June 2019 Moms

Nursery Rooms

Hi everyone! This is my first post and now that I'm half way through my pregnancy the nerves are starting to calm and I'm getting excited about baby shopping and preparing.

Has anyone started their nursery room yet? What color did you choose for the furniture? Do you have a theme or color scheme? 

Curious to see what everyones ideas!

Re: Nursery Rooms

• I’m not one for over the top decorated nurseries. We’re doing white furniture. We’re decorating my sister’s childhood bedroom which has a fuschia feature wall and thinking of just going a light grey. We’re only going to be there for 6-12 months and then we’ll be in rentals so won’t be able to do much decorating. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @holyboobsbatman - what a cute blanket! That's almost the exact color we painted the room for our little girl. Mermaids or woodland creatures are so cute and there is so much fun stuff out there for it!

We are doing more of a vintage floral thing I guess you could say. We just finished painting 2 of the walls a glass tile color which is a light mint green and the other walls were already a light gray. My SIL gave me her crib which is white but I didn't want white furniture so we refinished a dresser to be kind of a middle of the spectrum grey. The bedding is more pinks and corals with some gold accents. It's been fun this time around b/c with my son we didn't sign the ppwk for our house until the day after I went into labor so his nursery wasn't finished until he was almost 7 months old which is a superhero theme. 

Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @wiseh I'm hoping to do white furniture as well! The only white set I like at Target seems to be sold out though so we'll have to look elsewhere or go with a different color furniture. The fuschia feature wall will be a sweet touch! 

@holyboobsbatman I LOVE the baby blanket. So beautiful and you are super talented! Beautiful color as well. 

@Griffin5413 I'm sure it'll be so nice to have the nursery done before the baby being born! The color theme you chose sound pretty. Your sons superhero theme sounds cute too!

• laura_pdx - I love the national park theme! so cute!
    wiseh - cute furniture! 
    loving-baby - have you checked online with Target? Or maybe another online retailer carries the same brand? 
    TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Living vicariously through all you ladies who get to decorate nurseries! Baby will be in our room for at least 6 months or until we move to a larger place. Keep the pictures coming!!!
  • tkbmama - we literally finished redoing a dresser this past weekend. I'll have to check the names at home but there was basically a primer that allowed us not to have to sand anything down. It was sooooo easy! My husband ended up repainting the changing table that we used for my son too.  I'll check the names and let you know! 
    TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Griffin5413 thanks! I had heard of the Annie Sloane chalkchalk  but can't find anywhere locally that sells it and people are telling me to sand still. So any input from someone whose actually done it is great! 
  • @tkbmama - for the 1st coat I used: Zinsser- Cover stain (oil based) Primer stain blocker & bond coat. We used 2 coats for the primer.  For the paint, we went to home depot so I used a Satin finish Paint & primer in one by Behr (which is one of the main brands they carry. I think you could use anything just use a satin finish). We used 2 coats. For the clear coat, I used Varathane - Ultimate Polyurethane (water based) which said crystal clear satin.  We only used 1 coat. 

TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tkbmama - also I forgot to say we used a foam brush not a bristle brush. 

TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Have any STM/TTMs tried the little nomad playmats? That was my plan for a rug but I'm hearing good and bad about them online. Curious if anyone has any actual experience with them?
  • edited February 2019
    My DD nursery is a bohemian blush/floral theme. So for these two I’m doing a lemon theme with neutral walls with lemon decals, yellow touches and then lemon crib sheet and changing pad. For the boy I’m doing a black gingham theme. Neutral walls, black furniture and curtains with touches of the gingham in the crib sheet, changing pad and accessories.
  • Has anyone painted a mural in their nursery? I'm thinking about doing this (just a few cute furry creatures) and am wondering what kind of paint you used? 
  • Ours is Classic Winnie The Pooh & Friends! We are doing three walls light yellow/light cream with one wall red. The furniture is going to be gray and I'm getting wall stickers if the characters. I wanted to paint a scene since i am an art teacher but decided not to.
  • What kind of paint are you guys using the repaint walls? Because I’ve read up on what paints not to use. Wasn’t sure if there was a specific brand that was good or not. I’m doing gray and white walls. 
  • There’s paints you’re not supposed to use @ami500?
  • @wiseh it’s pretty much any paint with solvents and oil based. I haven’t painted a room in forever (over 10 years) so I’m like not sure what paint is made out of anymore. 
  • Interesting. I just found a website that says zero VOC paint is best, but they also say I need to use hardwood floors from a sustainable source.. 
  • We need to tear out super old/gross carpet, paint, and get new lighting. We have our crib from the girls and the room will be football “themed”. We don’t go crazy decorating to a theme. The glider will stay red/black and the rest will coordinate with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Woah I’m loving that vintage national parks theme @laura_pdx
  • I just found out my parents won’t be taking the queen sized bed out of the room that will be our nursery. They say there’ll still be enough room and I’m sure there will be (it’s a 13x13 foot room) but I’m still pretty upset that my baby is going to be crammed into a room with another giant bed already in it. Am I being irrational? 
  • @wiseh you aren’t being irrational. I would get upset too. We’ve got this huge tv entertainment center in our current nursery and I want to get rid of it. Fiancé and the ex used the room as pretty much storage and I’m like that space could be used for something else! There is nowhere else the bed can go?
  • All the rooms are full. I’m going to offer to pay to store it if it doesn’t look right once the cot and chest of drawers/change table are in. We’re storing other furniture so I don’t see why it can’t go there too
  • Looks beautiful @lmcw!
  • lmcwlmcw member
    @ami500 Yay for grey! They look like a very similar shade lol I am still dealing with all the crap we previously had in that room. It was our guest room (now relocated to the basement) but also a bit of a dumping ground so I’ve been sorting through a loooot of junk to make space for the baby furniture! It’s good though, there was a lot we needed to get rid of and just hadn’t gotten around to it, so this babe is an excellent excuse!
  • So the playmat/rug I've been waiting to come back in stock is finally available in limited stock on Wayfair. But of course we are out of town til Sunday and all my coupons are at home!!! It will only me save me like $10 but I can't help but me frustrated.
  • wisehwiseh member
    oh no @tkbmama! Is there anyone you can to grab your vouchers and head in to the store to buy it for you?  :(
  • @wiseh I tried a bunch of people, but luckily made it back in time for it still to be in stock. This is what I bought, my friend has one and she loves it.

• tkbmama - cute rug!
    TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wisehwiseh member
    That mat is so cool @tkbmama! I'm definitely going to look at something like that once we've finished rearranging my parents house haha. I'm thinking I'm going to go cheapo though & get one of those foam mats with tiles so we won't be too upset if we can't fit it in when we move.