Baby Names

Thoughts on the name Elsie??

We love this name for our little girl, but since we don’t want to share it with friends or family ahead of time, we need some outside opinions... Thanks in advance! 

Re: Thoughts on the name Elsie??

• If you love it, use it! 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It’s cute but I wouldn’t use it as a full name. Could be a nickname for-
    Elsa
    Elise
    Elisabeth
    Eliza
    Eloise 

My personal preference is to give a more formal name that could use Elsie as a nn but if you prefer Elsie on its own, I don’t think it’s a terrible thing. Lots of kids these days have “nicknames” as full names and this is not a particularly silly one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's ok. I know someone that used it for their little girl. To me, it's one of those names that works on a little girl but doesn't grow up well. I agree with PP that I'd use it as a nn for a more formal name. 
  • Agree, use it as a nickname.  
  • It's super cute, but doesn't age well. Agree with PPs to use a more formal name and call her Elsie as a nn.
  • We did consider that perhaps “Elsie” wouldn’t age well (while hoping it would!) Rather than pick a formal name with the nn Elsie, what we thought was that if she felt Elsie was too cutesy later in life, she could use the nn Elle. No good?
  • No good. Agree with all pps to use a fn and have Elsie as nn
  • I LOVE it. I have a 2 year old niece named Elsie Ann! Elsie ages just fine. Elsie is one of those 'old lady" names!
  • I think it’s okay as a nickname. I can’t picture it on an adult. 
  • It's ok. I know someone that used it for their little girl. To me, it's one of those names that works on a little girl but doesn't grow up well. I agree with PP that I'd use it as a nn for a more formal name. 
    My grandma's name is Elsie. :joy:

I think it is a great classic name.  I used it for my daughter's middle name.

Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • It reminds me of a cow.

• Thanks everyone for your help with this! I completely see the point of the majority that think Elsie needs a formal name and really contemplated/agonized over the input, but I still love it as a stand alone (and can only hope my daughter will too). Sometimes asking for others’ opinions helps you realize that you actually know exactly what you want and can’t be swayed! So it was very helpful, honestly. Thanks!
  • We did consider that perhaps “Elsie” wouldn’t age well (while hoping it would!) Rather than pick a formal name with the nn Elsie, what we thought was that if she felt Elsie was too cutesy later in life, she could use the nn Elle. No good?
    I think you're right in that if she doesnt like it she could use Elle. I think it's a beautiful name that would age just fine! 
  • I think Elsie is a great standalone name. But...I have 2 daughters with super old lady names. I would definitely consider Elsie if I had another daughter.