October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• I really wish test results didn’t come through on the weekend. I had a urinalysis done Friday because I thought I may have a UTI. Got my results emailed today. My calcium oxalate crystals are “many (>15HPF) which, according to Dr Google, can indicate kidney stones. Or that they’re likely to form. So I could have them or not. And some things I read say it should have no affect on the baby and some things say differently. My anxiety is already a bit elevated *TW loss* because our last baby stopped growing at 8 weeks, which is where I’m at now. Ugh. 
  • I really wish test results didn’t come through on the weekend. I had a urinalysis done Friday because I thought I may have a UTI. Got my results emailed today. My calcium oxalate crystals are “many (>15HPF) which, according to Dr Google, can indicate kidney stones. Or that they’re likely to form. So I could have them or not. And some things I read say it should have no affect on the baby and some things say differently. My anxiety is already a bit elevated *TW loss* because our last baby stopped growing at 8 weeks, which is where I’m at now. Ugh. 
    I hate that some places release results without the doctor reviewing it first for this reason! While I can’t say for sure one way or another without knowing your full medical history, I wouldn’t worry too much about that in the absence of other signs/symptoms of kidney stones (notably, severe flank pain and blood in the urine). Just keep drinking lots of water and give your doc a call tomorrow if they don’t call you first. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • @melanier26 pregnancy can definitely increase chances of kidney stones. However, babe should be just fine. My boss had some in her 1st tri and everything worked out perfectly okay. I agree that drinking lots of water is all you can do. And really, even if it turns into more, aside from pain meds all you can do is drink.  Drinking water is the cure for all pregnancy ailments 🙄
  • @manillabar @prpl11butterfly Thanks ladies. I really haven’t been doing a good job of drinking enough water but I will just have to force myself to start! 
  • @dogmom5 I’m sorry you’re going through it, too.  Our little guy is 13 months old, so he’ll probably be nursing for at least a few more months. Have you found anything that helps the pain? Lanolin was my friend when our son was a newborn, but it doesn’t help at all now.  :(
  • Does nausea usually go away after the first trimester? I am counting down the days! 
  • @smorales89 From everything I've read, yes, and while I've only been dealing with it for about five days, I'm so over it. I'm just trying to remind myself that there is a beautiful light at the end of this dark tunnel.
    DD 10/2019
  • @emily1052 a friend just sent me "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster. I like it so far - I'm a researcher, so I appreciate someone aggregating all of the scientific data on pregnancy questions. 
  • @melanier26 I've been getting acid reflux in the afternoons and I just started sipping a ginger kombucha - that has helped a lot. I hope yours gets better soon! 

• @moony0310 I heard that was a good book - just ordered it on amazon!  Thank you for the reminder :)
  • scuba_chicscuba_chic member
    edited March 2019
    @dogmom5 @PleaseSendPicklesNow DD is 10 months and we're currently still nursing. However, almost as soon as I got pg, my supply tanked and we had to start using formula as a bridge til 1 year.  I'm still nursing and pumping just as often and it hurts so bad to pump.  DD has also started to bite some which is extremely painful. I'm really wanting to be done at a year, but we'll see how she takes it.  I feel like my boobs are pacifiers for her half the time and the transition is not going to be pretty.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • HS Teacher moms: with DS1, I took off a year because of birthday timing and moving to a different state during the same school year. This time, I will be going back to work after maternity leave. How do you manage pumping in a classroom? Does your school have a private room you can actually use? Did your admin schedule your classes to allow for well-timed breaks? I feel like a FTM with this part of it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • meagan-t said:
    @smorales89 From everything I've read, yes, and while I've only been dealing with it for about five days, I'm so over it. I'm just trying to remind myself that there is a beautiful light at the end of this dark tunnel.
    Good! Yes, the day AFTER my first OB (where I said there was no nausea) is when it all kicked in, going on a full week! I need to keep reminding myself of that same thing, we tried for so long and this will all be worth it!
  • Not to be a black cloud, but nausea doesn't always leave after the 1st tri. I've had friends who had it all 9 months, and mine came back in the 3rd tri after DS started pushing into my stomach. :confused:
  • Scuba_chic We’re right there with you. He’s chomping, and it HURTS!  Sometimes when he does it and catches me off guard, I scream. Then I feel so bad for startling him. :(

My supply is alright (I think?). If it dropped, I’m not aware, because he’s eating solids so much now. But he LOVES to nurse, and he seems to have no interest in weaning. At this rate, I’ll be tandem nursing by the end of the year. 

