October 2019 Moms

GTKY for March 11 (NBR) - Book and Movie Genres

What’s your favorite genre of book or movie? Do you have any recommendations for us in that genre?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GTKY for March 11 (NBR) - Book and Movie Genres

• Here's mine:
    Movies - Complex/Thoughtful Action, if there is such a thing (I can't handle the dramas or the rom coms these days, a good Marvel movie is right up my alley)
    I can't wait to see Captain Marvel. 

Books - fantasy/sci fi, especially anything with a whole universe built around it. 
    The best thing I have ever read was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. A-Ma-Zing world, detailed story, there needs to be an HBO series. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Movies, I like a good Rom Com or Thriller. I can't think of any movies recently that I loved. 
    Books, a light romance or detective books. Anything by James Patterson are my go to books. This series kind of reminds me of 50 Shades, but much better writing and story: Sylvia Day's Crossfire series. Jamie McGuire's Beautiful series (Beautiful Disaster, Walking Disaster, etc) was pretty good. I can't remember how many are in the series but there were a couple spin off books too. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Movies- I go with comedies, can be romantic or not. I love the Ugly Truth. It cracks me up so much. I also like Neighbors and the Blockers. Bad moms was also pretty good. 

Books- murder mysteries or crime based mysteries are my go tos. I know I’ve mentioned them before,
    but I highly recommend the In Death series. I also recently stumbled upon the John Puller and Memory Man series by David Baldacci that were really good. He also has a series that focuses on trained assassins I enjoyed
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Movies-It really depends on my mood. I enjoy RomComs, Thillers/Suspenseful stuff, some action and sci-fi.

Books-Mysteries and Crime fiction and non fiction. I am slowly working my way through the entirety of classic Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoy James Patterson. I like Stephen King and John Saul for an occasional horror. 
    I’ll throw in Sophia Kinsella when I need something light and humorous. 
    Also enjoy pretty much anything by Jodi Picoult. 

I did just finish the first Harry Potter although that isn’t generally my type read
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @galentine I’ll add those to my list

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• @kindbytealikat, I like some Jodi Picoult books, but I find hers to be hit or miss. Some I love, and some I really disliked. My favorite of hers is Plain Truth. I've read that one multiple times.
  • Movies: I enjoy most of the new superhero movies. I pretty much like anything except horror. A good one I saw recently was La La Land. 

Books: I love mysteries, but prefer cozy mysteries (eg Agatha Christie) to graphic/violent mysteries. One of my favorite series is the Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. It takes place in Canada and she does such a good job of developing the characters and the location, in addition to writing compelling mysteries. There are also plot lines that develop over several books in the series, unlike say, Agatha Christie’s books. I love the books so much that I force myself to wait a few months in between books because I don’t want to blow through them too quickly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @galentine I love The Husband’s Secret and echo your endorsement. Such a great book! 

@kindbytealikat Totally agreed on Jodi Picoult, I’ve read most of her books multiple times. She never fails to make me feel all of the emotions. 

@cmbt2 Is that the JD Robb series? If so, love those too! They are all good and fun, fast reads. Highly addictive series. 

Soooo as you can probably tell I like to read. Haha. I’m not sure if I have a favorite style of book, I really like a little bit of everything from the ones above to nonfiction. One of the best books I’ve read recently is The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It’s kind of hard to describe - I think it would probably be categorized as fantasy, maybe? Anyway, crazy good and weird book that had me hooked the whole way through!

For movies, I prefer dramas. I recently saw First Man and really enjoyed that. 
  • Here's mine:
    Movies - Complex/Thoughtful Action, if there is such a thing (I can't handle the dramas or the rom coms these days, a good Marvel movie is right up my alley)
    I can't wait to see Captain Marvel. 

