April 2019 Moms

Randoms w/o 2/25

Re: Randoms w/o 2/25

• My random for the day: Is it getting harder for anyone else to pee in a cup at your appt? I swear the bigger I get the more challenging it gets. By the time I am done with the process I am worn out lol! 
  • @jayhawkmom4 I feel like I have hardly had to do that this pregnancy. My last one I did it every appointment and I had so many extra ones. This time I’ve done it at like 2 appointments? 

The differences in care this pregnancy vs my last are crazy. And it’s not like I’ve had a lot more or less issues in one vs the other. Last time it felt a lot more nerve wracking and like something was going to go wrong any second though. This time they are much more chill and if things look good they are just going with it. 

Its just odd. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @jayhawkmom4 umm yes. I basically peed all over my hand yesterday. 

Also, my BP was edging up again yesterday :/ Still within reasonable bounds so I'm not that worried right now. But the nurse said something TOTALLY wrong about it, which annoyed both me and my husband because it was just so factually inaccurate. I was at 124/80, and she goes "oh that's high for you I know, but 120/80 is perfect from our perspective!" Ummm 120/80 is not perfect. It is the maximum blood pressure reading for the "normal" range, anything above that is considered pre-hypertension. So basically, she's just giving medical misinformation *insert eye roll emoji* 
  • @professormama My nurse was the same.  My BP at my last appointment was 128/86 or something and the nurse was like "Oh that's great!"  Um what.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mermaidca I have so much respect for nurses and the work they do, they're definitely undervalued and underpaid. But they aren't always up to date on medical information since they aren't actually doctors, so I feel like most of the time they should leave the diagnosis-y type comments to the doctor. It gripes me when they make offhanded comments like that because it's spreading misinformation, and they wield a lot of respect and authority - so for a lot of people, they're going to take the nurses word as truth, when the nurse was actually not correctly informed! It's just a pet peeve of mine. 
  • @thatbaintforbetty It is so interesting how different care is. My doctors office still has us pee in a cup every single appointment. It is the most annoying part for me so I wish we didn't have to do it. Yesterday I just went in for the BPP so I was excited I didn't have to! :) 
  • I agree @professormama.  I know nurses do the bulk of the work and they are very knowledgeable but for sure, should not be making calls whether things are "good" or not. My sister and mom are both x-ray techs and even if they take a picture and can clearly see a broken bone they can't say anything because they are not doctors!!!  I see it as a cover your ass sort of moment.  Why say something just for a doctor to potentially contradict you?  Or like you said, spread misinformation.
  • @professormama I totally agree! My BP was about the same as yours and the nurse told me that since it had "spiked" we have to watch it really closely. I had a breakdown while I was waiting for the midwife and she was totally unconcerned and said it had not spiked, that it was just a teensy bit higher than it usually is and the same as it was at my 20 week appointment. I wish the nurse just hadn't said anything!

And yes @jayhawkmom4 I peed on my hand last time. I can't even see the cup and it's small anyway!
  • @rennie1108 I'm so sorry she caused you panic! Offhanded comments like that can cause real anxiety, or alternatively, inaccurate over confidence. Especially because that 120/80 BP we all seem to be experiencing right now is basically just marginal. It's not great and it's not terrible. I'm glad your midwife was able to reassure you and you didn't have to go home with that (unjustified) feeling of fear and dread. 
  • Ladies! Ask for a hat for the toilet to catch your pee! Less on the hands for sure.