And hey, on that note… Do any moms of 2+ have words of wisdom regarding nursing an infant and a toddler simultaneously? I’m out ears, lay that knowledge on me. Please!  :)
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    steminist said:
    Not to be a black cloud, but nausea doesn't always leave after the 1st tri. I've had friends who had it all 9 months, and mine came back in the 3rd tri after DS started pushing into my stomach. :confused:
    Hi, me! I had a few weeks reprieve each time, that’s it 😪
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • cmbt2 said:
    steminist said:
    Not to be a black cloud, but nausea doesn't always leave after the 1st tri. I've had friends who had it all 9 months, and mine came back in the 3rd tri after DS started pushing into my stomach. :confused:
    Hi, me! I had a few weeks reprieve each time, that’s it 😪
    Me too. I actually threw up more during third tri than first tri. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • galentine said:
    Me, after all these posts saying nausea may not end with 1st tri:

Yup! Exactly!
    DD 10/2019
  • dogmom5dogmom5 member
    edited March 2019
    @PleaseSendPicklesNowif it’s uncomfortable, I just unlatch and re-latch.  This babe is almost 2 so our nursing sessions are at night and if it’s too uncomfortable I just unlatch and rock to sleep.  Lanolin could help ease the pain or a nipple shield maybe? @scuba_chic I remember with my first baby who was 12 months when I got pregnant with my second how fast my supply dipped all of a sudden too.  I felt like weaning with my first was going to be horrible and the nursing sessions just got shorter and every few days apart until finally my boobs were of no interest anymore.  I will say it was nice to get a short break of having my boobs to myself haha.  We’ll see what happens this time around...

ETA @PleaseSendPicklesNow this sounds weird but try putting some olive oil on a cotton ball and putting that in your bra to soften your nipple.  Put a pad in there too so it doesn’t stain your bra.  A Lactation consultant gave me that trick when my nipples were so sore and it helped better than lanolin :) 
  • @steminist Each school in my district has a room set aside for moms who need to pump. I believe it’s required by law for schools to provide this. In my case, I have my own office attached to my room and can close and lock the door. I would discuss it with your principal, or other moms in your building when you are comfortable sharing the news. 😁
  • bkaufbkauf member
    Anyone else just completely freaked out??  Still awaiting my first US next Monday and I think these next 6 days are going to be the longest ever (will be 8w tomorrow).  Expecting my 3rd...I'm more worried/nervous/anxious about a healthy pregnancy this time than the other two combined!
  • @bkauf Me! My first ultrasound is also next Monday, and I'll be 7w1d, I believe. This is my first ultrasound, and I'm desperately praying that our little one is healthy. We lost our first at about 7.5 weeks in December, just two days before the ultrasound, so I get a little more anxious each day.
    DD 10/2019
  • bkaufbkauf member
    @meagan-t Oh, I'm so sorry!!  I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on Monday, too!  Just hoping to hear nice strong heartbeats so we can both begin to actually enjoy the excitement of it all!   <3
  • Thanks, @bkauf; that's definitely appreciated!

Has anyone else jinxed themselves with symptoms? Last Monday I told someone I have no nausea, then bam, the next day it begins. Yesterday I told the same woman from before that I have no vomiting, and lo and behold, I vomited this morning.

Also, do any of you with nausea have nausea with vomiting, or just nausea? I'm so miserable, but I'm trying to stay positive. I've only thrown up the once, so it may have been a one-off, but I'm curious to see what's to come...
    DD 10/2019
  • bkaufbkauf member
    @meagan-t No experience with jinxing myself, but all three pregnancies gave me LOTS of nausea with very little actually getting sick.  First two times, around week 15, I began to realize my appetite was resurfacing and I never looked back.  Fingers crossed it's that predictable this time...c'mon late April  :p
    For now, I've found that grapefruit Bubly water helps to calm the 'yuck' factor without being loaded with a bunch of junk!  Good luck!!!
  • galentinegalentine member
    edited March 2019
    @meagan-t, I have nausea and vomiting. So far the nausea has been pretty constant all day every day, and the vomiting has been localized to morning only, and not every day. The frustrating part has been how the nausea continues even after the vomiting takes place. Usually when I don't feel well, vomiting will give me some relief, like I finally got rid of whatever was making me ill. Not the case with pregnancy, apparently. When I vomit.... I just continue to feel like crap 🤢
  • @meagan-t I have all-day nausea with no vomiting (knock on wood). However, I've had some moments of reprieve, so I'm hoping that I'm starting to come out the other side. Or perhaps I'm just deluding myself. Hey, as long as it works!
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• @galentine & @elle-0409 My nausea has also been all-day, every day, and while awful, I'd (almost) gladly take that over the vomiting part. I was still quite queasy after this episode, but I did feel a bit better. It didn't last but about an hour, though, before the morning sickness came back. Sigh. What an adventure!
    DD 10/2019
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @meagan-t I vomit with my nausea when I don’t keep on my meds. It sucks, I’m sorry 😞 all my pregnancies have been like this
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Accidentally posted this in my DD group weekly check-in. Meant to post here:

