August 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Movie Edition

its Oscars week - a great week to discuss all things ‘Movies’

so what’s new your favorite film of all time? Are you an Oscar watcher? Any favorites in the running this year? Favorite film genre? 

And props to a pregnant Oscar winner

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: Movie Edition

• Options
    My all time favorite movie is The Sound of Music. I grew up watching it visiting Salzburg and getting to see all of the locations was magical. I’m hoping my daughter loves it as much as I do and I can take her one day.

Im a big movie buff. I took several film courses in college for fun and the Oscars is on my to watch list yearly. Admittedly, since having kids I have not been as good about seeing all of the contenders in recent years as they normally aren’t released out of theatres in time but we did just watch Free Solo which is up for best documentary and I thought it was really good - that dude is bananas - probably one of the greatest human achievements ever.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    It's so hard to pick a favorite... Also, I don't think I've seen anything made in the last 5 years. On the rare occasions that DH and I get a movie night, we usually try and watch a movie that one of us really enjoyed and the other hasn't seen yet.

I think if really had to pick I would pick 1776, I know it's not super historically accurate, but I like to think it's educational, and it has really great lines, and amazing songs. It is also the one movie I put at the top of the list every movie night, and it has yet to be picked...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my friends hosts an Oscars party every year, so I always look forward to that. I’ve been terrible this go around at seeing nominated movies. I think I’ve only seen Black Panther and the RBG documentary. We always have a themed fish competition so this year I’m bringing “Vice Cream Sandwiches.” I’ve won previously with “The Big Short Ribs.”

My favorite movies of all time are Annie and Space Camp (I used (still??) want to be an astronaut.)
  • Options
    I'm not a big movie watcher & have never seen the Oscars! My favorite all time movie is A Walk In the Clouds. It's an oldie but a goodie with Keanu Reeves. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    GOAT movie? Man, that's tough! I couldn't pick one favorite, but a couple standouts are Love Actually and True Romance. 

Not a big Oscar watcher here. Most of the time I haven't gotten around to seeing all the nominations, so it doesn't mean much to me! 
  • Options
    I don't watch the Oscars. When someone asks what my favorite movie is I always say Grease. My mom bought it on VHS for me for my 9th birthday along with a Spice Girl cassette.

But I truly do love movies and going to the movies. I really enjoy documentaries, and comedies, and rom coms, superhero movies, musicals. Really the only things I don't watch is the whole horror/suspense/thriller genre. I have an overactive imagination and high anxiety, so scary stuff sticks with me FOREVER.

@ElcaB I also love Love Actually. It's definitely up there on my list. 
  • Options
    My all-time favorite movie is Jurassic Park. I am a HUGE movie buff. I love the Oscars, but we don’t have TV — just streaming services — so I haven’t watched in years. The only best picture-nominated film I’ve seen is Black Panther.

Before we had kids, we would see probably a movie a week. Now we are so painfully behind it’s not even funny. 
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My favorite movie is Empire Records. 
    I don't care about the Oscars (or any big awards ceremonies for that matter) amd I haven't been to the movies in years. There's just not a lot that comes out that I'm like "oooh, I have to see that!"
    I like dark comedies. 
  • Options
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (original)

I’ve not seen the Oscars in many years and I’m not really up on current movies. I usually watch the first half and fall asleep. 
  • Options
    I love going to movies but not a big Oscars watcher. I love musicals though and my favorite movies are Rent, The Greatest Showman and The Last Five Years
  • Options
    I think the Life Aquatic might be my favorite movie. I've never really watched the pacers but this year I've seen Black Panther and BlacKkKlansman. I'd like to see Roma too. 
  • Options
    My favorite of all time is The Greatest Showman. We alkost bought tickets to the Hugh Jackman tour but it's within 4 weeks of my due date and a few hours away, so no go. We saw it 7 times in theaters and bought the sound track after the first time lol. DD1 still has the CD in her room and it plays every night. I even watched some of it today while walking on a treadmill. DDs 4th birthday party was Greatest Showman themed. Yeah, we're obsessed. 

I'm not a huge movie person. We generally wait for them to come out on Netflix or Amazon. But we always go see Star Wars in theaters (DD2s nursery is star wars).  

No idea what movies apply to the Oscars cuz we don't have TV and I'm out of touch. I probably haven't seen much of anything.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    peachy0709peachy0709 member
    edited February 2019
    My favorite movie of all time is Forrest Gump.

I use to love watching the Oscar movies and the Oscars, and then we had kids.   :D

Edited because I somehow hit post before I was ready! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @peachy0709 same! I think we've seen 3 movies in theatres since DD was born--and most/all were Star Wars related.  I enjoy the Oscars for the clothes and sometimes the best song performances.

I've got a wide range of favorites--The Other Guys always cheers me up, I love Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, the Goonies, White Christmas and I think my favorite "serious" movie is Gosford Park.