July 2019 Moms

Anyone else concerned about how they're "showing"?

Hi there, I'm a first time mom expecting a baby girl on 7/5/19 :). Pre-pregnancy I was a size 12 at 163lbs and 5'4". My first trimester was a wild ride (lol) and I'm now 155lbs, feeling a lot better but still not eating any more than I was pre-pregancy. I can't wear my normal pants, and am wearing leggings and maternity jeans. I saw my doc on 1/7/19 (no sono) baby's heartbeat was good and all is well, next sono is the 20week anatomy scan. It might just be hormonal me, but I find myself browsing photos of other expectant moms at 16 weeks and feeling like they're SHOWING SHOWING and I'm just a little pudgy. I definitely had more of a "B" shaped stomach before pregnancy. Anyone else in that boat? Will I ever look like I'm truly showing? Is my baby growing okay? I know only my doctor can tell me that, but just looking for other moms' experiences. Thanks so much.

Re: Anyone else concerned about how they're "showing"?

• You're totally fine. I have a similar frame w/same height and weight. I look more pudgy in the tummy, but not super "bumpy".  I also lost weight during first tri down to 155 or so. I started having a really noticeable bump around 20 weeks with my previous pregnancies. Skinny people tend to show earlier since there is less to hide the bump. I wouldn't worry at all. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Ah thanks so much for the reassurance! I feel like the trap of comparison is very easy to slip into lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Aww, I know what you mean, and you’re definitely not alone! I’m not really showing much either, and I’m also a first-time mom, due a day ahead of you. So we are kind of on a similar schedule. I also look at the HDBD posts and wonder when I’m going to start showing, but I’m sure it’ll happen soon enough and we’ll be not fitting into any of our clothes in no time! 
  • Definitely normal. This is #3 for me and I’m still more frump than bump. Similar weight, just a couple of inches shorter than you. It was the same way with my second pregnancy. Like @ameliabedelia-2 I was almost 20 weeks before I had a true bump
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Everyone is going to show differently depending on body type, genetics, prepregnancy weight, baby's position, if you've been pregnant before, etc. All normal! ❤️ 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Thank you all for your feedback and the reminder that we're all different!
  • Everyone carries differently.  I can see a bump now, but feel like me and hubby are the only ones that have noticed it lol. Not even wearing maternity clothes yet and I'm 15 weeks 4 days. This is my third. Do you know if your Mom got big with her pregnancies? Sometimes it can be genetic. Sometimes it's just how you're built! I'd say if your dr isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either😊
  • Ah thanks so much for the reassurance! I feel like the trap of comparison is very easy to slip into lol
    And I hate to say it, but the comparison thing only gets worse😏 
  • I feel that my 'bump' is more bloat and squish then an actual bump. i'm 5'6 and was about 145 before i got pregnant but always had a squishy middle. I will be 14wks tomorrow I can fit in my pre-pregnancy jeans with a little bit of an extender, but have been living in leggings. Bought some maternity jeans just for the comfort of not feeling like i'm suffocating. Can't wait for a real bump, and I agree, its hard not to compare.. damn internet! 
  • 17+1, FTM, now and still no bump at all.  I feel like my spare tire is maybe a little more noticeable, but it's still soft, so that's probably just wishful thinking :/ .  Nobody who doesn't know me would guess that I'm pregnant even in a swimsuit, though.  
  • This has been bothering me too ladies. Even though I know I'm a first time mom and that everyone's body is different... This has been the best part of this group for me -- reading/knowing that others share some of my concerns or feelings! 
  • Definitely normal! I have a tall slender/average body type prepregnancy and I am 16 weeks pregnant with twins, I'm a second time mom. Everyone keeps saying how you can't even tell I'm pregnant especially with twins. With my first I didn't start to show until 6 months and really popped at that point. Everyone is different and I'm sure your baby is healthy and doing great! 
  • I feel like somedays I look pregnant, somedays I don't! I'm pretty petite so I always thought I would show right away. Wrong! I'll be 14 weeks this weekend, I'm still wearing all my regular clothes. I'm starting to realize the days I actually have a bump it's more..."blump" 😂
  • @meandlittleb I was like that with my first. I am pretty small in build but with DS I didn't end up buying maternity pants until around 16w and didn't really show until 19w. It could be a sign than you've got strong abs holding that LO in :) 
  • @lunardaydreaming I'm a size 14-16, so a little bigger than you, but a FTM as well. I feel like it's mostly blump, although at the top, where there isn't REALLY a lot of pudge on anyone, it's starting to be bump.

My pants with flies/zippers don't fit, except a couple pairs that are too big/stretch really easily, but I can also still hide it if I want, although it's taking more effort.
    I'm thinking that last part will go away this or next week, unless I start wearing my really oversized/DH's stuff.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I am still wearing pre-pregnancy clothing and I’m 16w2d. Some days it feels like I finally have more of a bump, but I think it’s more blump lol. I definitely have a small top-of-uterus thing going on, but it’s not really noticeable to anyone but me! 😂

