August 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Toys

Hello! Today's discussion is a pretty big one: TOYS! We're unlikely to come up with a complete overview of every toy our kids wind up with, and certainly we can't always control the tornado of toys we all somehow accumulate, but it would be great to share some favorites, maybe aiming for the first 6-12 months or so to give FTMs some guidance on a few items to have on hand as our babies start to interact with the world.

When did your babies start to notice little baby toys? Which were the first favorites? Which toys did you have scattered on the floor, which did you have stashed in your diaper bag for emergency distraction, which did you have in the car? Any brands you love? Or particular style of toy? Is there something super special worth splurging on? Do you begrudgingly deal with a thousand blinking lights and loud plastic noises, or are you strict about only accepting organic wood blocks carved from virgin Nordic forests? Did you use a Baby Einstein? Did you babies have a lovey or comfort item to adore and drool on? On the flip side, is there anything you absolutely HATE and want to warn other moms about (or just vent)? And how do you store your toys? Any cute storage products to help with organization? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Toys

• Options
    I'll have to revisit this about a million times I'm sure (as I unpack all my baby toys), but a few things off the bat:

Piano kick and play mat -- this amazing little thing is...amazing (sorry, monday morning lack of brain cells). Both my girls played with it for over a year! First as little babies they can kick the keys and look at the toys overhead. Then once they sit, the keys rotate so it can be played while the baby sits. We liked it so much we bought a second one to keep at grandmas house when my first was little. We have 2 of the old ones, like 5-6 years old since we bought both used, and they have been upgraded some. I'd totally recommend it.

Sit me up seat -- we have the one that looks like a froggy. We didnt have this with the first kid (not sure they existed yet) but loved it for kid 2. We started putting her in it when she was about 3 months old and it was used daily for 4-5 months (until baby wants to just crawl, cruise, or stand all the time). Its a sling type of seat so I felt better about using that over the bumbo (which we have as well). Toys can hook up to the seat but the real appeal is that the baby can be more upright and can look around and see all the cool things (and TV for when you really just need a minute!)

Munch mitt -- now there are offbrands of it that are cheaper, but this little thing is awesome. DD2 would chew her hands RAW and the munch mitt gave her something safe to chew on while still using her hands.

Things that light up and make noise -- beware of your sanity here -- sometimes it can be hard to get the baby to engage with tummy time. cue light up and noise making toys. the trick worked well with both of my kids. Then, once they are starting to scoot and crawl, the toys can be used to entice them as well. Then they get used as intended and the songs will embed themselves in your brain for the rest of your life. 

Measuring cups (after about 6 months) -- the best bath toy for littles once they can sit up in the tub. cheap, can be thrown in the dishwasher if they get nasty, and have kept both of my kids attention in the bath for a long time.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    And a word of caution: toys with many pieces are a PITA. No need to have a doctor bag with 5 pieces in it at least until they are toddlers -- though they are sold in the baby toy section. Also, things that bounce or shoot balls are annoying AF. The motors/motion is LOUD which scares a lot of the kids and the balls go EVERYWHERE, especially if you have tile floors.

Also, jumper things -- the bouncer things with toys all around -- can be great, but no guarantee. DD1 loved being in there for a long time. DD2 would allow about 5 minutes before being done. Also, beware of the blowouts. If a baby poops in one of those things, its almost a sure thing for it to explode!
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the kick and play piano mat. Both of my little ones loved it and it was popular for about a year. 

The baby einstein jumparoo was also a lifesaver in our house once they each reached about 5 months. They would entertain themselves in it with all of the attachments while we ate, I got dressed or showered, etc. plus the exercise wears them out!

Baby Einstein take along tunes which plays music and light up. I agree with the above to beware of too much noise but this one isn’t overly noisy and is a great on the go diaper bag toy. My almost 3 year old still plays with it occasionally and busts out his dance moves!

1-2 good rattles or other easy to grab toys and a good couple teething toys. Beware any teethers with holes or that aren’t solid. I know Sophie the giraffe is beyond popular but I’ve heard horror stories of that thing molding like crazy on the inside and the parents don’t know!

other than that I would keep toys on the downlow. You accumulate them faster than you think and honestly babies don’t need much at all the first 2 months or so and you will get bombarded at Christmas time from family
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Those "o balls" were great for early toys.  Easy to clip places with paci clips or the plastic rings. 

Board books and wooden toys have always been a hit here. He's had like,  2-3 toys total in his 18 months that are electronic and make sounds. All the rest ate just normal exploratory build and take apart,  etc.

We liked the sit me up too.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    We did not buy any toys the first year, we got so many as gifts. Also, a lot of the time the boys ended up liking the box more than the toy.

One thing I recommend is the rattles from the Manhattan toy company. We got both the Winkel, and the Skwish as gifts for DS#2, and he loved them both. They were great for him to first learn grasping, and then when he started teething he loved chewing on them.
  • Options
    DS2’s absolute favorite thing was the doorway bouncy seat. We would feed him first and he would bounce the whole time we ate, and usually fall asleep in the thing. I will definitely do this over an exersaucer (they are just too bulky). The arch mat with hanging toys was also a big hit and folds up small when not being used. Once he could sit up the large size LEGOs were a classic favorite we all played with for years. Luckily I’ve held onto more toys than clothes, so we are set in tonka truck, matchbox car, small size LEGOs, nerf gun area when this dude gets a little older. 
  • Options
    The earliest favorites were definitely the colorful crinkly line of toys that includes Freddie the Firefly. I had seen them all over the place and assumed they were overrated but no: Freddie the Firefly in particular held her attention at many different phases of development. We got several in the “family” as gifts: a mini-ladybug rattle of that line was really helpful to keep in my diaper bag, and I had a flappy dragon hanging from her car seat. 

Seconding the kick and play piano, and a “jungle” type playmat with colorful hanging toys. Later on we got a huge plastic bouncy exercise saucer thing and I can still hear the music in my dreams  
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    edited March 2019
    Lol - I came into the thread to recommend the kick & play piano and now I see 3 or 4 of you have already recommended it! My kid enjoyed it sooo much starting around 4 or 5 months old.

Other favorites:
    -VTech toy cell phone
    -VTech activity cube
    -Fisher Price jumperoo

Also, we ended up getting a foam mat with pop-out letters and numbers. It’s really nice for them to roll / crawl around on if your main play area isn’t carpeted, and we put a gate around it for a while so I could safely work in the kitchen without worrying about what she was getting into.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    +1 for Freddie the Firefly.  DD loved that thing so much, we had three just in case. 
  • Options
    Another vote for kick and play piano. This time I am thinking about getting another playmat that allows LO to move a little more. 

My kiddos both loved the jumperoo, pretty sure we have a fisher price one. They started around maybe 4 months...DD loved it until she was mobile at 6 months and then shs never stopped moving, DS loved it until he was closer to 1. 

For diaper bag type toys 1-2 rattles, baby paper, the Lamaze clip on toys, Sophie the Giraffe, cloth boks, baby ring links, O Balls, and Baby Einstien  take along tunes all have been hits with my kids. 

As for brands, I love B., Melissa and Doug, Green Toys, Baby Einstein and Fisher Price. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19