April 2019 Moms

Week 1 Check in w/o 2/11

Due date: 

Any appointments? Questions? 

Rants/Raves? 

How are you feeling? 

Did you do anything to prep for baby this week? 

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have?

Re: Week 1 Check in w/o 2/11

• Due 4.2

Any appointments? No

Questions? Can GD and PreE be prevented by diet and excercise? Or can it happen regardless? With less than 2 months left, I want to make sure I don't develop complications if I can influence the chances. A full-term delivery when baby is ready is preferred 🤞

Rants:

Raves: our friends were very generous with our shower. I made 3 servings of a chili crockpot meal and it was almost all eaten. Guests went through 10 dozen baked cookies somehow, along with all the fruit we had (we were expecting leftovers). I loved giving a home tour to our guests and DH and I are very surprised by how giving everyone was over the weekend.

How are you feeling? Swollen, achey, concerned about my diet, and excited to wash my baby's clothes and diapers!

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have? I dunno. Patience and grace are areas I want to grow in this year so I'm skipping this one.

• @mighty_montgomery usually if you're going to get GD or pre-e, you're going to get it regardless of what you try to do to prevent it. But, trying to eat healthy and maintain zen mode to lower bp is always a good plan!

Re: Patience - my favorite quote is "patience is a virtue I don't have time for." And it's true, God did not grant me much patience.
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrstmoose thanks & yeah. DH is the most patient person I've met and he lets me know that I am harsh and critical to him and that he's sensitive while I'm not (which is all true). And someone said to me recently, "You're so patient, kind, and soft-spoken..."
    DH and I had a conversation about how I'm perceived by friends and how I talk when he and I are alone. Then came the concerns of "What if my child sees me as harsh and critical too but doesn't tell me or molds to that behavior?" Of course I will not be a perfect mom, but it is something I want to change. DH is going to be the merciful, gentle, permissive one and I will be the authoritative, tough-love momma. Hopefully our kids will turn out fine. 😅
  • @mighty_montgomery I think also if you passed the glucose test, you're probably not going to get GD b/c it's something you would have already developed. With pre-E, there's little you can do to prevent it is what I've also heard. If you maintain a low sodium diet it should help at least with blood pressure problems. But, diet and exercise will also make you stronger and will help not have such a huge baby--I need to listen to my own advice lol

Due date: 
    April 7

Any appointments? Questions? Does anyone eat protein bars as a snack? I've been trying to find ones that don't have soy or chicory root and it seems near impossible. Any favorites?
    I have my 32 week appointment tomorrow!

Rants/Raves? Baby shower is Saturday--excited and also kinda going crazy about it lol. Got a pedicure today since I can't really trim my toenails lol...went first thing in the morning to avoid those gross fumes. It was wonderful and I was really engrossed in my book while I waited for my toes to dry and then some evil person was getting something done on their nails that made me leave bc of that chemical smell...but otherwise it was wonderful to have time to read my book!

How are you feeling? Pretty good...hungry, which is surprising since my appetite seemed to be subsiding last week.

Did you do anything to prep for baby this week? Not really... :#

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have? non-stop talking when I'm trying to get something done...been dealing with this a lot at work

• s_montgomerys_montgomery member
    edited February 2019
    @aggie0812 Thank you for the info & Yes on the protein bars! I've gotten Atkins from Walmart which taste great and help me choose the bar over icecream or other sweets at night :-) and I've tried "premiere protein" chocolate peanut butter also from Walmart which don't taste as great and probably have an unecessary amount of protein for me, but they are thick and chewy which is fun.

Not sure on the ingredients of either, though.
  • @mighty_montgomery I don’t sugarcoat things for DH either, and he’s really sensitive to it (less so recently...maybe we’ve found the balance?). He’s definitely the parent that rescues; I’m the parent that lets DD get frustrated and figure it out. She loves us both, but Grandma more :)

@aggie0812 that pedi sounds dreamy. I’ve got nothing for protein bars. Why are you avoiding those ingredients?

Due date: 4/2

Any appointments? Questions? Shots, ob, hospital tour!

Rants/Raves? Celebratory dance for making it to 33 weeks tomorrow. Bonus rave that we got to spend lots of time with family this weekend, and DD did not have a complete meltdown when we left her at her godfather’s house for a funeral. Bonus rave 2: I was able to pair separates I already owned into a very appropriate maternity funeral style and didn’t have to buy a little black dress for one-time use!

How are you feeling? Fatigued, on a daily basis. DD can stop kicking me at night too. 

Did you do anything to prep for baby this week? Wrote out a birth plan. It’s double sided, handwritten, and covers pre labor, labor, delivery, and post-delivery hospital stay, but I feel like might still be too long? What are others doing/seeing?

Also, agreed upon an unconventional plan to pay for college tuition for the kids.

