Baby Names

Popularity of name

ella22ella22 member
edited February 2019 in Baby Names
Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the popularity of the name Edward. 

Re: Popularity of name

• ella22 said:
    Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the popularity of the name Edward. 

I thought that due to Twilight movies, the name Edward had become very popular. However, I personally don't know any babies/kids named Edward. I know the name Bella became extremely popular, but not Edward, why do you think that it? Is there anything wrong with that name?

Or perhaps I am wrong about this? Do you know some babies or kids called Edward? How would you describe the name's popularity these days?

Thank you for your help on this!!!

You have multiple posts asking about Edward, middle name for Edward, etc.  

It seems that you like the name - go with it!

Edward is not very popular. I'm my daughter's school of about 400, there is only 1 and he goes be Eddie.  Fits him well.

It's a fine name and will age with him, as he gets older.

• daffodil_shoedaffodil_shoe member
    edited February 2019
    Girl, slow your roll on all the posts about the same name. If you want to look up the popularity of a name, go to the social security website.

Here, I’ll do the work for you:
    https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

• Loading the player...
  • I think it’s a good name especially if you prefer something recognizable but uncommon. I don’t know any kids with the name but one person in his 20s and another in his 30s. Both go by Eddie.

You have posted a lot about it and I think in your first post you’d said it was your husband’s choice and you were not really on board. You have gotten a lot of positive feedback on Edward but you keep wanting more opinions. I wonder if it still doesn’t feel right to you. Listen to your gut. If Edward feels like a good choice you have a lot of people in agreement. If you still can’t picture your son as Edward I think you should use it as the middle. It’s a big decision and you don’t want to feel unsettled every time you say his name. 
  • I am sorry if I disturbed you with my multiple posts... I was just trying to get some advice and help.
  • ella22 said:
    I am sorry if I disturbed you with my multiple posts... I was just trying to get some advice and help.
    Personally I’m not bothered by the multiple posts but it is unusual to ask so much about the same name. While PP thinks it might mean you know you like it and should go with it, I am getting the vibe that you have lingering doubts despite all the positive feedback. It might help to tune into your instincts for a bit, take a break from other opinions, practice saying it out loud (picture saying it while checking in at the Dr’s office, shouting it when you are angry with him, singing songs to him, etc) and see what your gut is saying. 
  • Thanks for your advice. My posts are about separate topics though which have crossed my mind at a later time in the whole naming process which is why I have posted them separately. In any case, I apologize if they are a bother even though this is a baby name forum and I believe I should be able to ask questions without being latched at. But thank you to all and I hope your naming process times will be simple and easy.
  • ella22ella22 member
    edited February 2019
    daffodil_shoe Do you work for The Bump? If not, I believe I have the right to post whatever questions I want. If I bother you with my posts, please simply refrain from clicking on them in the future LOL. And please, do save your precious time rather than doing "the work" for me since your reply was not helpful at all! My question was about getting people's real life events regarding babies or kids they know named Edward and wanted to hear about that, not from the official social security website, lol.
  • ella22 said:
    daffodil_shoe Do you work for The Bump? If not, I believe I have the right to post whatever questions I want. If I bother you with my posts, please simply refrain from clicking on them in the future LOL. And please, do save your precious time rather than doing "the work" for me since your reply was not helpful at all! My question was about getting people's real life events regarding babies or kids they know named Edward and wanted to hear about that, not from the official social security website, lol.
    I literally gave you actual facts on how popular the name is. And you’re right, you can keep making new posts about the same name. But notice how few people are responding? It’s cuz it’s getting old.

Calm ya tits.
  • I do not think Edward is that popular, I also feel you could certainly have posted many of your threads under the same one because as @daffodil_shoe said it's getting old.
  • Edward is timeless. I don't know any little boys with the name. Edward is my sons middle name. I LOVE the nn Teddy/Ted for the name Edward. You could also use Eddie/Ed and the name Ward. 
     Don't feel bad about talking it out on here. That's what this board is for, especially if you are not sharing names with friends and families.