July 2019 Moms
Options

Sleeping on stomach?

Im a stomach sleeper and almost 21 weeks. I don’t have much of a belly yet and it is still somewhat comfortable to sleep on my stomach.....anyone else still on their stomach? I haven’t been told not to by my dr yet. I will ask about it at my next appt though. 

Re: Sleeping on stomach?

• Options
    Im a stomach sleeper and almost 21 weeks. I don’t have much of a belly yet and it is still somewhat comfortable to sleep on my stomach.....anyone else still on their stomach? I haven’t been told not to by my dr yet. I will ask about it at my next appt though. 
    It can become pretty uncomfortable but also it compresses the vena cava in the same way that sleeping on your back does. It's not recommended at all but there are pregnancy pillows out there that are for sleeping on your back with a hole cut-out for the belly. I found that sleeping on my side, with a long pillow in front of me to drape over, my top leg on the pillow, with my bottom leg straight on the bed gives a similar feel to stomach sleeping. 

Also, would you mind changing your screen name? It's hard to get to know fellow users with the randomized knottie names. You can do that over at The Knot, then log out and back in again at The Bump to see the changes. 
  • Options
    My doctor told me to transition to sleeping on my side (left if possible) at week 16. If you put pressure on the baby, it can push them up against your Vena Cava (same as the gravity weight of the baby ending up on the vein when you are on your back). This cuts off circulation to your placenta which can limit the oxygen that the baby gets from you. Limits blood flow to your legs and can affect blood flow in and around your heart, lungs, and brain which will mean that you don't feel good, either. 

Also, if you are planning on joining us long term here in the bump club, please see the pinned post for Knottie users on how to change your username. That way, we can get to know you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a back sleeper and my dr also told me at around 16 weeks to switch to my side.  It has been surprisingly pretty easy since I utilize pillows in the front to hold onto like @mamanbebe was mentioning.  I didnt need to buy an expensive pregnancy pillow just a large body pillow seemed to do the trick for me.  Good luck
  • Options
    I’m a stomach sleeper too and at 20 weeks. I now sleep on my left side with a body pillow and  sometimes end up in a half stomach half side position. There will come a point where it is pretty much impossible and not comfortable at all.

• Options
    I would think back sleeping is more dangerous, and stomach sleeping is just uncomfortable. But I suppose doing it every night isn't a good thing! Just a little warning if you're a FTM and planning to breastfeed, stomach sleeping is going to have to stop. Not only is it painful, but it can actually be bad for milk production too.
  • Options
    Thanks all . Hadn’t even thought about the breastfeeding / stomach sleeping. I am a FTM so lots to learn! (I also figured out how to change my profile name.)
  • Options
    Yay, @rhodyrobin . Nice to meet you! 
  • Options
    Stomach sleeper here too! I love the snoogle or a similar pillow. I use it to prop on side and fit my belly in the little space it creates.
  • Options
    I kinda use a bended leg to keep pressure off my tummy and lay in a side/stomach position. 
  • Options
    I kinda use a bended leg to keep pressure off my tummy and lay in a side/stomach position. 
    Same here.

And it is true about positions cutting off blood supply but I also want to throw in that you will feel it, it will affect you too. My fingers and arms would get tingly, like when they fall asleep. You won't just cut off your blood supply to baby and not know it! You will know what I mean when you get further along... you will feel the difference when you lay on your back for several minutes. 

If you roll over in your sleep and it is affecting your blood supply, your body will naturally get you in a better position. Just dont want anyone to worry!
    Pregnancy Ticker