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have? Being chronically late.

• Due date: April 3

Any appointments? Questions? Have an OB check in on Wednesday because I spaced and missed it last week. Whoops! The appointment is mid-day so now I have to book a sub for the whole day and make sub plans, which is annoying. 

Rants/Raves? Old Navy maternity jeans are superior to H&M maternity jeans.

How are you feeling? More and more uncomfortable and slow. We are having the longest stretch of low temps in 100 years here - it’s been  between -20 and -40 for the last 2 weeks and will be around -20 for the next 2 weeks. I’m glad LO will be born after this cold snap is over!

Did you do anything to prep for baby this week? We went to our prenatal class this weekend, which was SO GOOD, especially for DH who is not as interested in reading up on things as I am.  It was good for him to learn about labour and watch a few births to make it seem a little more serious/painful/real because I think he had a bit of a glossed over idea of what it might be like . 

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have?  Depends on the day! I’m a teacher, so talking while I’m talking is a big one these days!

edited February 2019
    @lyse01 Yes, congrats to making it to 33 weeks!! 🎉 I spoke my birth plan to the OB, who said everything would be doable, but it was very general. I said that I want a vaginal birth with an epidural, my husband to cut the cord, and my induction date to be no later than 8 days past my due date due to travel plans. And all my other preferences can be said at the hospital, such as no visitors until 2 hours after the delivery. I don't see anything wrong with you having clear and specific desires for your birth, pre, during, and post. It's great that you know what you want and can articulate that now rather than being upset after your delivery for not having advocated for yourself and your family. I'm sure many moms don't know what they want until after it's gone unfavorably.

@suchagoodone weird how crazy the temperatures have been lately. In my area, there have been several 70-75° days. Normal winter temps are in the 30s. In 2017 there was 1 day in Feb. (the 12th) that got up to 69° and that was just the craziest thing. Plenty of people are sick in my area from the fluctuations. My tulips have sprouted and mosquitos are out. Last year trees were blooming by the end of February/early March. I hope temps in your area climb sooner rather than later. It's awful that many people have died due to the abnormally low weather.

• @mighty_montgomery mine includes a few extras like “no c-sections because baby is measuring big or labor isn’t progresssing fast enough (within 24-48 hours), but yes to fetal or maternal distress,” “yes to delayed cord clamping and public banking of cord blood,” “put baby on stomach for initial bf, delaying ointment/shots/weighing” and “DH announces boy vs girl.” It’s a reaction to seeing DD for about a second and a half last time before she was whisked away into a different room, definitely, though also what i wanted for that delivery before circumstances took my options away. More so, it may be an attempt to get DH to focus on knowing the plan!

@suchagoodone that’s absurdly cold, to the point where it doesn’t even matter if you’re talking Celsius or Fahrenheit. Is that at all typical of winters where you are?
  • @lyse01 We do get temps like this every winter in Edmonton, but never for this long of a stretch at a time!  Usually after a week of extreme cold we’ll get a bit of a reprieve for a few days, but not this year! Winters up here are so demoralizing, but on the flip side, we have beautiful (if fleeting) summers! And yep, my temps are in Celsius - I generally can’t make heads or tails of Fahrenheit, but I know -40 is the convergence point for both. Brrrrrr!
  • @suchagoodone I briefly tried to train myself to estimate Celsius by putting by phone’s weather in °C, but I don’t actually check the weather often enough for it to have worked. 

But more importantly, are there architectural and business scheduling adaptions to the cold? Like, how does society keep people from dying from exposure?
  • @lyse01 Huzzah on 33 weeks!  I just met with my doula and she basically took notes on a few things and said that the nurses are likely to just ask her so we were good.  We *might* update our plan from last time but that's only if we get time.  One thing she did point out is that I was hoping to have no IV this time (if possible) but that standard protocol was to have one in to give pitocin after birth to help reduce bleeding.  Apparently this is a new standard since I last gave birth 6 years ago.  

Due date: 4/1

Any appointments?  Checkup today and meeting with doula.

Questions? I'm worried I'm forgetting something.  I just realized I probably need to tell our ped. that we're having another baby and should probably look into a breast pump.  Yeah....I'm super not prepared.  

Rants/Raves?  After my next appointment I'm on the weekly schedule.  How did that happen?

How are you feeling? Tired and sore.  I had a massive headache on my left side that made my teeth hurt and then it just disappeared.  My BP was fine at my appointment though.

Did you do anything to prep for baby this week? Got the free stroller from our friend.  

GTKY: What's the most annoying habit a person can have?  Chewing really loudly.  

