September 2019 Moms

*Please Read* Proposed Change to Board Organization

Hello everyone! Since our BMB is pretty small/quiet, I thought maybe we could reduce the amount of weekly check ins in an effort to get more conversations going and to get to know each other better. Instead of the 4 weekly group check ins, I thought we could do one weekly check in for everyone. We would continue to do the PGAL check ins, GTKYs, product spotlights, etc.

What do you think?

*Please Read* Proposed Change to Board Organization 40 votes

Merge the four weekly check ins into one
77% 31 votes
Keep things as is
22% 9 votes

Re: *Please Read* Proposed Change to Board Organization

• I feel like this group is still too early to consider us small and quiet, especially when most of the conversation happens in the TTGP, PGAL and AMA threads. Some of the weekly threads are more chatty than others and that's fine. Just let things die or thrive naturally.
  • themadcamelthemadcamel member
    edited February 2019
    @bubsalicious I can see your point, but I also think it would be nice to have a place where more people are checking in so everyone has a better chance of getting to know people.

My thoughts were to leave this poll up for the rest of the week and see where the votes are on Sunday.

ETA if we do end up changing it, we could always change it back to separate groups if we get more participation later. Just a thought. :smile:
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the idea of a full board check in! I'm right on the edge of Group 2 (EDD 9/9) so I lurk on the Group 1 check in occasionally to see how I align with those of you who are a few days-a week ahead of me
  • I'm torn in between... I think the smaller group check ins are nice because the overall board can become overwhelming initially when getting to know people, but I can definitely see how this board seems a lot quieter than my previous one. I think we have a lot of PGAL/TTC grad women too, where since it's still early, some may be hesitant to fully immerse themselves in the board until they've at least reached 12 weeks.

Maybe better utilization of Randoms, U/O, FFFC, GTKY, etc would be helpful? The weekly groups will be super helpful towards the end especially when some women will be giving birth nearly a month before others, so building that strong community would be great. I also think we have a looot of random one-off threads that are continuously started that could be conversation topics in the larger threads to continue and promote convos there. Nothing bugs me more than a self-righteous mama bear who decides she's all of a sudden the BMB police on posting and makes everyone new feel unwelcome, but I can see how a little more organization could be useful too. 

Did I just blabber for an hour and come to no conclusion? Yeah? Okay, cool! haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sunshine2417 feeling torn as well, even though I suggested this lol. I'm just trying to think of ways to get more participation/community going. I guess I had this unrealistic vision of a super active board. Being KU is like the only thing I can think of but I don't really have anyone IRL to talk about it with because we haven't told most people, my mom has only had MCs, and none of my friends have/want kids.
    Agreed that BMB policing can be detrimental when it makes willing newcomers feel unwelcome, but I don't think we've had that problem here.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say either lol.
  • I like the idea of creating more threads that are open to everyone. But I would be super bummed to lose the groups. I'm in group 4 which is really comforting to have since I'm due 9/29 and, especially this early on, it feels like everyone else in here is SOOOO much farther along than I am. Please don't take my group :( 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • blitzybeeblitzybee member
    edited February 2019
    Maybe we can poll again when everyone is in the second trimester??? I’m all for making it one group that chats together, but I can see how important the smaller groups are for some. 
  • septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited February 2019
    @themadcamel maybe we could start some more threads that allow for group convo for everyone. Maybe along with the big question thread we could do a thread on Ask a STM/ STM+, what’s for dinner, steals/ deals/ coupons etc. I’ve been lurking on other groups to see what gets their convos going and those threads are always chatty.