Books - fantasy/sci fi, especially anything with a whole universe built around it. 
    The best thing I have ever read was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. A-Ma-Zing world, detailed story, there needs to be an HBO series. 
    I’m adding that series to my reading list, thanks!
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @jenferlee82 yes! It’s the only series Nora Roberts writes under that name. I’m not a huge fan of most of her other series, but i read all the In Death books as they come out 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 Totally agreed! I’m not really into her books under her name (little too romance heavy for me) but love that series. You’ve reminded me that it’s been a while since I’ve looked for a new one, and I know she’s written a lot of them! I’ll have to go see if I’ve missed any. 😁
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    edited March 2019
    @cmbt2 Totally agreed! I’m not really into her books under her name (little too romance heavy for me) but love that series. You’ve reminded me that it’s been a while since I’ve looked for a new one, and I know she’s written a lot of them! I’ll have to go see if I’ve missed any. 😁
    She had one that came out last month! I’ve noticed she usually does 2 books per year for that series ☺️ My husband never realized how many books there in it until it took over 2 shelves to house them all!

ETA- (I just counted- I have the first 17 in paperback and the remaining 30+ in hardback so they take up a lot of space 🙃🙈)
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:

She had one that came out last month! I’ve noticed she usually does 2 books per year for that series ☺️ My husband never realized how many books there in it until it took over 2 shelves to house them all!

ETA- (I just counted- I have the first 17 in paperback and the remaining 30+ in hardback so they take up a lot of space 🙃🙈)
    Hahaha that’s great, that’s a whole practically a whole bookcase! 

• Soooo as you can probably tell I like to read. Haha. I’m not sure if I have a favorite style of book, I really like a little bit of everything from the ones above to nonfiction. One of the best books I’ve read recently is The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It’s kind of hard to describe - I think it would probably be categorized as fantasy, maybe? Anyway, crazy good and weird book that had me hooked the whole way through!

I love this book! It's by Neil Gaiman an which makes me categorize it as fantasy too. It's kind of trippy, kind of down to earth. Have you read American Gods and Neverwhere? (read, I mean, not seen) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jenferlee82 Be prepared: its FIFTEEN books, but once you get started you want more. Also, I recommend reading in order of publishing. (The prequel book kind of spoils it if you read it first.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Books- I prefer fantasy (like Harry Potter of course) or non-fiction/leadership type books (like Grit).

Movies- I love comedies or I can also love action like Mission Impossible or the Marvel movies.
  • Movies I like comedies and comic book (mostly Marvel, but I like DC too) Can. Not. Wait. To see Captain Marvel! Hoping DH and I get a date night that doesn't involve selling our house stuff soon 🤞🏼

Books I like YA. I love Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I also enjoy crime and romance occasionally. My favorite book is The Time Traveler's Wife and I basically pick that or HP anytime I pick up a physical book.
  • @kindbytealikat i think i've decided i need to read the Harry Potter books. They're not my style of book either but they're such a classic, I think I'm gonna finally give in and read them when I'm done with school.

I'm just taking all your recommendations and making a nice long list!! Can't wait to be done with school and have time to read again!

• Soooo as you can probably tell I like to read. Haha. I’m not sure if I have a favorite style of book, I really like a little bit of everything from the ones above to nonfiction. One of the best books I’ve read recently is The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It’s kind of hard to describe - I think it would probably be categorized as fantasy, maybe? Anyway, crazy good and weird book that had me hooked the whole way through!

I love this book! It's by Neil Gaiman an which makes me categorize it as fantasy too. It's kind of trippy, kind of down to earth. Have you read American Gods and Neverwhere? (read, I mean, not seen) 
    Yes! I loved both of those too. They are all so weird in such a good way!
  • @jenferlee82 Be prepared: its FIFTEEN books, but once you get started you want more. Also, I recommend reading in order of publishing. (The prequel book kind of spoils it if you read it first.)
    Perfect! Thanks for the heads up. 
  • Movies: I have a soft spot for anything time travel related, but I also have a terrible attention span when it comes to sitting through a movie so I’m pretty hit or miss

books: fantasy and sci fi are my soft spots. A few years ago I tried to deliberately focus on diversifying my authors and have had some amazing finds as a result. NK Jamison and Nnedi Okorafor are my two favorite authors now. One of my partners manages a bookstore and every time I go over to her place she loads me up with new books so that’s been amazing. Favorite books I’ve read this year so far are The Worst Bad Thing (queer western thriller), Shadowshaper & Shadowhouse Fall (YA Latinx urban themed book where street art comes alive with the spirits of ancestors, it’s amazing) and Children of Blood and Bone (also YA, alternate reality based in Nigeria around folks with magic, except magic is gone and I can’t describe it to do it justice, just, wow.). 

