September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers! :: 2/8

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby carriers! Ring slings, wraps, you name it.

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [baby carrier]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Carrier(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
For reference, here’s a link to the product spotlight spreadsheet that includes links to previous posts and a list of future spotlights: https://bit.ly/2TyPYqa

Coming up next week: Strollers

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers! :: 2/8

• Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Sakura Bloom Scout! I also liked my Solly Baby
    • Link/picture: https://sakurabloom.com/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $125ish, but worth it!
    • What you like about it: It's gorgeous, light weight, comfy.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: No fault of the carrier, but I couldn't handle my 1+ year old in it. I've got bad shoulders and it's just too much weight.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm going to get a Sakura Bloom ring sling and wildbird one for this little one
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I am a stroller queen, so that is my go to. However, I think baby wearing still can have it's place. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: I only had an ergo sport  and moby. Hated the moby  ergo sport was okay, but I would have used it more if I could have faced her out in it.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I got it for 100 from Amazon with an infant insert 
    • What you like about it: easy to put on, soft and my kid liked it.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: she couldn't face out.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: not sure. Would have to look at them again.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: definitely liked it to hVe my hands available and my kid hated her carseat/stroller.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Favorite [baby carrier]: I loved my Beco Butterfly. sadly I don't think they make it anymore and I sold mineWhat you like about it: I liked the layer between me and the babe, it made me more comfortable getting into the back carryAdditional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I need to research for this babe.  I also had the k'tan which was nice and quick and good for the newborn phase
  • Options
    I LOVE baby carriers and may have a slight obsession. And while I don't need more, I totally plan on buying more for this baby.
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: So, there are favorites for every stage. Newborn stage, I LOVE the K'tan or any stretchy wrap. I choose the K'tan because I was scared to learn how to tie, but because it does not tie correct sizing is 100% critical. The K'tan is also slim so I could wear it under a sweater and no one would know, or if it was chilly I could also zip a sweater up around both of us. Baby stage I am all about the SSC. Most have now been approved for frontward facing and down to newborn weight now, but I bought a Lillebaby because that was the predominate one when I was pregnant is DS. At about 4ish months, baby wants to face out a lot but  most SSC's aren't approved for that young (most common is 6 months for spinal develop reasons) so a sling is handy for that. Toddler stage we have been using a ring sling a lot, and yes it is shockingly comfortable. It makes for super quick ups and downs, and stays out of the way during downs.
    • Link/picture: I can't get pictures to post nicely, so here is a bunch of links
    K'tan: https://www.babyktan.com/cottonwrap
    Lillebaby Complete All Seasons (optional mesh by zip down panel): https://www.lillebaby.com/products/complete-all-seasons?variant=22048033177718
    Lillebaby Complete Original: https://www.lillebaby.com/products/complete-original?variant=19706255605878
    Lillebaby Essentials Originial: https://www.lillebaby.com/products/essentials-original?variant=19370638540918
    Lillebaby Ring Sling: https://www.lillebaby.com/products/eternal-love-ring-sling?variant=19370639523958
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): The K'tan is around $50, but they have a "used" section that drops the price. These carriers were tried on and not liked so they got sent back, it is how I bought mine. Lillebaby's price anywhere from $90-$170 depending on which one you get, but there are always amazing sales to get it for cheaper. I've seen a lot of people get the "higher end" Lille's for $50 brand new on Amazon. They also have "mystery boxes" where you choose which type of carrier you want and they surprise you with the print, and tons of BOGO sales. Really, there is no reason to pay full price for their carriers unless it's an LE.
    • What you like about it: The best part about babywearing is being close to baby! DS and I have shared many secrets while shopping and babywearing, you know, as long as he wasn't sleeping. I already said what I like about the K'tan: no tying/buckling, very sleek, many uses throughout the first 6 months, extremely easy to use and troubleshoot. Lillebaby: The price you pay for their quality is unreal. Another huge plus is the lumbar support, others don't have this and it helps to shift weight amazingly. It is extremely comfortable. When we moved, I had DS on my back all day while doing physical labor and never once needed a break. I've also use it while cross country skiing and very long walks without issue. Also they were one of the first to have many of the features they do so it is very well tested. They have a wide variety of carriers so there is one literally for everyone (overwhelming, yes, but I can totally help you out). Their company is also amazing. They use their community to launch new products, send random free carriers to people, and they recently had two huge issues that they responded to immediately and effectively based off a couple people saying things in their Lillebaby Love group.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The worst part are the looks and the comments you get in public (and family) while babywearing, but screw them. K'tan's have a short lifespan because they are a stretchy carrier. While it can hold up to 35 lbs, the majority can't use it that long. On the other weight end, K'tan's aren't rated below 8 pounds, which is a larger newborn so it could be awhile before you can use it. While Lillebaby is a floppier SSC (which is dreamy), it is also kind of bulkier when compared to a Tula, and because of this I've heard shorter gals have a lot more issues with fit of the Lillebaby.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I totally plan on buying a couple for this baby even though DH says no. First, I need a new K'tan because I need a new size, and I also can't wait to use a ring sling for the newborn stage. I have been dreaming about a Lenny Lamb Onbuhimo carrier (similar to a SSC, but without the bottom buckle, can also back carry sooner) and a Lenny Lamb coat or sweatshirt. Ok, let's be honest, I'd take any kind of Lenny *drool*. I also want to buy a Tula just to try it out and see how it does differ from a Lillebaby. I also am looking at buying a Mei Tei (the Infantino one) to try it out, which can be readily found at most Second Hand baby shops (Once Upon A Child). I also dream about a Sakura Bloom some days, because man those are beautiful carriers.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: Please, read your manual and read it! I've seen people not even take the time to read it and just toss it then can't figure out what they are doing wrong. Just like any baby devise, there are certain ways you can use a carrier and should be followed 10,000% for safety! You wouldn't treat a carseat like "well it says to do this, but I'm going to do this instead" so don't treat any carrier that way. Most importantly, while babywearing is amazing and the benefits are well known, it is not for everyone and that is OK. Because you know what the best benefit for baby is? A happy mom.
  • Options
    I'm definitely going to be stalking this thread. I have no clue when it comes to this stuff. I didn't even know what a baby carrier was until recently (I originally thought it was the basket/seat part that you see people carrying around sometimes that I think is part of a car seat..??)