I read an article from The Bump that references possible risks associated with at home fetal Doppler use. The FDA apparently advises against it. What do you ladies think? Is this overly cautious or a legitimate concern? I wanted to order one, but now I’m feeling deterred. 

https://www.thebump.com/a/fetal-doppler 

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Accidentally posted this in my DD group weekly check-in. Meant to post here:

I read an article from The Bump that references possible risks associated with at home fetal Doppler use. The FDA apparently advises against it. What do you ladies think? Is this overly cautious or a legitimate concern? I wanted to order one, but now I’m feeling deterred. 

Other than the waves comment, which is eye roll worthy and isn’t the issue here, they make accurate statements. 

Home dopplers are great when you have the right mindset. It’s solely to find the heartbeat. Finding it before your A/S can give the piece of mind that pregnancy is going okay, but it doesn’t mean anything other than the heart is beating. It’s the same if you can’t find the heartbeat- it doesn’t mean anything is wrong other than you are not finding it at this time.

Later in pregnancy, they’re not useful because fetal movement is going to be the sign of a potential issue, and a beating heart can deter mom from seeking help when she needs to be seen ASAP. 

When I got induced with DS2, if we had used just a doppler that day instead of doing a NST, we’d have had no idea he was having constant decels and not maintaining the heart rate he needed
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Question for the STM+ crowd: are food aversions related to nausea? I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat better when the nausea goes away (assuming does.... LOL), or if the aversions stick around the whole pregnancy?
  • @galentine Yes and no, for me. Once my nausea cleared, I was way better about what I could eat, but there were some things I still couldn't stand. I didn't eat pork the entire 9 months. Also, slightly related, you can also develop sensitivities to foods during pregnancy. Around the 2nd trimester, I started having a reaction to carrots and couldn't eat them until after I delivered.
  • cmbt2 said:
    Accidentally posted this in my DD group weekly check-in. Meant to post here:

Other than the waves comment, which is eye roll worthy and isn’t the issue here, they make accurate statements. 

Home dopplers are great when you have the right mindset. It’s solely to find the heartbeat. Finding it before your A/S can give the piece of mind that pregnancy is going okay, but it doesn’t mean anything other than the heart is beating. It’s the same if you can’t find the heartbeat- it doesn’t mean anything is wrong other than you are not finding it at this time.

Later in pregnancy, they’re not useful because fetal movement is going to be the sign of a potential issue, and a beating heart can deter mom from seeking help when she needs to be seen ASAP. 

When I got induced with DS2, if we had used just a doppler that day instead of doing a NST, we’d have had no idea he was having constant decels and not maintaining the heart rate he needed
    Thank you for sharing your insight. Very helpful. 
  • Has anyone in the group experienced a loss prior to this pregnancy? Just looking for someone who might have those same anxious jitters. We have had a confirmed heartbeat before and then miscarried later on in the pregnancy. Praying for a different outcome on this one but we have started out on the same path (spotting at 6 weeks off and on; confirmed strong heartbeat).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @afayville I miscarried my first in December 2018, and I have my first appointment and ultrasound this coming Monday. I don't have any spotting, but you're not alone in your fears. I'll be sending positive vibes and thoughts your way. I've noticed others on here are in a similar boat as well.
    DD 10/2019
  • @galentine I am the same as Steminist. I was able to eat better once the initial yuck feeling faded. However, banana was my biggest aversion while preg with DS. He's 3.5 and I still cannot stomach them (even the smell sometimes gets me).

@afayville there are several of us here who have experienced loss prior. There is a PGAL thread posted weekly. Feel free to join us there and commiserate on anxious feelings!
  • Thank you! I was wondering as I figured there had to be a thread for this somewhere!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2019
    Anyone have a prenatal gummy that has Methylfoate (I do not want folic acid) to recommend? I want to switch because mine includes a DHA soft gel which is not going over well with my stomach. I don't see the point in buying that if I can't take half of it (and really the gummy flavor is getting old). 

ETA I have tried the Smarty Pants but hate that I have to take 6! And the banana flavor is a big fat no....