAS worried about my mother's reaction.  Her friends, including herself, had bad experiences when it came to having their 3rd child and she was just worried it would happen to me.  After the initial shook of the announcement, she's happy and excited.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • ladyKC2ladyKC2 member
    edited March 2019
    @kopp5988 Such a great, subtle idea!
    We told a couple of very close family members right away and then a select few friends. We've kept our IVF journey very hush hush and private. We didn't want yo be judged for it, nor did we want people constantly asking whether or not the treatments worked. The only friends who know so far are the ones we had to tell because we are with them all the time and it was getting impossible to hide my timed injections. We plan on making an announcement at 12 weeks to everyone else.

I want to wait as long as possible. I know I'm the biggest asset in my firm and, though the head of my firm has been very accommodating, I want to make sure I am in a place to negotiate exactly what I need for a risky pregnancy and maternity leave (i.e. I have to nurture the seed I planted where I get to work from home, especially if i have complications and I would rather work from home instead of go on disability for months on end).

We have saved every single vial and syringe from my treatments. I plan on laying them all out (and there's an impressive number because we've been doing this for almost 3 years) in the shape of a heart surrounding a onesie I had made that says "made with love and a little bit of science." My journey was a terrible one and a long one and I am incredibly proud of the strength I didn't even know I had.

I was a bit worried about my family. They're pragmatic and pessimistic. I know they're thrilled, but they almost immediately said, "You know, it's still very early. A lot can still go wrong." I get it and they're right, but can't we just enjoy ourselves with the announcement for a few minutes?
    *we told my grandparents at about 6 weeks, and my bfs family a couple days later. I texted my bff a picture of the pregnancy test when I took it. Everyone else will find out in time, we just havent decided when that time will be yet.

*I kind of want to as soon as I can just do my coworkers realize the new attitude is not entirely my fault 😂 I already told one of my supervisors, just because she used to do my job (through 4 pregnancys!) and I wanted her advice- I'm a laborer and theres a lot of heavy lifting involved in my day to day work.

*I ordered a shirt that said "you can stop asking when we're having a baby now" and wore it to my bfs moms house for dinner with the family. Casually took my sweatshirt off and waited til someone noticed. It took his mom about 2.5 seconds. For my grandparents we made a card that said "you're going to be great grandparents.... and this one only has 2 legs" (we JUST brought home another animal like a week prior to announcing), and a sign that says "the best grandparents get promoted to great grandparents". They loved it. 

*nope. 
    not sure yet. It’s a little complex because we need to tell our big kids first (step-daughters are 19 & 23), then we’ll tell both sets of grandparents and our siblings. I’m only 5 ½ weeks right now, so by Easter for family would be nice, just so I don’t have to focus on hiding my symptoms and bloat. 

My last pregnancy I waited until I was 12ish weeks, but I will likely tell my two girlfriends before that because my lunch habits will change pretty quickly. I’ll likely tell my boss when I don’t think I can hide it any longer. 

Not really, for our daughter we surprised everyone on mother’s day. We won’t do anything major, I’m a pretty low-key and private person, so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yep. My step-daughters. My now 19 year old stepdaughter made my last pregnancy pretty uncomfortable (she didn’t agree with us having a baby, but also didn’t seem to understand that she didn’t get a vote in the matter). I’m sure she’s going to be thrilled this time around as well 🙄 she gets along great with our toddler and stops by several times a week to see her, but oy. I’m sure things will turn out fine, with time, but it’s complicated. 
  • @angieeeeee I saw shirts like that online and thought they were so cute!
  • mamaee said:
    We announced to my side of the family last night because my brother was in town and he's basically never in town due to work. Earlier than we would've liked since I'm only 6.5 weeks, but it worked out okay!

I'm going to wait till end of first tri for sure.

Nope, not yet. My husband is way better at the creativity than me. I'm sure he'll design something fun for us to post on social media. :)

Nope!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lw11lw11 member
    Hubby and I are visiting my sister & BIL this weekend. It’s a little early to me to tell and I would have liked to wait until after my first appointment but I want to tell her in person. So I will be just shy of 8 weeks. This is my first time being pregnant so that’s why I would have like to wait a little longer. 
    I will tell my parents following weekend and then my husbands side at Easter. 
    Close Friends will be after 12 weeks and other friends will be 13/14 weeks. 

When do you plan to announce at work? Not sure. I am thinking after 12 when risks decrease significantly. 

Any clever announcement ideas? I am my sister and my parents a card. 
    Front says: the only thing better than having you as my sister/ parents. 
    Inside says: is our baby having you as their auntie/ grandparents. We’Re pregnant! Baby coming November 2019. 
    For my friends I am going to host a girls night with appys and cocktails and tell them there since I obvi won’t be drinking. 

Any worries about how certain family members may react to the news? My sister. She has had multiple loses. Miscarriage and still birth. She is also currently pregnant. (In 3rd trimester finally 🤞🏼)
    🌈☀️🦄💃🏻💕
  • lw11lw11 member
    @alwayseloquent love your announcement idea!! 💕
    🌈☀️🦄💃🏻💕
  • lw11lw11 member
    @laurenrg1988 haha love the reveal idea!!
    🌈☀️🦄💃🏻💕
  • @lw11 Thanks!!! Pinterest and Etsy FTW! 
  • We just told my husband's parents. They randomly came into town for a doctor's appointment and so we jumped on the opportunity to get lunch with them. So now that all close family has been told, we can sit tight, wait for that 1st appt, and then plan something fun for social media reveal!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kopp5988 said:
    @angieeeeee I saw shirts like that online and thought they were so cute!
    We thought it was perfect because the bfs family has been bugging us about kids since his sister started having kids- her oldest is almost 6 now.