September 2019 Moms

Baby Names!

Re: Baby Names!

• I love the name Jackson for a boy. MH is meh on it. If baby is a boy and we can’t agree on anything, I’ll totally pull the uterus card. He doesn’t totally hate it but he’s also not putting anything forward. 

I think ink our girl name is Amelia. Not sure on a middle name but I want it to start with a J. 
  • I have absolutely no idea what to name this child. I had a nme forever for my daughter. And now um sorry kid ha.
  • Loading the player...
  • @calliah our top girl name as of now is also Amelia. Girl names have been the hardest to come up with!
  • I’m due 9/4 w baby #3, doing the genetic testing this week bcuz I’ll be 35 a week before baby is due. 

Ive liked the name Elliot for a girl but hubby doesn’t like it... Taylor is also on the list but not my favorite.. I have 2 boys. The first one I had to pray for a name because he liked nothing I liked. The second one didn’t have a name until he was 2 days old but it was always number one on the list. This time I’m not really sure for a boy. I’ve always liked Dominic though! 
  • Any middle name suggestions for Rosslin? 
  • @duewithpu2 we love family names for a middle name. Any names of grandparents etc. that night go nicely? 
  • @septoctkids unfortunately we definitely don’t have any cute family names go with. I am at a loss!
  • Are you using it as a girl name or boy
  • That’s what I figured, but just wanted to check before I gave a girl middle name! Lol Rosslin Joy sounds pretty! 
  • @septoctkids we use family names as middle too!

@duewithpu2 Rosslin: Joy, Rose, Raye, Grace (Not sure why, but I like one syllable names with it :) )

@mia8263 Elliot is the main female in Scrubs, I think it’s a cool girl name!

Funny cuz we’re actually set on Elliott for a boy, but can’t agree on a girl.
    I’ve had a word doc of baby names that I’ve loved since I was 12(yes I was obsessed with kids and thought I’d have 10 some day haha!) but we haven’t used any of them.
    DD is Brooklynne (my middle name is Lynne) & DS is Silas.
    My husband’s top girl names are Brielle & Aleah (I have sisters Leah & Allie, so I think Aleah is too much of a combo haha)
    My top girl names are Katherine(Kate), Elizabeth(Ellie), & Abigail(Abby) ...definitely more traditional than DH. I have about 20 girl names I really like though...just not sure about DH’s.
    Oh, I’m also kinda set on if baby is a girl, for her middle name to be Joy because I thought I was done having kids a year ago, but then something changed in me and while hoping & praying for this pregnancy, I’ve had so much joy surrounding it.
  • @mia8263 My niece's name is Eliette, I love it!! Perhaps your husband would be more open to a more feminine spelling than the more traditional? 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • @mia8263 Elliot was one of my top picks for our last girl but I got shut down.

I have a Brynn Elizabeth, Reagan Anne, Blake Adalyn and Sloane Katherine.  We lean toward nontypical first names paired with feminine middle names.  And only make girls.

For this babe, we have discussed Austin or Tucker as a first name for a boy (which we won't have, as we only make girls).  Middle would be Patrick in any case - both of our families always does dad's middle name as son's middle name.  We have tossed around Parker for a girl, or Isla.  No plan on middle yet for either.
  • @sahm89 Just for the record I love all 3 of your traditional girl names. They are classic and beautiful.  :)
  • We are having a boy... so we desperately need to find a name we both like. 

We have::
    owen
    alexander
    elliot
    silas

im hoping for something LESS common,  but we are really struggling to find something we both like. 
    I just want something unique that is not from a fantasy novel!! Lol (hubs is a huge nerd and keeps suggesting hobbit names and elven names, geez!)
  • @moxyligeia lol at hobbit names!
    I have a Silas who’s 3 now(and the sweetest boy ever) & we love it because it’s not super popular, but a lot of people in our circles know the name from the Bible, so they know how to pronounce it & don’t think it’s totally strange. :) it means “man of the forest” so I had fun playing off of that with his nursery decor..but we named him after the Silas in the Bible who was fearless when he was wrongly thrown into prison, sang to God while there, & God caused an earthquake so he could get free. :)
  • @sahm89 is Silas often mispronounced? It seemed like such an obvious pronunciation to me that I took to Google to confirm, but I had it right! 
  • @kiddiesandkitties if ppl aren’t familiar with the name, I’ve had a lot of ppl think I’m saying Cyrus...like Billy Ray haha :)
  • @sahm89 oh heck. I have a Brynn and everyone says 'Bryan'. <eyeroll>. And a Reagan (like, president) and everyone says REEEEGAN.  And and Blake. Which is a girl. So. :/ 
  • @kiddiesandkitties psh, people. <eyeroll>  I have the #1 1989 girls name, and had so many other Jessica’s in my class. Hopefully our kids appreciate their uniqueness. :)
  • I have a unique name (Lily is a nickname) and I absolutely hated it growing up.  Love it now, but oh how I longed to be Susan or Jennifer or anything familiar to others growing up.  I think now names are much more diverse though so I don't think kids will necessarily have that same experience versus when I was a kid.  Having said that I have no idea which way we are going with #3.  Waiting for the gender first before we really start making a list.  I think my husband and I are going to struggle agreeing on a name.
  • @kiddiesandkitties I have a Raegan too! I am amazed how often her name is mispronounced….I truly didn't think it was that difficult
  • @lillywonderland LOLOLOL I LOVE this.  
  • @lillywonderland that makes me LOL so hard. I swore to my children I would only give them normal names with regular spellings so they don't have to go through life sighing heavily every time someone says their name or spells it. 

