October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @prpl11butterfly I don't have a rec for you, because I love my gummy but it has folic acid. I was wondering why you were looking to avoid it though. I'd never heard of using an alternate form before, and now I'm curious!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @steminist please keep in mind that this is a very simple explanation......

I *think* based on my own experience and family history that I have MTHFR genetic mutation. I started looking into it after my second loss. Studies use to think it was a key component to RPL. Now it's looking like it's not. BUT, in my research, I found a lot of things I suffer from can be linked. One of the biggest for me was weather induced migranes. I've seen a neurologist who put me on CoQ10 which helps but not significantly. It turns out that people who have this mutation can have difficulty processing folic acid into methylfolate, the bioavailable form,  which in turn causes a whole chain reaction of complications with energy production (this is where the CoQ10 comes in to assist mitochondrian). Obviously I was taking in a lot of FA while TTC and I was having a lot of migranes. I figured switching would not hurt anything even if it wouldn't prevent another loss. So I did. This is the first thing that has shown me sustained relief. I have 50% few headache days and ones I was having were easily treated with Advil. It doesn't mean I for sure have the mutation (I'm on the fence with being tested) but it does lean me in that direction. I'm afraid to start using FA again because I don't like the migrane lifestyle and quite honestly it makes me feel more comfortable with my loss history to avoid it just in case.
  • Loading the player...
  • @prpl11butterfly Wow, I had no idea! That totally makes sense to avoid, even if just for the migraines. Honestly, genetics and biochem are so messy and fragile, it's amazing our bodies even function, most of the time.
  • @prpl11butterfly My sister has an MTHFR mutation (there are different kinds) and didn't realize it until after four healthy pregnancies (when she then had three miscarriages back-to-back). It's crazy the things that can affect our bodies!

Is there a reason you're on the fence about getting tested? I did a cheek swab to rule it out for me, and it was completely painless. I apologize if this comes across rude; I'm just trying to understand.
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t fear of losing the potential  placebo effect 😂. Really that's all it is because I know it really doesn't mean much and nothing can be done about it if I do have it. I know there are different forms, it's the C form I beleive I have and based on migrane triggers/symptoms, 1 copy.
  • What kindve prenatals is everyone taking?
  • @meagan-t fear of losing the potential  placebo effect 😂. Really that's all it is because I know it really doesn't mean much and nothing can be done about it if I do have it. I know there are different forms, it's the C form I beleive I have and based on migrane triggers/symptoms, 1 copy.
    Ha ha! I call that completely fair! Right now I may be experiencing the placebo effect with my morning sickness remedies, but I'll absolutely take it.
    DD 10/2019
  • @stargazer102519 I love that you asked this question as I've also been curious! I've been taking the One-a-Day ones, but I truthfully can't make heads or tails of the major differences between most of them.
    DD 10/2019
  • @galentine probably one of those 'different for every one/pregnancy' things. For me, the aversions mostly went away after the 1st tri. 

@stargazer102519 I take nature made prenatal multi+DHA

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Anyone have a prenatal gummy that has Methylfoate (I do not want folic acid) to recommend? I want to switch because mine includes a DHA soft gel which is not going over well with my stomach. I don't see the point in buying that if I can't take half of it (and really the gummy flavor is getting old). 

ETA I have tried the Smarty Pants but hate that I have to take 6! And the banana flavor is a big fat no....
    It’s regular folate, but garden of life prenatals. I supplement with straight methylfolate
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    Question for the STM+ crowd: are food aversions related to nausea? I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat better when the nausea goes away (assuming does.... LOL), or if the aversions stick around the whole pregnancy?
    Not for me 😞
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @steminist please keep in mind that this is a very simple explanation......

