1st Trimester

SO confused! High hcg and u/s not matching levels - have you had this?

I had a BFP on March 9th. My LMP was Feb 1, but I have irregular cycles so that doesn't mean much as far as dates go, but everyone uses that date regardless of me telling them it will be wrong.

March 12th Blood drawn - hcg at 1,083. 
March 13th blood draw - hcg at 1,679 and u/s to date pregnancy - very small gest. sac, but too small to be confirmed.
March 14th -18th Went on honeymoon and tried not to freak out.
March 18th blood draw - hcg at 17,085
March 20th blood draw - hcg at 27,859 and u/s to date pregnancy - this time there was a much larger area to look at, and we could see a yolk sac, but no baby. 

My confusion comes is because my hcg levels are not matching what they are expecting to see on the u/s, and it has obviously started to become worrisome. The u/s on the 20th looks closer to 5 weeks along (give or take a day) but they are saying that isn't matching my hcg levels. Is this *bad*? Are there twins in there? Who has had something similar and can give me some hope. I am stressing out hard, any possible reassurance would be welcomed.

Re: SO confused! High hcg and u/s not matching levels - have you had this?

• Certain HCG levels often correspond to certain gestational ages but not always. I have a friend who had a very high HCG level for gestational age who went on to have a healthy pregnancy with a singleton. All you can do it to try to keep busy & get your mind off of it until your next ultrasound when you can get more definitive answers based on growth. When is your next appointment?

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • @kiki75 - that is definitely a relief to hear! I've searched other board posts for something similar, but wasn't able to find anything definitive. Most are started then trail off without concrete resolution. Next u/s is for Monday afternoon. I'll update. 

As for keeping my mind off it, I have some pretty high anxiety, so I fixate compulsively on things, especially negative things. Great, right? I do my best to relax and stay as calm as possible, but everything is pretty chaotic internally. Anyways - thanks again for chiming in!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not great at math but March 20th would've been right around the 5 week mark for you, right? Even at 6 or 7 weeks sometimes you won't get a really clear picture of the baby and you'll just see the yolk sac. Most women don't see an OB and have a dating ultrasound until they're about 10 weeks along. Did you do fertility treatments? I ask because they'll bring you in earlier for that. I had my dating ultrasound at 7.5 weeks. That's when I found out I was having twins. If you were having twins, you'd see two sacs by now I'd think so you're probably just growing one. In any case, hope your next scan goes well!
  • @wishiwaspreggo -  I'm terrible at math, especially pregnancy math! Congrats on your twins! How terrifying and exciting! (as well as many other emotions, I'm sure) Was it a surprise, or did you feel like it was coming?

No fertility needed this time (though I was beginning to wonder) I have had 2 mcs, so this time they were doing regular blood draws and weekly u/s to monitor and make sure things are progressing. My LMP is what they were going off of for dating until they know differently, and that would put me currently at 7 weeks on the 20th. Even with irregular cycles, it looks like my hcg levels just allowed me to find out I was pregnant around the 3 week mark instead? There are so many unknowns, the ultrasound looked about 5 weeks. So that was a concern initially. 

I only have to wait out the weekend and I'll get to have another peek on Monday. I think if there is anything measurable on that ultrasound we'll finally get a solid due date as well as some reassurance things are okay. 
  • Hope your scan went well today, @wildeflower!