I am seriously feeling murdery toward H about names already. He is just so unhelpful and always shoots down my suggestions without even considering them and then never suggests any himself. I want to throat punch him. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @zuuls_mom That sucks RE: YH's unhelpfulness on the naming front.  DH and I decided on all baby names last go 'round, so we already have our two name options locked and loaded.  But then, out of nowhere the other day, he goes, "well, you know, unless we decide the name doesn't fit once we find out the sex."  I was like, ummm, what?  I can see saying that about meeting the baby, but after finding out the sex at 13 weeks?!  We have a name for each sex (a traditional, normally-spelled name for each).  
  • @zuuls_mom my H was totally like that. Would say he was 'actively making an effort to talk about it' but then only suggest joking names. Like 'let's call it PANCAKE!'. Yeah, you're really trying here, pal.

Have you tried the app Babyname? It's sort of like Tinder for names. You and DH both download it and then it 'links you together'. You (separately) swipe left or right on the names, and it makes you a list of matches for the names you both swiped yes on. You have to weed through A LOT of bad (like, painfully bad), but it's helped us ultimately come up with solid lists.  And it's easy to just mindlessly do while you're watching TV at night etc.
  • @mamaber2204 I am SO jealous! He just doesn't like talking about that kind of thing and so then I get attached to a name and then when I finally tell him about it he makes a face and says absolutely not. It's just really frustrating. I really hope it's not as hard as it was to name DS (literally didn't have a name until 4 days before he was born) and it caused so many stupid fights! 
    *TW*
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @kiddiesandkitties H only thinks of joke names too! Infuriating. I have asked him to download the Babyname app, but he's a pain in the ass and refuses. He wants to just come up with one normally. But again, doesn't contribute. Infuriating X100. 
    *TW*
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16

• ternsetcternsetc member
    edited March 2019
    I used to have a coworker who kept a list of names she encountered that she felt were over the top (most of them made the list based entirely on spelling) - this was ages ago, and still when I see names I think about whether or not they'd make her list :D
    ETA: that said, I worked in scheduling for a while and all kinds of names have a couple very common spellings which means asking how to spell them (Katherine vs Catherine, May vs Mae), and some are just easy to mishear, and some are less common so people don't know how to spell them but it's not like they aren't established names (I knew a Michaela who had to spell and pronounce that for so many more people than I would have thought), so I wouldn't say the idea of giving a kid a name they have to spell (or pronounce) for people is immediately off putting to me. I had to spell and pronounce my last name for people constantly until I married, and have gotten into the habit of spelling my (common) first name to avoid the occasional error.
  • We're Team Green and I honestly have no freaking clue. We keep joking that once the baby comes out were gonna do a facebook poll. lol My daughter is Avery and I got that from watching Real World when I was like 7 months pregnant haha. I have always loved Preston but my husband and whole family hates it. 
  • We had a boys name picked but we are having a girl lol We want to honor FIL who recently passed away. His name was William so we are considering Willa. But DD has a Willa in her prek class. Is that weird? It's a fairly small town so they will be together a lot in school. 
  • @mommyshark13 I don't think that is weird. Willa has become increasingly popular since Thomas Rhett & his wife named their daughter that. If you like it (and its adorable!) go for it! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • @mommyshark13 I agree with @MsBeachNJ not weird and a very sweet feminine version of your FIL’s name. :)
  • @MsBeachNJ and @sahm89 Thank you :) I think it goes well with our subset too. DS is Phillip and DD is Gemma.  

The other names on our list are Savannah, Isabelle, Adelaide, Charlotte.
  • @sahm89 I have loved Silas since I first heard it!
  • @mommyshark13 I love that your DD's name is Gemma. That is our top girl name. Do you have problems with people pronouncing it ever? I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but I'm worried about people saying guhema (I'm not sure how to spell what I'm thinking haha).  We also have Willa on our list. My grandma's name is Wilma, so it is a take on that. So basically I love your naming style :)

• I’m so frustrated with names. I had a name picked out for a girl, and knew I’d be so stuck to think of another boy name.

Every name that I love, sounds HORRIBLE with our last name! I’ll get excited and then say the whole thing, and pretty much choke on it. I got nothin’. 
  • @kgg2241 Thank you! It occasionally gets mispronounced but not too often. Sometimes people ask how to pronounce it first. Also, she occasionally gets called "Jenna" or people spell it "Jemma" but again, not too often. I obviously love her name and would absolutely recommend  it :)
  • @mommyshark13 I'm joining the it wouldn't be weird chorus - even if your DD and the Willa in her class go through all of school together I don't think it would be weird. And it's a distant enough connection I wouldn't take it too much into account, since the other family could move and then it would suck to have ruled out the name just based on that. If you are close to the other family I still don't think it would be weird, but might be inclined to mention it to them if you decide to choose it (not to get their opinion, just to let them know), but if not close to them just go for it - it's such a pretty name and a sweet way to honor your FIL!
    @blitzybee it's so hard! With DS we agreed on so few boy names to begin with and then ruled out a couple based on how they sounded with the last name, and a few more based on google results, it was such a struggle!