I *think* based on my own experience and family history that I have MTHFR genetic mutation. I started looking into it after my second loss. Studies use to think it was a key component to RPL. Now it's looking like it's not. BUT, in my research, I found a lot of things I suffer from can be linked. One of the biggest for me was weather induced migranes. I've seen a neurologist who put me on CoQ10 which helps but not significantly. It turns out that people who have this mutation can have difficulty processing folic acid into methylfolate, the bioavailable form,  which in turn causes a whole chain reaction of complications with energy production (this is where the CoQ10 comes in to assist mitochondrian). Obviously I was taking in a lot of FA while TTC and I was having a lot of migranes. I figured switching would not hurt anything even if it wouldn't prevent another loss. So I did. This is the first thing that has shown me sustained relief. I have 50% few headache days and ones I was having were easily treated with Advil. It doesn't mean I for sure have the mutation (I'm on the fence with being tested) but it does lean me in that direction. I'm afraid to start using FA again because I don't like the migrane lifestyle and quite honestly it makes me feel more comfortable with my loss history to avoid it just in case.
    You probably know this, but you need to get tested. If you have it, you need to be on daily baby aspirin and methylfolate, not to mention lovenox injections post delivery

im homozygous for one of the mutations (so two copies) so I can’t process folic acid at all 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @stargazer102519 I'm taking the CVS prenatal gummies. I can usually get them BOGO half off with the CVS card! I have tried some of the other gummies and don't like the flavor/aftertaste as much and I had some sample packs of pill from my OB last time, but I figure why get a prescription if the OTC ones are just as good?
  • @cmbt2 I am on daily baby asprin (helps with migranes as well) and RE said continue taking it until I see my OB. I'm not worried about needing lovenox as I was tested for clotting disorders (negative all around). I've also had 1 successful, event free pregnancy so RE isn't worried about it.
  • @stargazer102519 I also take nature made prenatal multi+DHA
  • bkaufbkauf member
    @galentine Food aversions got WAY better for me once the nausea passed (around 15 weeks both times).  However, with DS, I couldn't tolerate ground beef the entire pregnancy (we're from the midwest...so that's a little difficult  :D).  It seems peanut butter might be the aversion of choice for this pregnancy - I'll know once the nausea clears!  Hang in there
  • +1 to nature made prenatal with dha 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @galentine for me, food aversions weren't related to nausea. With my last, I had aversions to chicken and some fruit. Never had nausea. The aversions went away a few days after delivering. So weird. This time, I've had some minor nausea but no food aversions (yet!). 
  • I'm getting more and more worried for my first appointment/ultrasound Monday. I have no signs that I'm miscarrying and I'm still nauseated (though not as much as I was earlier this week, but I'm hoping it's because my probiotic is doing its job), but hearing all of these bad things is making me scared. How do I get over this? I'm so close, but it feels so far away.
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t I had none of these issues with our daughter; literally felt amazing the entire first trimester so I completely get It! Just know that your not alone & soon you’ll have that growing waistline! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is anyone else taking a magnesium supplement? I am and notice that some days I have no bloat. Currently 7 weeks. Just curious if anyone else has zero bloat?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    afayville said:
    Is anyone else taking a magnesium supplement? I am and notice that some days I have no bloat. Currently 7 weeks. Just curious if anyone else has zero bloat?
    I take a daily one. I’m ridiculously bloated 🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • afayville said:
    Just curious if anyone else has zero bloat?
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I wish! I look like Violet from Willy Wonka once she turns into a blueberry every day as soon as I eat a single bite.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • afayville said:
    Is anyone else taking a magnesium supplement? I am and notice that some days I have no bloat. Currently 7 weeks. Just curious if anyone else has zero bloat?
    My bloat has gone down greatly this week thanks to the probiotics I started. They are also helping my morning sickness. It's been a godsend to find them!
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t I feel the same way. I remember getting anxiety around this time during my first pregnancy because this is the time when unfortunately some people leave so there’s a lot of bad news/uncertain news. Just remember each day you are still pregnant, and it’s ok to sometimes skip those threads until you are ready. 
    Thank you so much. That's really helpful to hear. You worded that really well.
    DD 10/2019
  • Hi all - has anyone had any experience with a subchorionic hematoma? I had my 7 week scan today and all looks well but they spotted a SCH. I'm waiting on a call for any further instructions, but a little concerned. I'm on Lovenox & baby aspirin and I'm wondering if these contributed. I haven't had any bleeding yet... was told to expect it.
  • @obsessedwithoranges I had one my first pregnancy. I was told they’re really common. It never bled and I had no restrictions. I think the size and location can make a difference so it’s worth asking about. I was really freaked out about it too, but DD is now a healthy, feisty 1.5 yo and the SCH didn’t affect my pregnancy at all. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Hi all - has anyone had any experience with a subchorionic hematoma? I had my 7 week scan today and all looks well but they spotted a SCH. I'm waiting on a call for any further instructions, but a little concerned. I'm on Lovenox & baby aspirin and I'm wondering if these contributed. I haven't had any bleeding yet... was told to expect it.
    Had one with DS1. It never caused issues, and I had no restrictions. BA and lovenox aren’t contributing factors on this
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @obsessedwithoranges I went to the doctor for some spotting a few weeks ago and that’s what they found. The spotting has since stopped, and we’ve seen little nugget’s heart beating along just fine!

