August 2019 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 2/24

Re: Weekly Questions 2/24

• Options
    Prenatal massage or chiropractic alignment?

I’ve had a prenatal massage with a prior pregnancy and it was amazing! But I think I remember the relief was fleeting in a few days to a week. I’ve never had a chiropractic alignment (recently acquired insurance that will cover), so I’m not sure what can even be done during pregnancy, but this mama’s back needs some relief! 

What is your experience?
    Shoukd I try the chiropractor first?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I’ve heard amazing things about the chiro while pregnant. I haven’t done it while pregnant but I’ve been to a chiro before since I’ve always had sacroiliac joint injuries and she was great. I would definitely try it as I think it’ll help more than a massage. If I could go to one, I absolutely would. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    BeauxbatonBeauxbaton member
    edited February 2019
    @thirdtimesacharm2019I do chiro while pregnant and love it. I would do an adjustment, then a massage. Or the other way around. A massage would loosen the muscles which would make adjustments easier.
  • Options
    For those that found out the sex/are planning to find out, did you find out in a fun/cute way? Not so much a whole party, but did you and DH do something special? I think I have officially decided to find out at the anatomy scan, but I kind of want to do something fun with it.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven’t been to a chirp pregnant, but my OB doc last pregnancy adjusted me and it got rid of the awful low back pain I was having for the rest of my pregnancy. It was amazing. I would recommend it. 

• Options
    @EmilyA724 for DD1 we did an elective scan and had the tech write it in a card. Then my husband gave it to his best friend and told her what he wanted done and she then set everything up. So o came home and the living room was covered in white balloons and one of them had a tiny slip of paper in it. So I had to find the one with the paper it in. Once I did I had to unscrabuns the word "sewing room." Then we went to the sewing room and the room was covered in pink fabric. And there were pink flowers on the table and a giant chocolate chip cookie with pink frosting that said "it's a girl!" For the boys we just found out in the office at the ultrasound. For this baby I had the nurse send me a message with the sex of the baby, but me and H just opened it up together while I was in the shower lol. I will say I definitely preferred finding out at home instead of in the office.
  • Options
    @Beauxbaton your DD1 reveal was cute, and that's a super good friend!  We with DD we had the tech put it in an envelope and I wanted to do something cute, but the scan took a lot longer than I was planning and my parents were coming to visit so we opened it up as soon as we got in the car, haha. I'll definitely have them put it in the envelope again, just trying to decide if I want to do something cute with that envelope. My friend had a baby in aug 15 and her mom decorated and hid an Easter basket for them to find, which I thought was cute, but Easter is so late this year.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 for DS we bought a girl putty and a boy outfit,  asked the ultrasound tech to put the "correct' one on top in a box and we opened the box with our parents on a triple skype (we live overseas so it was one of the few things we could really do to share the experience of the pregnancy overall with them)

For this one I've made lips and mustaches on sticks and we are getting the ultrasound tech to put the right one in a decorated "baby is a..." envelope and the wrong one in a reject envelope (haha) so we don't see until a triple skype again. It has been fun finding out at home with our families :)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 I went to my chiro last week and it was super helpful.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    velvetskyyvelvetskyy member
    edited February 2019
    @EmilyA724 we haven't announced yet (I wanted to for V-day but didn't have our results in time) so I am waiting to be out on social media until closer to St Patrick's day (which works out since its my favorite holiday).  I have one of those letter boards and I am going to include an u/s photo and something to indicate sex. maybe a green bow or a hat or something.  I just have to make an appointment for an elective u/s since we won't have ours until 20w.

ETA: Whoops misread your question! lol. We are going to have a friend drive out and get fireworks (pink or blue) and set them off with all our neighborhood friends. Since they told us they wanted something over the top. haha
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Options
    This pregnancy and my last I have gone to the chiropractor every 6 weeks or so due to a prior back issue.  It keeps my back problems in check which I assume may even go haywire during pregnancy. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• Options
    Chiropractor works really well for my mom. She would basically crawl in in pain, and walk out feeling great. I decided to try it  after a car accident (15 years ago). I had always done physio but for some reason this time inusrance would cover chiro but not physio.

