TTC After a Loss

March Healthy Check-in

A place to check-in about your healthy habits-eating, exercise, mindfulness etc. Please share your tips, recipes, weight loss or whatever else regarding your healthy habits.  

Re: March Healthy Check-in

• I used to do weight watchers and I plan to go back soon.  I just don’t want to pay for it.  I was a lifetime member for 15 years but with my struggles to lose weight after first pregnancy I stopped going because I was paying for nothing basically.  So I’m using the Lose it app to help count calories and once I get closer to my goal I will go back to WW.  I teach Jazzercise twice a week as well.  If my new hip will take it, I plan to start training for the breast cancer 3 day which is a 60 mile walk.  
  • @Mack2342 I used to be an online WW member and I also hated having to pay for it. I've started using myfitnesspal, which works really well, as long as I log my food. The problem is, when I eat poorly, I don't log it. Totally defeats the purpose. I had the same problem with WW, too.

I run 2-4 miles 3-5 days a week and go to the gym a couple times a week. All that exercise makes me feel like it's okay to eat things I shouldn't. I really just need to hate food. 😕
  • Loading the player...
  • I love this health/exercise thread idea, thanks for getting it started!

I used to be incredibly active (running, tris, hiking, skiiing). As we’ve gone through the losses and the IVF cycles my fitness declined, I was gaining weight, then after this loss in November I just haven’t done much other than yoga one day a week and drink a lot. I don’t need to be training for a half ironman again, but I definitely need to take better care of myself all around.

On that note, I will start today with the one thing I’ve been able to keep up with, my Sunday AM yoga class. Then start the week with good intentions.

@mack2342 I’m loving that you teach Jazzercise, I had no idea that was still around.
  • Everything you all already said! I was a lifetime member of WW for years but stopped tracking, TW had a baby, and then the losses. Therefore, I’m really trying to start concentrating on myself again. I’ve recently started working with a nutritionist to try and track macros. I also teach stroller Strides twice a week and take classes twice a week. On top of that I’m trying to use my treadmill more to get to at least 10,000 steps a day. I’m also starting a once a week boot camp this week so hopefully something will stick! Good luck ladies, it’s not easy but I think we can all do it together!
  • I’ve been thinking of starting weight watchers but also don’t want to pay for it haha. A couple of years ago, when I started out with my testing following the first couple of losses, I went keto and had great success. I need to get back into being low carb and get back into the gym. At one point I was going 6 days a week and felt great. I’d love to get back to that point. 
  • alliem89azalliem89az member
    edited March 2019
  • @mackorori jazzercise is celebrating its 50 year anniversary this year.  I love it. Been instructor for 10 years.  Before my son, I taught 5 days per week.  I also used to run 2-3 days a week prior to my son.  My DH and I used to run 2 half marathons a year. Now I can’t run since I got the new hip.  I really miss it.  I also miss how active I used to be but it’s just not possible anymore 
  • I need to get back into the gym.  It's the missing piece in this health kick I am currently on.  
  • I’d like to join in on this thread if you all don’t mind.  I was recently diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and I need to lose a lot of weight to prevent it from progressing.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism while I was pregnant, but I stopped taking the medication while my son was alive because I had no time to go to the doctor and get my levels adjusted.  Well, that was a bad idea and led to a lot of weight gain, fatigue, depression, and now liver disease.  I’m using MyFitnessPal to track my meals and I’m trying to stay between 1200-1300 calories a day.  I been using Daily Burn steaming workouts and I try to work out 4-5 times a week.  I’ve lost 10 lbs since the beginning of February, which is right where I want to be.  If my liver numbers don’t improve by May, I’ll have to get a biopsy, which I’d like to avoid.  DH and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and I’d like to be in better shape for that as well.

