October 2019 Moms

Pregnant nurses!! Post here!

I'm a nurse who works 12 hour shifts both nights and days sometimes upto 60 hrs a week! How are my fellow nurses dealing with the challenges of pregnancy? I'm 6 weeks and haven't told my coworkers yet

Re: Pregnant nurses!! Post here!

• Hey!
    Not a nurse :) I'm a teacher. 

But you may want to change your screen name...it will be a lot easier for people to recognize you and get to know you. There should be a link to a description in the Read First post above. :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm suffering through it. Especially in isolation rooms, being exhausted, ect. I just about lost it when I had a lady who was physically aggressive post abortion (she bled out and was in DIC needed ICU) she kicked me in the stomach the day after I found out I was pregnant. I have no clue when I'm going to tell work but I think I'm going to tell them on the earlier side 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not currently a nurse but was with my first. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I told my boss and some co-workers as soon as I had an ultrasound confirm. I did not want to be in an avoidable risky situation if possible. I also wouldn’t have made it long as a secret because my nausea prevented me from assisting with wounds(I almost passed out) which was my favorite task. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I am a Labor and Delivery Nurse.  I haven't told any coworkers yet either.  12 hour shifts have been rough and this just the beginning!!!
    BFP#4: 2/2/19, EDD 10/8/19
    BFP#3: 9/4/11, EDD 5/13/12, DD Born 5/14/12
    BFP#2: 5/8/11, EDD 1/24/12 missed mc 
    BFP#1: 1/24/10, EDD 9/24/10, DD Born 9/25/10
  • I am a Labor and Delivery Nurse.  I haven't told any coworkers yet either.  12 hour shifts have been rough and this just the beginning!!!
    Wow! How does being an L&D nurse impact your thoughts about your own pregnancy/labor? (If you don't mind my asking, lol.) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I worked in the ICU during my first pregnancy. It was exhausting. Now, I'm in CRNA school. Its gonna be just as exhausting I'm sure. I've already had to tell a few of my preceptors. One was super cool, she let me leave the room during total knees during the cement and just come back when they're done. Trying not to be nervous from all the xray exposure and just being super cautious about taking the right precautions. I know there's rad techs, etc that are exposed a lot more than I am and it's safe as long as you're doing what you're supposed to.
  • aprosch said:
     Trying not to be nervous from all the xray exposure and just being super cautious about taking the right precautions. I know there's rad techs, etc that are exposed a lot more than I am and it's safe as long as you're doing what you're supposed to.
    This is my field. The regs are you are allowed to have 500mrem per the course of your pregnancy. The rule of thumb is 50 mrem/month. Unless you do fluoro or IR, you’re not going to see even close to those numbers. 

There is no evidence of any increased risks or problems at these levels. 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • alinic916alinic916 member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks! I've done a ton of research and asked around and yes, the other CRNAs say try to avoid fluoro/IR as much as possible, but other than that it's fine. The other big thing is bone cement for total joints. So I've been in rooms with xray, but like one day we didn't know they were planning xray and I didn't have lead, so i just stepped out of the room when it was time since it was only like 2 shots. 
    It's a tough spot as a student because I don't want to refuse cases, but there's plenty of other rooms for me to be in so hoping it won't be an issue.
  • @aprosch I hope my initial post didn’t sound too harsh or try to downplay your fears or worries- I’m a very fact based person and tend to not try to lessen the blow of that info, especially around this stuff.

when you are ready and choose so (it’s voluntary- you don’t have to do this though I find some employers try to force it) there should be a process in place to declare. What they do is just back calculate to the start of your pregnancy and adjust what your exposure for the remainder can be
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @cmbt2 not harsh at all! i appreciate your input.
  • wanderlostwanderlost member
    edited February 2019
    Anyone else feeling like our job is way harder than it was 8 weeks ago? I seriously cried during a code brown last night just feeling so sorry for myself. 

I just transferred to a new hospital but still doing trauma ICU and the patient population is getting to me. It never had before and now I'm so over people. Granted most of our pts at my new job are +meth and homeless, so that is new, and a lot of territory comes with that. I'm just tired of nursing right now. I tired of working my ass off and being away from family, and feeling like I put up with so much stuff and most days I don't even hear a 'thank you'. 

Anyone else feeling a bit extra emotional at work?
  • lindseyg1015lindseyg1015 member
    edited February 2019
    I’m a labor and delivery nurse, and worked postpartum. A lot of my co-workers already know because we’re not supposed to handle induction meds while pregnant, so no one can keep the secret for very long. I work full time with 12 hr shifts but I’m hoping this pregnancy will be easier since I’m on days now.