Biggest mistake for me ever. I went for several weeks. He kept cracking my neck. I had never had my neck crack in my life before. I would go in feeling ok or slightly sore, and leave in massive amounts of pain with brutal headaches. Now I have permenant damage. My neck cracks a dozen times a day, and is exceedingly painful if I don't. My C1 and C2 vertebre are misalligned. I spend thousands a year on physio now. But if I make a wrong move, or sit the wrong way or sleep the wrong way, I'm screwed. Currently dealing with a massive tension headache for the past 2 days. (Bed rest is not conducive to keeping muscles loose and spine alligned properly).

So personally, I would never ever go back.
    However, I have heard there are chiros who do new practice where they don't do aggressive/violent manipulation.

I have been considering prenatal massage though. But we don't have any coverage for that, and I'm money conscious right now since I'm not cleared to go back to work and don't know when I will be.
  • Options
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 - I do both, but I have a bad back that was exacerbated by my c-section for DD2.  For the chiropractor, I see one who is Webster certified, which means she has undergone additional training to adjust pregnant and post-partum women.  She is a life saver. For massages, I go to a special pregnancy massage center that will see you in your first tri.  Once I get past 17 weeks, I'll go to my normal salon for their prenatal massages! 

@chillycanadian I am so so so sorry to hear about your experience.  I will say that any chiropractor that does not ask you if you are okay with manual adjustments is a big huge red flag.  I personally ask them to use the activator on my neck rather than manual manipulations.  I'm so sorry to hear you've been scared away, but for other considering a chiropractor, please bear in mind what I've said and don't be afraid to speak up!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    Thanks for the chiropractor advice! I have my 16 week appointment tomorrow, so I’m going to see if my OB can recommend someone. 
  • Options
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 I would also ask any local mommy groups if they have recs or search for chiros that do spinning babies or have experience with pregnant women/babies. Not everyone does and it makes a difference

@chillycanadian I'm sorry you had such a bad chiro experience.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Have we talked about wills yet?  Does anyone have any advice on when to put one together (3rd trimester)?  Are any of the online sites worth pursuing, or is it better to just ask one of my lawyer friends?
  • Options
    @becks68 the sooner the better really. Never know when something could happen! 

Our first will was done through legal zoom. It worked out for what we needed, which was just the basic stuff. We are currently procrastinating getting a trust put together but really need to, but that will involve a lawyer because it's now more complicated and we have a ton more assets than when we out the will together. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    Per my OB (If anyone else was considering chiro):

- Safe and effective after first trimester 
    - Harder to get a baseline (if you haven’t been before pregnancy)
    - She suggested a brace for immediate relief, then visit the chiro once my back feels better for a more accurate baseline 
  • Options
    @becks68 Absolutely worth doing, especially on the laws of your state.  For example, where we live, without a will, the person your kids go to might not make logical sense. We had a friend do it pro bono, but I've heard positive things about websites for wills depending on our needs. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @becks68 we went to a lawyer but didn't get around to it till well after the twins arrived. THe upside is the will was flexible enough to account for future children. I think the hardest part was just picking one and making the appointment, after that she brought up some good comments about who would be in charge of the money vs the kids (recommended that they are not the same person...) trusts, when kids have access to the money, back ups for your primary people etc... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @becks68 this is has been in the back of my mind for a while. (since we had that post about lists) thanks for the reminder. 
    @peachy0709 @wabash15 this may be a silly questions, but how do you choose a lawyer? Should I just look for estate planning attorneys? 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    @avrilmai So DH is a lawyer and his best friend at his firm (who is actually a tax lawyer) volunteered to do it for us as part of his pro bono hours. That's how we "chose" ours.  My parents went with an estate planning attorney that was referred to them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Is anyone planning on taking a birthing class? Do any STM+ have any recommendations on the best type(s) of class to take? Thanks!
  • Options
    @avrilmai I don't think we had a specific process..We have a "best of" book each year for our area and I think this firm was one of them, or we googled local firms that did estate planning. Then we picked the one that called us back and was able to schedule an appointment over lunch hours (otherwise DH would have had to take time off work).