BTW - I got the butt swab today. He kept saying vaginal swab, so I was like SWEET maybe he'll leave my butt. Nope. He does the vaginal one and then goes, oh and now for the bottom! Welp ok. Thanks for the 30 second warning ha. But it was easy peasy.
  • @professormama Yes, I definitely think my midwife is more relaxed about it than I am, but maybe she's trying to make me less anxious so my BP goes down?!
  • professormamaprofessormama member
    edited February 2019
    @rennie1108 - let me qualify this by saying I'M NOT THAT KIND OF DOCTOR. But... my husband used to work in medical research, and I do have a research background as well. So I'd say I have an informed-lay-person perspective on this. My understanding about blood pressure readings is that they're only so accurate in terms of getting a picture of your overall health. Each reading is a discrete / one time glimpse in to what's going on in your body. So, you could have a reading of 110 / 70 one day, and a reading of 120 / 80 the next day, and it might mean that you had too much caffeine, or it might mean your blood pressure is increasing and it's something to be worried about - but a one time increase like that can't really tell us much because we don't know which it was - is it an increase that's going to be recurring, or was it stress / caffeine / etc.?  That's one reason why in order to be considered officially a hypertension diagnosis, you have to get two high readings at least 6 hours apart (at least, best practice). Further, a lot of nurses / doctors don't follow actual procedure when taking blood pressure. Technically you're supposed to be sitting still, calm, and quiet for a minimum of 5 minutes before anyone takes your blood pressure. But, for instance, at my doctors office the nurse always walks me into the room, immediately takes my weight, then takes my blood pressure. That means i've been moving around before taking the reading, which elevates it slightly. So there are a lot of different factors that go into a single blood pressure reading. I do worry when mine starts getting over 120/80, but I also know logically that it's not necessarily an indicator that anything is wrong. 
  • @MRDCle what do you mean by ask for a hat?

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll bring nitrile gloves to my next appointment. I have a ton at home. I'm not able to see the cup anymore either and my ob has patients do it at every prenatal appointment.
  • @professormama That makes sense, and that's how they do it at my doctor's office as well. I think the best thing I can do is just not stress about it. At this point, we're seeing the doc every 1-2 weeks so at least if something is wrong they can address is fairly quickly. I just want LO to bake as long as possible, even though I'm miserable!
  • I have white-coat hypertension on top of prehyptension, so there were high fives yesterday when my bp was 126 / 86 on the first reading... From my at home monitoring I’ve seen what a difference 5 minutes of rest can make, but that best practice is not usually folllowed unless the first reading is overly high

Also I think I’ve peed in a cup maybe twice and the last time was probably around 16 weeks. I imagine it’s much harder now with the belly
  • @mighty_montgomeryhttps://www.vitalitymedical.com/kendall-specimen-collection-hat.html

Chances are they have them at the office - it's just a little plastic insert to put in the toilet that you would pee in. The only thing would be peeing a little, THEN putting it in to catch so you get that clean catch. Worth an ask! Then you just dump some in the cup (they have a little indent spout for pouring) and dump the rest in the toilet.
  • @MRDCle All I can picture is a toilet wearing a tiny bowler hat and it makes me lol. I have never heard of such a thing as a toilet hat. 

re: peeing in a cup- my OB requires it at every appointment. I used to be a Potty-UFO, just hovering over every public toilet, but since this pregnancy, I've had to paper and sit. The toilet actually groaned under my weight during the last appointment, but I have yet to pee on my hand! 
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
  • BP: I was excited mine was108/60 today. With my weird vision episode last week I’ve been worried about pre-e again.

Peeing in cup: I had to do it twice today and definitly got a little on my hand lol. I just laughed to myself, and washed my hands. Also this is my third pregnancy and I’ve always had to pee in a cup at every appointment 
  • @cabearit I wasn't familiar until I had to use one to catch all my pee for 24 hours in the beginning of this pregnancy.
  • Since it is not a clean catch I think I am going to sneak a bigger cup in and then just pour it into the small one- hee hee. I just need a bigger target I think lol! 

Never heard of a hat but the image makes me laugh! 
  • +1 on the pregsomnia last night. I can't stand trying to rest in hospitals, the room was too hot and I had to ask them to crank the A/C, then it's vitals every 2 hours, then I need to do monitoring/antibiotic drip/non-contraction medication and that lasts an hour. I was so exhausted this morning. One night down and one to go then it's basically monitoring twice a day until I go into labor on my own.

I got lucky and haven't had to pee in a cup this pregnancy but I always asked for a bigger cup when I was in my third trimester because I lose sight of everything south of the belly lol.

• I've had to pee in a cup every appointment so far.  The funny part for me is that every time we go, DS asks why I'm catching my pee.  :lol:

I had my hospital tour this morning and almost had an anxiety attack realizing how close it is to "go time."  I guess in theory it could be any day now, although I hope he stays in there a few more weeks obviously.  Fingers crossed for @MRDCle and @angelob88!  Reading your updates makes it so much more real to me that we'll have our babes outside of the womb so soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I couldn't find a thread for this (or I just completely missed it, feel free to link if I did), so I figured I could ask here.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a baby swing? 
  • cabearitcabearit member
    edited February 2019
    @gollygeeitsamy My BFF had her son a year ago and said this one saved her sanity. 
    ETA: Link isn't working. It's the Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle 'n Swing.