I actually told two clients at work and they literally had no clue. I was shocked! Made me feel more confident in waiting a little longer to tell the rest. 
  • I bought the maternity pants at 13.5 weeks because I couldn't stand my pants anymore. But I don't think I really looked pregnant until the last few days (14+5) and now I feel like I really look it. I am just like really round now. But it really happened like overnight. 
    I'm a size 14 but 5'10" tall. 
    Just be patient we are all right on that line right now! And also, remember that some people in the group are already in like week 17! 
  • I feel like I’m showing too much, and it’s bothering me equally as much. I had to buy bigger jeans from week 8 and have already outgrown them. Athough everyone tells me it’s bloat bump or blump this early, I look like most people’s 5-6 month pictures. We July mommas still have a loooonnnggg way to go and 7lbs of that still needs to be baby, so I am terrified of being tremendous further down the road. My pre-pregnancy build is 5’6 136 and by week 8 I was already 148, now at 16 weeks I’ve stabilized around 150 but it’s very uncomfortable and I hate looking at myself I the mirror. In winter clothes I don’t look definitely pregnant, just chubby. I would rather be in the “not showing yet” club as our baby’s are still so small and know I still have room to grow in the third tri and not be Godzilla.
  • @julybaybay, my mom was 5'6" and a size 2 before she had me. The pictures are ridiculous. My dad is 6'4" and I was born at 34 weeks at 7lbs 7oz, and 21inches long. So, a full-size baby! The doctors said that I ran out of room. I had some preemie issues with my lungs, but other than that, I had to get out. She looks like she is smuggling a watermelon. I wish she was still around so I could ask her questions about it all. 
    I feel like I already look so big because I already carried all my excess weight right there in my tummy. 
  • @julybaybay have you tried maternity jeans/pants yet? I'd give those a try rather than a bigger size of non maternity jeans. Pregnant ladies are just a different shape. A gorgeous shape that deserves to be flaunted :-)  

Your weight gain sounds very reasonable to me. I bet you look great!
  • I've been bouncing in and out of maternity pants for the past few weeks. Around 13ish weeks I felt HUGE and my pants were super uncomfortable so I had switched from my normal jeans to maternity. Now I'm back into my normal jeans (albeit my more forgiving pairs) because maternity jeans feel like overkill. I'm sure I'll be back into maternity jeans for good in the next couple of weeks but it's been crazy how all over the place I've been.
  • Anyone else in the second tri feel like their bump is regressing a bit? Is this normal? I’m thinking it could be from an overall slimming down and/or the bloat/water retention receding. But my belly feels smaller t
  • *than it has for the past 8 weeks and it’s concerning me. There’s definitely a bump still but it doesn’t feel as tight/firm and frankly uncomfortable as it has. Is it normal for the belly region to expand and contract through pregnancy? 
  • @julybaybay yes! I have. Totally normal. The bloat is started to go away and utes are starting to expand upward more instead of just out. Babies are also starting to get bigger and their movement more noticeable so when they hang out in the front it will look bigger than if they hang out toward the back or up and down. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Ftm. I'm a plus size (over 200lbs) at 16w (almost 17w now) and I have been taking pictures since week 6. I have noticed some gain but no bump yet. I'm still wearing my regular pants since they are nice and stretchy but without a belt now. Hopefully in the next few weeks my bump will show up. :) 
  • Thanks @nopegoat you always make me feel calmer about things. I really appreciate it!
  • Thanks @nopegoat you always make me feel calmer about things. I really appreciate it!
  • 19+1. A patient that knows I'm pregnant called me chunky today. I'm plus size as it is so it was great. Really great. Boosted my self esteem through the roof. 
    FTM
    July 4th
  • I’m 16 weeks and 3 days and I feel like I'm showing a bit too fast!! My goodness. This is pregnancy number 5 for me! I don’t want any drawstring pants or jeans lol I want leggings lol and elastic bands! My scrubs are the best ever 😂😂😂
  • I feel like it really depends on what I’m wearing. Today in lounge clothes I just look bloated, but like this was a little over a week ago and I think I definitely looked it- to the tune of like 6mo😂
  • erynpdx Cute shirt!! 

18w, FTM, and I completely cut pants out of my life at 12 weeks. I've been living in dresses ever since and there is no mistaking I'm pregnant. I'm 5'1, 140 pre-pregnancy and 155 at my last check in. There isn't a whole heck of a lot of room to go for the baby but out so I anticipate getting pretty big! As someone who grew up with serious body issues I have been terrified that pregnancy would trigger something in me mentally. I have really been loving the changes and growth that my body has made so far and I am looking forward to turning into Violet from Willy Wonka! 
  • @erynpdx you look adorable!  I was asked yesterday if I was having twins.  That's a far cry from my first when people asked if I was still in the 1st trimester when I was a month from delivering.  
  • So, I have a bicornuate uterus and the embryo implanted in the right chamber. Now that I’m starting to show a little more (20 weeks tomorrow), I think it looks so funny because it is distinctly on the right side! Just this little grapefruit-sized lump below my belly button and to the right. My OB said it will even out as the pregnancy progresses, but it’s  pretty weird-looking at the moment.
  • @pizzaplz That is crazy! I never thought about that being possible. That must look pretty strange. 

• @hakele it is pretty weird! I’m looking forward to it all evening out—until my doctor mentioned it, I’d wondered if I was going to be lopsided the entire pregnancy! 
    Some people can even get pregnant in one side, then ovulate from the other side later and get pregnant again, resulting in twins with different conception dates. Pretty glad my body decided once was enough!
  • I feel like baby sits really low, well below my belly button. I also feel like I popped the last week! Before I felt like people wondered 'fat or preggers' and when I was talking to a lady at work whom I see infrequently, mentioned I was pregnant and she was like 'well, duh' (like it was obvious I was). 
    FTM
    July 4th