@sw1122 it depends a little on what your looking for in a birth experience. if you want to try for an unmediated or less interventions than something like the Bradley method or hypnobirthing are good. Bradley is very partner focused, so your DH would be a big part of the birth process. I know some folks who just watch birth videos on youtube
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @sw1122 for our first I made DH come with me to the class that was offered by the hospital we used. I still have mixed feelings about it. It was 3 classes, (2 evenings and a Sunday, I think 10ish hours total). They talked us through the different stages of labor, how we know when it's time to come to the hospital, and explained different pain management techniques. (breathing, massage, medical options, etc.) They then did the "be prepared" section, which I called the "let's freak out all the new moms" section. It was a list of what could go wrong during labor, and what the options are for dealing with it. Their thought process was that if we are in the minority of people that this happens to we shouldn't be hearing about it for the first time while in labor, and having to make a split decision.
    On the one hand it was good to hear about these things before hand, and not go in with no idea of what to expect, but on the other it was hard to sit through hours of this could go wrong, or this could go wrong.
    I also used a Doula, and part of her package was 2 one hour "prep sessions." She came out to the house, and walked me through some breathing techniques and some positioning. As well as talking through what to expect, and when I should call her.
    The last thing I did to prep was read a book about natural birthing (I was med-free with my first 2, and hope to do the same with this one.) That also walked you through the stages of labor, and what to look for. I'm didn't reread it for my second, but I'm thinking of pulling it out again, since it's been almost 3 years(!) since I read it last.

So this is probably a much longer answer than you expected, but I definitely recommend doing something to familiarize yourself with the process. It's hard because there is no normal, each labor is different (even for the same person, different babies will be different) so you don't want to get to set in this is what's going to happen, but a basic understanding of the general process is helpful. But do a little more research than I did before picking a class, make sure it's one that aligns with what you are hoping to experience. (For example if you already know you want an epidural, don't go to an all natural class, and vice versa)
  • Options
    @sw1122 I took all the classes when pregnant with my first and the class was very very similar to what @mrosek91 describes. The only thing I wish the class I took had covered more of was things like tears and recovery.  Our instructor actually said "I'm not going to cover fourth degree tears because that never happens." Guess who got a fourth degree tear.  I genuinely just wish I even knew what the doctor was talking about when she told me it had happened, but the class didn't want to scare moms more. I also took breastfeeding and swaddling classes for my own peace of mind. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @sw1122 I would definitely recommend checking to see if the hospital where you’re planning to deliver offers classes. Ours did, and the classes were held in a room on the labor & delivery unit, and included a tour - so we felt very comfortable there when it came time to deliver. Also, ours went over what would happen in case of a c-section, which I “pooh-poohed” at the time (convinced that the power of positive thinking would allow me to have a vaginal delivery), and in retrospect was incredibly helpful when I was rushed in for a terrifying emergency c-section. It of course also covered the standard breathing techniques, positioning, etc, and they brought in one of the OB anesthesiologists to talk about the medical pain relief options. Oh - and there was an optional additional class for newborn care...taught us how to swaddle, hold the baby, deal with the “purple period of crying” etc etc and was SUPER helpful. I would highly recommend looking for something like that too!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sw1122 I took all the classes I could the first go around, and I'm glad we did! Depending on if you want a med-free birth or are team epidural from the start will determine which actual birth class you'd like best. We did Bradley classes, which tries to prep for a med-free delivery. There is also hypno-birthing, and most hospitals offer a general class which will tell you about birthing with epidurals & what the hospital's procedures are. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl @aecm @peachy0709 @mrosek91 @wabash15 - thanks for the recommendations!

@mrosek91 - thanks for such a thorough response! Was the list of 'things that could wrong' of problems that frequently arise and that a lot of women experience during childbirth?

@aecm - My doctor wants me to arrange a tour of the hospital and I'll look into whether the hospital offers classes. Thanks for the note about the additional classes - I do think I'd benefit from a breastfeeding and a general newborn care class.
  • Options
    @sw1122 I don't remember exactly what they covered, some of it was stuff almost everyone has to deal with like tearing. But most of it was minority cases, like what poisitons might make them suggest the vacuum, or what may require a C-Section. Different symptoms that could have them suggesting induction, and what that process is. Things like that.