• Well I cancelled all my meetings and appointments for the day with the intention of staying home, taking it easy, and napping since I got zero sleep last night. But apparently sleep just isn't my thing anymore? At least I'm getting lots of work done with an entire day cleared... 
  • @professormama Yay for getting work done!
    I feel guilty because my maternity leave started a week early since I am sick and I'm pretty sure there are things DH wants me to do around the house that he hasn't asked me to, and I definitely accomplished nothing today besides a long walk. But I got my 10,000 steps in!
    Is anyone else feeling sharp stabbing pains in the cervix that only last like a second each time? Yeah, those are wonderful 😧
  • @mighty_montgomery that kind of sounds like lightning crotch.
  • @mighty_montgomery Yes to cervix pain!  Such a weird feeling.  I've always heard the term lightning crotch and not too pleased I get to experience it haha.
  • @MRDCle We will all be thinking of you, especially Thursday morning!!!!!
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited February 2019
    Well, it’s official. I’m only able to take 6 weeks of leave if I want to keep my job. Unfortunately, due to my health, two weeks of my leave will be before my due date. So if she comes late... I could have only 3 weeks with her. I can’t even imagine. I just can’t get over it. I know I’m not the only one, I know it’s a very VERY common struggle, but it just hurts my heart and no one seems to understand. I’ve tried to be optimistic, but people keep saying it’s “not that bad”. Particularly moms I know who never even went back to work after their babies were born. I can’t think about anything else. I feel like all of my motivation and joy has been sucked out of me today. I hope I can go back to being positive about this soon, but I just don’t know. 
  • @lilpotatomama no advice, just hugs. That totally blows.
  • @lyse01 thank you. ❤️ Trying not to throw myself a pity party, but I already downed one sleeve of thin mints and I’m eyeing the other. 
  • @MRDCle eeee good luck! I know it's scary, but I'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the best. 

@lilpotatomama I think you deserve a pity party. It is ridiculously sh*tty that you have to go back that quickly, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Do you absolutely have to go back full time? Is there any way to go back part time? Such a freaking terrible position to be in. 
  •  lilpotatomama said:
    Well, it’s official. I’m only able to take 6 weeks of leave if I want to keep my job. Unfortunately, due to my health, two weeks of my leave will be before my due date. So if she comes late... I could have only 3 weeks with her. I can’t even imagine. I just can’t get over it. I know I’m not the only one, I know it’s a very VERY common struggle, but it just hurts my heart and no one seems to understand. I’ve tried to be optimistic, but people keep saying it’s “not that bad”. Particularly moms I know who never even went back to work after their babies were born. I can’t think about anything else. I feel like all of my motivation and joy has been sucked out of me today. I hope I can go back to being positive about this soon, but I just don’t know. 
    No, I'd say that's very unreasonable and totally understandable to feel crushed by those circumstances. Your feelings are valid and I would definitely not feel okay with just 3 or 4 weeks with my baby. I wouldn't know how tp be positive either.
  • @lilpotatomama I am SO sorry! That f'n sucks. I would be extremely upset as well, so go on and eat those thin mints if it makes you feel even a tad better! Does your DH get any parental leave?

@kayceebaby1 Sorry, but that is pretty damn funny....after realizing it wasn't your water breaking! I'm so damn sweaty all of the time now!
  • @lilpotatomama You have every right to be upset about that and i’m so sorry you are in this position. Its absolutely ridiculous that we have such shitty maternity leave policies. I think I remember you saying you only had to go back one day a week at first? Is that still an option? It’s not ideal but better then going back full time. Can you postpone going back to full time longer by only working part time or one day a week for a couple weeks/months? 

I think you definitely deserve a pity party as well. I know I’d do the same. 

this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • That’s absolute shit @lilpotatomama. I’m sorry. Pity party/vent do whatever you need to. Let us know if you want help brainstorming an alternative for after she comes. 
  • Ditto everyone @lilpotatomama and hugs. I would feel crushed as well. Eat all the thin mints, you want. That is a crap situation. 

@kayceebaby1 I'm sure I would have done the same, but that is so damn funny  :D