May 2017 Moms

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in pregnancy

Is anyone dealing with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in pregnancy? My pelvic area is killing me and I'm looking for some relief. I have an appt next Thursday, but figured I'd ask here in the mean time.

Re: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in pregnancy

• Wrong board? I have no idea, my memory sucks. But never dealt with it, I hope you get some answers regardless.

• WombThereItIsWombThereItIs member
    edited January 2017
    Oops. Wrong thread!

May '17 labor memes
  • Loading the player...
  • @pshaortao, nope, I'm due 5/29.. was hoping to see if someone else had any remedies! :)
  • Alright, I wasn't sure! I saw you were more active over in June but I know we have some straddlers

• Yeah sounds like this is a lot like symphysis pubis dysfunction. Like, it's basically the same thing but in a different place in the pelvis. I guess they both fall under "pelvic girdle pain," which is what I should probably be telling people I have instead of SPD, because with this pregnancy and the previous one, more of the pain is in the SI joint, though it is in both places. With pregnancy #1 the pain was mostly in the front/pubic bone area, so it was more solidly SPD. Do you have public bone pain as well, or is it just in your back/butt area?

What are you doing for it? There are exercises you can do to strengthen your hips and pelvic floor / core area. I sort of do these sometimes but need to do it more. I definitely stretch after doing a lot of physical activity such as walking, teaching (like walking), or tap dancing. How do you sleep? Currently I'm surviving with a pillow between the legs (and CAREFUL turning over when I turn over at night), but if it's like the other pregnancies I will need more aggressive pillow action when I get further along. Last time I needed a handicapped parking spot, but I'm hoping I gain less weight this time (outlook not great so far though) and I'm fitter (also not great outlook), so that I won't be as disabled.

I hope you are able to manage it. Good news is that with #1 it cured itself at delivery. With #2 not so much, but I was back to normal after a few months at least.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• heath313heath313 member
    edited January 2017
    @kat81 mine is more localized in the front on and next to the pubic bone, mainly on the left side. I didn't have this with pregnancy 1 or 2, so this is new territory for me. This baby girl is suuuuuper low though so idk if that plays a role. I'm also a teacher. 

I sleep on my side with a body pillow between my legs. As far as stretching I've just been kinda squatting and rocking side to side.
  • I didnt experience this with dd but I'm constantly in pain down there and can hear stuff popping at night that i know is not my hips. I haven't reply mentioned it to my Dr. Should i? Is there anything they can do?
  • Jkp7749 said:
    I didnt experience this with dd but I'm constantly in pain down there and can hear stuff popping at night that i know is not my hips. I haven't reply mentioned it to my Dr. Should i? Is there anything they can do?
    Yes you should mention it. You might get physical therapy or something along those lines. You definitely have some pelvic thing going on. The popping is part of it. It's good to talk to a professional about how to move so that you won't pop--it's possible to pop completely out of place and become paralyzed until you fix it (never happened to me, but that does happen in extreme cases!)

• I had SPD with DD and it came back around 18 weeks this time... JOY, however mine has not been bad enough to require therapy. Unfortunately all I could do was slow down, scale back my activity, and take some Tylenol. I feel like i'm being ripped in two at my pubic bone daily... I try to get out and go for a walk when I can. Its like a double edge sword as it sometimes helps, sometimes puts me on my back unable to move much the rest of the night. Last time my hips clicked when I walk, so luckily that hasn't happened yet.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• YES! 

I've been seeing a chiropractor and have had it adjusted 3 times. The first time I had amazing, instant relief. Life changing. It only lasted about 2 weeks and since then the adjustments have only been helping for a couple days. 

It's getting to the point of excruciating pain that makes it hard to move or walk. I wish I could find more permanent relief. 
  • I should also add that my pain is in my right lower back/butt area. It's also caused some sciatica but that was gone after my first chiropractic adjustment. 

I also sleep with a pillow between my legs but it causes enough pain at night that sometimes I physically cannot roll over or get up out of bed on my own. 
  • I have more SI issues, lower back/butt area, and was told my right hip is not as stable as my left. I use a u-shaped pillow which seems to help. Also, Tiger Balm hot/cold pads seem to help and the pharmacist said they were better to use pregnant than icy hot, but certainly check with your dr (mine was okay with any of it) and tylenol. I had PT and they've given great stretches/exercises to do that help with SI and I would think help your area as well. They, also, recommended an SI band that you can buy on amazon, but I forget which one exactly they told me. I can always find the paper at home if anyone would be interested. They said it may be helpful more in the third trimester as obviously more weight is on the hips, so I haven't ordered it yet. I don't remember it being too expensive either. 

Hang in there everyone!! :)

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I was diagnosed with SPD in my third trimester with DS and this time it was super early, around 12 weeks. I've been going to physical therapy and while the first two sessions made me so sore I couldn't get off the couch, I saw some improvement with the next two. 

@fbmandy55 for the excruciating pain while rolling over in bed my therapist recommended pulling your legs up together toward your chest and easing on to your back and then making a "bridge" to flip to your otherside. When I first started doing it, I had to really think about my movements, but it has become second nature and really helped the pain. 

I totally sympathize with all of you ladies. Being in pain every time you move gets so exhausting and makes it a long 40 weeks.
  • @MoshiMoshi7 I've also noticed that keeping a pillow between my legs when I roll over helps with it not hiring as bad. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @SKZW I was pretty skeptical about PT (and thought it was going to be expensive) but once I found out it was covered, I was desperate enough to try anything. Hopefully it'll give you some relief!
  • @SKZW I was pretty skeptical about PT (and thought it was going to be expensive) but once I found out it was covered, I was desperate enough to try anything. Hopefully it'll give you some relief!
    That's how I was about the Chiropractor. Mine does sports medicine and PT also. I was so desperate I couldn't wait to go. Thankfully, I get 21 visits and only a $30 copay. 
  • Agreed with others on the chiropractor. I started going a week or so ago and I already fee a difference. My chiro, in addition to adjusting my lower back/ SI joint area, gave me a support belt which has worked wonders. 
  • I did during my first pregnancy in 2017. Honestly, I thought it was normal due to the additional baby weight so I never really visited the doctor. The pain was a little bit severe but since I wasn't moving a lot during that time, I had to persevere. I would later on read about si joint pain during pregnancy on this site https://www.thisisinsider.com/what-is-si-joint-pain-2018-2. Apparently, most musculoskeletal pain like si joint pain during pregnancy occurs as a result of a hormone known as relaxin that causes your muscles and ligaments to relax. Therefore, when the ligaments relax, what occurs next is joint  instability which eventually leads to increased joint mobility. Since the pain continued even after giving birth, I decided to buy a sacroiliac belt which has been really helpful. I also do lots of yoga and so far, so good.