Infertility

Opinions- bank more or frozen transfer?

hi all, so I’m 33 almost 34 with no kids and just did a fresh ivf cycle that resulted in a miscarriage (pending chromosomal testing on the d&c material). During the miscarriage, it was also discovered that I have stage 2/ mild endometriosis. We have 5 frozen blastocysts with no PGS testing from this cycle. I’m debating between doing an embryo banking round with PGS or just transferring an untested blastocyst. My doc will not transfer more than 1 bc I’m under 35. We ideally probably want 2 kids but my husband would be open to 3 and I haven’t totally ruled that out. What would you ladies do next btwn frozen transfer or a banking cycle? Thanks for your input.

Re: Opinions- bank more or frozen transfer?

• That’s a tough one. If I were you, I think I would bank more embryo. My RE recommended banking 2 PGS normal embryos per baby that you want. So if you want 2 kids, it’s recommended that you bank 4 PGS normals. Since you are young, the chances of your untested blasts to be normal are high, but how many are normal is difficult to predict without testing. Since your egg quality declines with age, I think the younger you are at the time of retrieval, the better. And I’d think going through an ER while caring for a baby might be tough too. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • I agree. At 45, I wish I had already frozen my eggs. Bank them while you can. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @cashewchicken and @makana11 . My husband and doc are both pushing hard for an FET rather than bank. So, I guess right now it looks like I’ll be trying another transfer (ideally double embryo transfer) and then another retrieval w PGS if that doesn’t work out.  
  • It takes a team for success and maybe they are both right that this timing is going to be perfect. Good luck to you!
  • @makana11 thanks! The whole miscarriage thing involved lap surgery, a bunch of misoprostol, and then a d&c. I think everyone’s concerned about the additional physical stress of a new immediate ivf cycle (I also still have “post-ivf” ovaries). So, natural transfer cycle up next it is. Hoping I don’t have to bank but I agree better to bank sooner than later. Best of luck to you too.
  • I'd also bank more. I found myself in a similar situation last month where we only ended up with 2 normals PGS tested embryos and we want more than 2 kids. So I decided to do another retrieval (I just turned 35 as well). Both hubby and I (and RE) agreed that if the FET worked, it'd be at least 2 years until next retrieval and doing it at 37 will be harder than now at 35. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @Tulips29 argh that is frustrating- but 2 normal embryos in a cycle is a decent result I think? I’m 33 but if this next transfer doesn’t work (I wanna transfer 2) I might also bank more. I won’t be breastfeeding so the wait won’t be as long if the transfer does work I suppose. Tbh after all this, I can’t imagine wanting more than 2. 
  • nnemannema member
    I wish I knew about the "banking more" option when we did our IVF.  It was only after our transfer that I happened to read about people doing back to back retrieval!
    We only had one embryo after our cycle and the RE never mention anything about doing another retrieval. It sometimes makes me salty that our RE didn't present this option to us; especially knowing that I'm 36, with AMH of 1.0 and DOR. 
    I tried not to dwell on it too much because we have our *tw* beautiful 10 weeks old daughter, but feel like we have to start trying for her sibling much more early then we wanted! 
  • should definitely do PGS otherwise you are using your belly to test them!