• @lyse01 Most folks spend their winters scurrying from heated vehicles into heated buildings and not spending much time outdoors. I saw some insane people out jogging yesterday, so some people just bundle up and go for it! Though there is a homeless population here, it’s not as big as most big cities because of the elements. There are drop-in centres downtown for people to spend time overnight and I don’t think they are allowed to turn people away when they’ve reached capacity.  School and work don’t get cancelled because of the temperature, though in rural areas they occasionally cancel busing to the schools and obviously they don’t send kids outside for recess below certain temps. We’re a hearty bunch up here, can’t go around cancelling stuff just because it’s cold out or we’d be sitting around doing nothing all winter! 
    Wow, that was probably really boring haha! Let’s just say I very much love everything about living in Canada except the winter weather!

• @suchagoodone I’m just trying to imagine my town making it through a winter with those temps. They cancelled school and closed a ton of local businesses yesterday for an inch of snow at noon (and some afternoon icing). I understand the icing is the more dangerous part but please. But I guess the schools aren’t built to consistently heat from below 0°F (probably around -20°C?) and a lot of old buildings have terrible insulation. Meanwhile, when I visited Minneapolis a few years ago, I saw massive heating elements in the awnings over all the hotel/restaurant entrances which I thought a clever adaptation (if rather ugly). 

@saucentoss ohhhh really good idea to check with the pediatrician!
  • @mighty_montgomery will definitely check them out. I don't think you can have too much protein--or maybe, idk, but my midwife says (from Brewer's diet) that pregnant women should have 80-100 g of protein...so bring on the protein! Certainly better for you than ice cream lol, though ice cream is a huge temptation for me like, every day

@lyse01 bc I'm fairly certain I'm sensitive to soy, and there's research that soy doesn't mix well with thyroid disease (which I have). I don't 100% avoid it bc it's in everything under the sun, but I try to avoid it if possible. Chicory root is one that doesn't mix with pregnancy, or so I've read, b/c it can bring on contractions. Perhaps I didn't read enough on it or perhaps small amounts don't matter but I choose to err on the side of caution.
    edited February 2019
    Randoms update: DH plans on talking to his younger brother by 6 weeks 0 days until our EDD (currently 6 & 4). BIL passed his final college test this week and has plans to join the Army. He doesn't seem to have a timeframe goal for getting into bootcamp. I hope he is feeling motivated to move forward quickly with the process. DH reassured me he will ask his brother to return the house key by the agreed upon date he will establish with his brother during their talk upcoming regardless of his life plans.

DH got a call today that his car will be worked on this weekend. Since it has been at the shop for a few weeks now, they are giving him a discount on the cost of repairs although we're not sure how much. Any discount is nice, though.

I met with a friend today and we established a new meal plan for the rest of my pregnancy. Hopefully it goes well. We are cutting out a lot of carbs and adding in a lot of water. Those are my two struggle areas. I hope I stick with it because I want my baby and I to be healthy! It was so much easier to make healthy food choices in the first trimester, but once I felt sure that my baby was here to stay I slacked in nutrition.

I went swimming today. It was neat to feel the difference of weight and buoyancy being pregnant. I would highly recommend pool time.
  • @mighty_montgomery if he hasn’t already been talking to recruiters, he def won’t be shipping off to boot camp in six weeks. If he has, but doesn’t yet have a date, it’s highly unlikely to be within six weeks and there’s not much he can do to speed it up.
  • @lyse01 that's helpful information to know.
    edited February 2019
    DH talked to BIL this morning while I was out shopping. He said he told his brother he would like him to find somewhere else to go by the time our daughter comes. But he did not tell my BIL our due date or anything about when our daughter is expected. 🤦‍♀️ Plus he didn't set a move-out-by date, consequences if he isn't out (such as changed locks, etc.), or really set his foot down on the issue (giving his little brother basically the opportunity to say "oh, she's here now? I haven't found a place to go yet so I guess I'll start looking then." Etc.).
    I asked DH to have a follow-up conversation with his brother because even though I gave clear information regarding our shower date/time and being dog-free, BIL had his dog home during our shower and did not leave with him until his dog was jumping on guests and barking because he "didn't know the shower was today and nobody would take him." I told him 3x when it was and th at it was to be dog-free, I had him take a picture of our baby shower invite at least 2 months before the event, and I kept a copy on our fridge for months. There was no reasonable excuse to not know. So anyways, hooray for DH having the courage to talk to his brother, and hopefully he follows up with his brother a strict move-out date with a consequence.
    Also, I want to make BIL's room into a play room. :-)

ETA: In case anyone was wondering, BIL is 22 years old.
  • @mighty_montgomery your BIL sounds just like mine except mine is 28 and luckily doesn’t live with us (but he has a slew up problems). I’d definitely have your DH give his brother a move out date ASAP. I’d personally say he has a month at most to find a place, that’s plenty of time. You never know if baby may come early. I hope everything works out, it’s so hard when it’s not your sibling but you still have to put your foot down about stuff.