Anyways, I’m glad to have this thread for accountability!  Thanks for starting it @Mack2342 🙂
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • No problem @SpongeWorthy.  I figured there were plenty of us that were trying to be healthy.  Plus it is something else to focus on.  10lbs since February is awesome!  Keep it up! 
  • We just bought a bike (not peloton) but have subscribed the to the peloton digital classes and I really like them so far. I also used to be very much in to weight lifting, but haven’t gone in forever. My eating has also gotten way out of control. I have a lot of goals once I’m on the other side of this loss. I wanna eat better and get back in to heavy lifting.

one thing that ALWAYS gets me motivated is buying very cute, nice workout gear & shoes. Something about looking fly at the gym makes me wanna go and show out. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Ah yes, @chichiphin, I forgot that you're to blame for one of my lululemon shopping sprees! I'm ashamed to say I've bought more since then...😕
  • After my loss I ate everything, but returned to a healthy lifestyle about 2 weeks after. 

As far as eating and fitness regime. I go to SoulCycle 4x week and eat mindfully. I used to track meals in MyFitnessPal - but I do have a system that works for me without monitoring. Generally I have 1-2 protein shakes per day, fruit whenever I want a snack and since I cook 4-5 dinners a week I'm able to have a nutrient rich (low-carbohydrate) dinner that is actually tasty. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, so I've been snacking on chocolate covered frozen bananas at night for a sweet fix. Also, on the weekends, I'm definitely not so rigid, as I know that will trigger a really unhealthy cycle.

I managed to lose any weight I gained during pregnancy and feel pretty good about the way I look right now - which is nice. I think as long as I have goals to work towards health-wise - I won't obsess so much about TTC as much as I would.
  • My bad @ruby696 😬
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• No such thing as too much Lulu @chichiphin :)
  • How’s everybody doing this week?  I must have tweaked something in my knee during a workout because it’s a little swollen and stiff.  I’m trying to keep off it for a few days and then go to the doc if it doesn’t improve.  How is your new hip feeling @Mack2342?
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy knee pain is horrible!  My hip is good but now my knee is bugging me on same side.  I had knee pain before surgery and it was due to loss of muscle.  So I’m hoping it’s something going on with the muscle.  He did tell me that I would feel bad again because I think I can do more than my body is ready for so FX that’s what it is. I’m seeing my surgeon on the 28th to be sure.  I hope your knee feels better.  I don’t feel like I’ve done as well this week eating.  So I’m a little nervous to weigh in Saturday but I will.  I had planned to get an extra workout in this week but it didn’t work out as planned 
  • @SpongeWorthy and @Mack2342 sorry you are both having knee pain! It seems like it always something, you try to do good things for your body and it bites you in the a$$! Hopefully, you’ll both be feeling better soon!
    I’ve been really trying this week! Eating well, tracking my macros and working out. However, it seems like the weight is not coming off nearly as quickly as when I did Weight Watchers. Hopefully over time it will work as well. 
  • I've been eating terribly. I tend to eat my feelings and my labs/us this week did not give me good news. Basically, I don't have many follicles and my FSH is creeping up. I've had two McDonald's milkshakes in the last couple days. Not my finest moment.
  • I’m struggling because I’m in limbo. I won’t be hitting the gym until at least Wednesday based on my post op instructions. It’s really messing with my head tho because I’ve gained MORE weight/bloat since the procedure & my boobs have gotten even bigger. Doing what I can tho with cabbage leaves in my sports bra & chugging water and taking dandelion root pills for water retention. 

Cant wait to sweat it all off in a few more days 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• Scale was not kind to me this morning.  I’m hoping some of it is just AF bloat.  I was up almost 2lbs.  

@ruby696 I’m sorry for the not so good news.  

@char245 I did better on WW too.  I really want to go back but I just don’t want to pay for it.  If I could lose another 5lbs I think I would do it because then it wouldn’t take as long to get to goal so I could stop paying lol 
  • I'm normally fairly fit. I like to bike 3 times a week, hike, run and go to the gym. When DH broke his neck in September it put our fitness on hold for a bit. I maintained the gym but a lot of my time was spent helping him. Then the holidays, then pregnancy and from my seven week scan til now I've literally done nothing for exercise. One bike ride and a few walks. DH tried to get me to go on a hike today but I started bawling and couldn't do it. I'm going to try to atleast get some gardening done now.