For nonfiction I focus on self improvement, but like socially/politically. Raising White Kids, White Fragility, bell hook’s all about love are some powerful ones I hella recommend. I also picked up Michelle Tea’s Modern Tarot and I’m so excited to spend more time with it.
  • movies - pretty much anything except Horror. Love all the Marvel movies. Always down for a good rom-com. Not sure into the 'stupid' funny type. 

books - I don't have time to read anymore. When I did, it was usually trashy 'romance' novels or mysteries/crime. I was super into the Stephanie Plum series in college lol
  • galentine said:
    Oooh, good question @wintersong. I like action comedies for movies - my current fav that I've seen way too many times is Killers with Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl.

My favorite book genre is mystery or thriller. I really liked:
    The Husband's Secret (my #1 recommendation, I tell everyone to read this)
    The Marriage Lie
    Sometimes I Lie
    The Wife Between Us

But seriously, read The Husband's Secret. I loved this one.
    I've read all of those. Definitely good picks! I really enjoyed Sometimes I Lie. So creeping good. You should read Behind Her Eyes. It's a bit supernatural as well, but only a tiny bit. Just as creepy as the others, though.
    DD 10/2019
  • Ok so who remembers the Blake Livley and Anna Kendrick movie that came out last year called A Simple Favor? I didn’t see the movie or know it was based on a book. I found this out yesterday and Judy finished the book. It is so bizarre and twisted I suggest you read it.

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• @kindbytealikat, if you like Jodi Picoult, I'd recommend Diane Chamberlain. I prefer her more than Jodi, personally. She has a few that aren't as good as others (I'm looking at you, Pretending to Dance), but I really liked The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes and The Midwife's Confession.
    DD 10/2019
  • Movies: I'm down to watch most movies, truthfully, but if I had to pick a genre, it would be old-school musicals (Doris Day, Howard Keel, all those lovelies!). My favorite movies include The Pursuit of Happyness and Sister Act II.

Books: I love a good murder mystery, but I've recently been getting into memoirs and a little Sophie Kinsella (her stuff is adorable!). I'm embarrassed to admit that listening to audio book memoirs - which I do while driving or cleaning, but they could never replace physical books in my heart - read by the author have made me think twice about some of these celebrities. Some of them come across so bitter and angry and completely unappreciative with their lives. However, it also made me fall in love with Amy Schumer, who is such a real person.
    DD 10/2019
  • Ok so who remembers the Blake Livley and Anna Kendrick movie that came out last year called A Simple Favor? I didn’t see the movie or know it was based on a book. I found this out yesterday and Judy finished the book. It is so bizarre and twisted I suggest you read it.
    @kindbytealikat, I enjoyed the book but not the movie. I know it's the norm to prefer the book, but for some reason I was especially disappointed with this movie. Maybe because I love both actresses so much, but I just thought it was a let down.
  • Movies - I like pretty much anything but horror. I love a good period piece or WWII drama and am dying to go see The Aftermath. But my “comfort” movies are romcoms...The Holiday, You’ve Got Mail, Love Actually 

Books - Historical fiction or biographies. And not like celebrities who are 30 years old writing biographies 🙄 though I do love Mindy Kaling’s books. My 2 favorite I’ve read recently are Victoria by Daisy Goodwin and The Gown by Jennifer Robson
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Someone reminded me- I have the Umbrella Academy on my read/watch list when I travel for work at the end of the month. I can’t wait. 

Is this where I confess that I’ve been on a MCR kick for the past couple weeks?
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~