3rd Trimester

Herniated discs & Epidural

Hello! I'm 38 weeks and seeking counsel. I have herniated discs at L3-4 and 4-5. Never had surgery because my doctor didn't think they were bad enough, just physical therapy and lumbar epidurals. Pregnancy has surprisingly been kind to my back for the most part, just a few flare-ups lasting around a week. Spoke with someone in the anesthesia department at our hospital and he said the decision to get an epidural in labor is up to me - it could possibly aggravate the discs afterwards, it could not. But labor even without the epidural could do the same thing! Have any of you had a similar situation with either complications after epidural or no complications? I'm thinking since my herniations weren't bad enough for surgery, I'll probably be ok, but I'm curious about other's experiences. Ideally I'll stick it out without one, but I really have no idea how I will tolerate the pain until it happens, as I am a first time mom.  Thanks in advance for your responses :smile:

Re: Herniated discs & Epidural

• Hello! I'm 38 weeks and seeking counsel. I have herniated discs at L3-4 and 4-5. Never had surgery because my doctor didn't think they were bad enough, just physical therapy and lumbar epidurals. Pregnancy has surprisingly been kind to my back for the most part, just a few flare-ups lasting around a week. Spoke with someone in the anesthesia department at our hospital and he said the decision to get an epidural in labor is up to me - it could possibly aggravate the discs afterwards, it could not. But labor even without the epidural could do the same thing! Have any of you had a similar situation with either complications after epidural or no complications? I'm thinking since my herniations weren't bad enough for surgery, I'll probably be ok, but I'm curious about other's experiences. Ideally I'll stick it out without one, but I really have no idea how I will tolerate the pain until it happens, as I am a first time mom.  Thanks in advance for your responses :smile:
    My sister is healthy and had major issues after an epidural that lasted months, I'm healthy and had zero issues.  The doctor has told you may or may not, it's always a risk.
    If the anesthesiologist is ok doing an epidural, and you want one, go for it, but there is ALWAYS a risk.  
    If you try for unmedicated and feel the need, dont be down on yourself.