• @greenbean-2 @cmbt2 @sammygirl18 thanks so much for the quick responses! That makes me feel a lot better!
  • @obsessedwithoranges I've also had 1. DS is 3.5 now! They said it was common and nothing to worry about.
  • @obsessedwithoranges I was just diagnosed with one yesterday - I was bleeding heavily and my OB's office had me go to the ER, where they found it. It was scary, but baby looks fine and healthy! They told me to go on bed rest for the next week and said I'll likely be on pelvic rest after that until it resolves. I'll have ultrasounds every two weeks for now to check on things, but they said overall I shouldn't worry too much and that they are common.
  • So I went in for my first ultrasound today thinking I was 7w5d. However, when she did the ultrasound, baby was measuring at 6 weeks. We did see the heartbeat, but it’s was pretty low, around 82bpm, which she said was normal at 6 weeks. I’m just confused though, because this means I got a very positive pregnancy test at exactly 3 weeks pregnant....but at that point, I was actually 5 days late for my period so I really should’ve been 4w5d..

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
  • @annanbby definitely possible! I actually have the same exact time line :) I got a positive at 9dpo by my calculations (and chart day 33, so 5 days late if I wasn't tracking ovulation) and my ultrasound put me 2 days later, so I technically got a positive right at 3 weeks as well! 

It's most likely you just ovulated late and the ultrasound may be a day off or two as well. 
  • @nnaelilak that makes me feel so much better! It just seemed like such a big difference, I was getting worried. (It must’ve shown on my face too because the ultrasound tech kept telling me not to worry about it 😅)
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    annanbby said:
    So I went in for my first ultrasound today thinking I was 7w5d. However, when she did the ultrasound, baby was measuring at 6 weeks. We did see the heartbeat, but it’s was pretty low, around 82bpm, which she said was normal at 6 weeks. I’m just confused though, because this means I got a very positive pregnancy test at exactly 3 weeks pregnant....but at that point, I was actually 5 days late for my period so I really should’ve been 4w5d..

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
    I got my positive at 7dpo 🤷🏼‍♀️ It happens though is an anomaly. You likely ovulated later than the average CD 14/15. Ultrasounds can be off by a day or two, too
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Is anyone else pregnant and nursing? It hasn’t hurt like this since he was a newborn! 
    Yes, I'm nursing a 2 year old. It can be pretty painful when she latches on, but that varies day by day. 

Do you mind if I ask how old your little is?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jane101757 I think moms in their early to mid thirties might be more common on the bump than other forums ;) *34 by the time baby arrives*
    BabyFruit Ticker