On NY day I signed up for a 5km run in May. I'll have to start running again to get in shape for that 
  • Since my last week hasn’t been the greatest food wise, I decided to bite the bullet and signed up for weight watchers. I need some direction and “rules”. I don’t necessarily want to spend the money, but if it helps me lose the weight I can’t complain. 
  • @kbrown2385 I was thinking the same. Do you go in person or do it online? I've only ever done it online but I'm wondering if in person might be better.
  • @ruby696 I just signed up for online. I can’t commit to going to a meeting every week. My mom made me do ww with her when I was younger and was very self conscious going to those meetings. 
  • @ruby696 I’ve always gone to meetings and liked the support 
  • For me personally, I’ve been much more successful with WW when I’ve done in person meetings. Sadly we moved 45 min away from my favorite meeting and haven’t been able to find a good one near me. 
  • Yeah, I feel like I would hate the meetings, but I would probably do a lot better with some accountability (aka public humiliation)
  • @Mack2342 I’m sorry you’re dealing with knee pain too.  Mine seems to be improving if I keep off of it and don’t push too hard during workouts.  My weight fluctuates a lot during my cycle, too.  Why is being a woman so hard?? DH can eat whatever he wants and not gain anything, whereas I have to eat like a bird to see any results.  Ugh.

@char245 I’m curious what your macro goals are if you’re willing to share.  How do you like the nutritionist so far?

@ruby696 I’m an emotional eater too.  I had a DQ blizzard yesterday even though I know I shouldn’t.  And I paid for it with a stomach ache 😖 I’m sorry about your not so great lab results.

@40momma i’m jealous of your good weather!  It seems like spring always takes forever to come around here.  What are you planting in your garden?

@kbrown2385 Good for you for signing up!  I haven’t tried WW but i’ve had friends who swear by it.  

@chichiphin That’s great!  Good job getting to the gym.  What’s your normal workout routine like?
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy I agree my DH has lost 16lbs and keeps losing.  He gets to eat like 1000 more calories a day.  Meanwhile I’m struggling and have only lost 6lbs 
  • char245char245 member
    edited March 2019
    @SpongeWorthy my macros are Protein- 128 Fat- 50 Carbs - 75 unless it’s a heavy workout day and then I cut the fat and up the carbs. The nutritionist has been fine, she’s a little flaky and I’m not 100% sticking to this so we don’t make the best team lol. 
  • @SpongeWorthy we are having a mini heat wave right now and everyone is in such a good mood. Today it got to 21C which is about 70F. Right now I'm just weeding but I'd like to plant a few perennials in honour of my 4 losses. I'm thinking chrysanthemums but maybe something else
  • @SpongeWorthy you’re also doing macros, right? What are yours?
  • @char245 Yes I am 🙂 I am vegetarian, so things are a little bit different (aka it’s hard to get protein lol).  My goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein.  I focus more on the total calories than the ratio, though.
    CP 3/2019
  • Lots to catch up on! Sorry to hear about some of the struggles you ladies are having this week with knee issues, disappointing blood work, the mental torture of loss and TTC, men and their ability to lose weight overnight (I cannot even begin about DH in this regard, ridiculously high metabolism that one, so frustrating...). But there were also successes, which is great to hear.

Last week I was more focused on getting my mental state in a better place so I'm more engaged to be active like I want to be. I went to a support group over the weekend that my RE sponsors on mind/body stress management for those going through fertility treatments.  I felt lighter after having those conversations, and then Sunday's yoga class theme was a "mini spring cleaning". 

• @SpongeWorthy now I want a DQ blizzard... I'm currently doing the following splits: bis/tris, shoulders, back/chest, legs. As soon as I'm done bleeding fully or can safely wear a tampon *sorry for TMI* I'll be adding in plyometrics leg day bc I got some fluff to lose to fit back in to my normal jeans. 

What is your normal routine? 

@mackorori that yoga class sounds like something I could use right about now. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• @Mack2342 that’s awesome!! Love seeing progress on the scale!

I on the other hand started my morning with a giant doughnut  :# I’ll just walk extra fast on the treadmill today lol. In all seriousness I need to get back on track fast!!
  • @Mack2342 wahoo!! Keep it up! 
    @char245 eh you need carbs sooo 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Today plan is all about lifting arms + treadmill sprints to get that extra fluff off!!! Also, I want to get thru as much water as possible today. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18