My question: is a carrier an around the house thing for hands free mobility or is it something that you use while out? If you have a stroller, do you bring a baby carrier in addition or is it a replacement?
  • Options
    @themadcamel I definitely use a carrier around the house. To cook, to clean, sometimes baby just wants to be held, etc. I also keep a Lille in the car at all times just in case like if we are buying big things, a cart full of things, babe is sleeping or whiny, if I feel needy. When we go out, we think about the activities we are going to do. If it's the park, stroller so DS can get in and out easier. If it's a lot of walking, carrier. I usually use it in place of a stroller because it fits in so many more places easier than a stroller every would and I never have to worry about it getting stuck.
  • Options
    Lets see. I was due in June last time so I had a wrapsody gauze wrap. This time I might finally get the Storchenwiege (sp)? Leo I really wanted. Later we got a Beco Gemini because my husband wanted to have him face out when he was doing certain chores. We ended up just carrying in our arms a lot but that won't work as well with a 4 year old at the same time.
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Tula for SSC and handwoven ring slings
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): You can get some of them for under $100. I'm into the handwoven stuff though (more comfortable and unique) so I spend $$$. 
    • What you like about it: Easy to use, comfortable, easy to resell and recoup money spent. Tula makes a Free-To-Grow that can be used from 7-45 lbs. I am really looking forward to being able to wear a newborn since baby wearing is such a lifesaver!  I know it will come in handy. I plan on using the ring sling until I can be sure they fit the FTG properly and then switch to the FTG for out and about wearing. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: They can get a bit warm sometimes, but not horribly. 
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I only have three (two SSCs and one RS) and I want so many more. I might get one more once the baby grows out of the Free-to-grow Tulas I have.
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Babybjorn original carrier
    • Link/picture: https://www.babybjorn.com/baby-carriers/original/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $80 or so (we waited for one to go on sale on Amazon though, and got it for about $50)
    • What you like about it: Easy to put on and easy to get DS in and out, lightweight, portable, DS could face in or out (facing out was a big hit once he was old enough). I got this one because I'm short (5') and a friend my height had used this with her kids and said it fit her well and was easy to adjust between her and her husband, and that was true for me too.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Once DS got heavier (probably around 15 lbs) the lack of a band around the waist to redistribute some of the weight definitely became an issue, so this is not a carrier that works well the entire span of time a person might want a carrier for their child. It also has a minimum weight limit of 8 lbs, so not suitable for many newborns.
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Babybjorn One
    • Link/picture: https://www.babybjorn.com/baby-carriers/baby-carrier-one/?attribute_pa_color=sort&attribute_pa_material=cotton-mix
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $190 or so. We got ours from Amazon for around $130 - as I remember it wasn't too challenging (particularly if not picky about color) to find one on sale.
    • What you like about it: DH used this a lot more than I did, and really likes it. He got a lot of use out of it when we went on walks or hikes or were out running errands. The buckle around the waist definitely helps distribute the weight (we got this when DS started feeling heavy in the original). It's nice to have the option to face out or use as a backpack. It was comfortable for DS to spend quite a bit of time in on walks, and the hip support for him did seem better with this than with the original.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: For me carrying DS in a carrier once he got heavier was just not that comfortable, and I found this carrier bulkier (there are good reasons why it's bulkier, obviously) and ungainly to put on and fiddly, and while completely possible to adjust it to be comfortable for me and then readjust it to be comfortable for DH that was more complicated with this than with the original. The main thing I used the carrier for at that point was quick errands or to check the mail (wearing DS for maybe 15 minutes tops), and it always seemed like a pain to readjust it all just for that. This also has a 8 lb minimum weight limit.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope. I do kind of like the look of the Babybjorn mini, but we really don't need another one.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I knew a wrap carrier wasn't for me - it made me feel hot and itchy just looking at how to videos of how to put them on (I also can't wear turtlenecks or heavy pullover sweaters - this might be a related fact), and that was reinforced when I tried a couple. I know several people who love their k'tans but I tried one and couldn't stand it, for the same reason. I would recommend trying a few different ones on, if possible, and trying to get a sense of what you like and don't like.
    @themadcamel I didn't end up wearing DS much around the house, but a lot of people do and love it. I found DS would wake up whenever I did anything remotely resembling a chore, and really only napped if I sat in one place and held him, lol. I found it awkward doing most chores with him on me anyway, but that's just me! We always took both the stroller and the carrier with us in the car and would decide when we got wherever it was which to use. Usually we also stuffed the carrier under the stroller on walks/errands etc so if he got restless in the stroller we could switch to the carrier pretty smoothly.
  • Options
    @themadcamel they are a LIFESAVER around the house! I never got dinner cooked or dishes done without them! The type you will want will definitely depend on their age and the support you need. My favorite carrier for around the house during the first 3-6 months was a Boba wrap! Keeps the baby close, tight, and secure!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker