July 2019 Moms

Randoms w/o 2/4

Re: Randoms w/o 2/4

• My 2 year old is insisting on sleeping in a bed instead of his crib and it’s driving me nuts! We put him in the bed with big brother and he just gets in and out a million times before we put him back in his crib. We plan to transition him to a bed before baby gets here, but was hoping to do that in a few months, not quite yet. 

He's been my wild child since he was born so or course of course he would want a bed before being ready. We might just take his crib mattress out and lay it on the floor for him and start the transition now, but I prefer him contained! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was doing so good with the nausea and puking. Until tonight.. Just puked up dinner and peed all over myself while doing so. 😭😭 😭 

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @Happyin14 I'd love to listen to the podcast if you find it!
  • @nopegoat, NOOOOO. 

Related. When I was sick and had that cough for 2 weeks? Literally peeing my pants non-stop all night. It was the worst and I just couldn’t make it stop. 
  • @Cbeanz, it was NPR and Tara Westover was one of the guests. I’ve started listening (I do audiobooks) to Educated now because of it. Real good. And literally no trace of it on the Internet.... which seems bizarre. 

• @Happyin14 I just got over that mess too and was doing the same.. I swear I change my pants more lately than I change my potty training 2yr olds pants.. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Wow, @hestia14. This sounds so much like what I’m dealing with around my In-Laws right now. I can’t believe I missed this whole convo today. It is literally what I spent the morning talking about with my therapist this morning. 

Ive had lots of heavy stuff happen with my family, but we always work through it and we come out the other end better. My husband and I really had to work on our fighting because he wasn’t used to things actually being allowed to become a fight and working to resolve the issue and grow and move on because no one was ever allowed to finish a fight with his dad. His mom just placated him when he got upset. My FIL is allowed to get away with anything because he is a terrible bully. And he doesn’t like it when I win arguments with him because I do not give up. It is usually a situation where he crosses the line, I call him out, he tries to tell me that I’m over reacting and I lawyer the fuck out of him because I will not accept it. 

I am packed with anxiety about what is going to happen when my child arrives. My in laws have romanticized ideas about what being a grandparent means and I just disagree completely. And I know they aren’t going to like it. 
    One boundary I’ve already established, but I don’t know if DH has relayed is that they will not be welcome at the hospital. My FIL tried to barge in on my BIL’s GF’s labor where she was in pushing stages, etc., because he wanted to see what was taking so long. I felt murdery on her behalf. 

Im just really struggling right now on what boundaries to set, and how to set them/communicate it, etc. So that is what I’m working on right now. Yay, therapy! 
    @Happyin14 I’d love to hear more about how you are working through these. 
  • @hakele I’m with you on the in law issues and working through it in therapy!!! Do you go alone or with your husband? DH and I go together (started the therapy due to PPD and needed a push to get me to get help...then it turned out going together was pretty useful!!)

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t go to my in laws but I will happily host them if they come to us (which never happens). When I’m there I tend to get into fights with them over pretty much every topic...including ones I didn’t realize I had opinions on :) it didnt get better with DD around as comments on parenting were too much for me!!!

DH takes DD from time to time (ie between Christmas and new year he felt obligated to, left the 26th so we could still have family time). I don’t want to actively impact DD’s relationship with them so I support trips to see them. The last time I went was a year ago Christmas because my sister and BIL who are foodies were visiting from the US and DH’s parents happen to live in one of the best places for wine and food in France ...that worked ok because there was a language barrier so I could just talk in English and ignore them more easily because I was distracted with my sister!

Maybe one day through therapy I’ll find a better technique than avoidance...but for me right now, I’m not able to protect myself in the situation. It’s not worth straining my relationship with DH!!! It was essential for him to be in the therapy sessions though that got us to that decision because I know he understands and has no problems defending it to his parents.
  • edited February 2019
    I talked with DH last night about the issue with boundaries with my parents (and his) and it made me feel a lot better. We agree on what issues will need to be addressed and have direction going forward. I mentioned how if we don't at least make an effort to set boundaries and expectations, one of three things could happen. We could end up like my mom's side, who cuts people off entirely and refuses to give them another chance. We could end up like my dad's side, who puts up with a person's behavior as to not cause conflict. Or my we could end up like my MIL, who lets people take advantage of her and gossips about them behind their back. We've seen firsthand how all three situations damage familial relationships. The least we can do is try to change that pattern. 
    I'm glad to see that there are several people who use therapy and find it effective, but unless I end up with PPD, I don't see myself going to therapy anytime soon. I've been writing about my childhood for the last five years and it's been a tremendous help in my emotional growth and coming to terms with what happened to me, why it happened, and why my parents are the way they are. It's also rewarding to see how much my writing has improved in this project--I majored in writing in college and have considered myself a writer since I was little. My parents still aren't totally convinced that writing works for me, but I don't need their approval.
  • hestia14 said:
    My parents still aren't totally convinced that writing works for me, but I don't need their approval.
    This pretty much sounds to me like you have enough of a spine to stick up for yourself, DH and this little person if push comes to shove with your parents. Glad to see you have faith in yourself and are working to break a painful cycle. <3
  • Anyone else have an older toddler/preschooler that they’re going to put in a harness/booster combo instead of buying a new car seat for LO? Like this:

• @mama_bear19 my oldest will turn 5 right around the time this baby is born and he is currently in a seat like the one you posted. He’s still uses the harness, we will transition to the booster when he outgrows the maximums for the harness. 
  • We just moved my 8yr old in a high back booster at the beginning of this school year. My 6yr old is still in a 5pt harness. Regular seat belts even with the high back booster scare me. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Two of mine are already in the harness booster. I've found they're harder to buckle and unbuckle than a convertible car seat. Which is good for a safety feature and a pain for getting them out. 

I don't know when I'll transition to the seat belt but it will likely be several years because kids have a tough time leaving the seat belt where it needs to be. Maybe when my oldest is 8 we'll move to the seat belt, depends on maturity level and her understanding of danger.
  • Thanks for all your answers! What do you guys think about a 3.5 yo in a 5 point harness booster/car seat like above instead of a convertible car seat?
  • @mama_bear19 we switched my son to the harness booster car seat at 3.5, so that my youngest could have the convertible car seat since he was almost 1 and outgrowing the infant seat. 
  • My 3 year old is sick... again. Which my 2 year old will be too here in a couple days. Can’t get a break around here /: 
  • That's about when we switched our two older boys to the combo seat. But a 5pt harness is a must!
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @mama_bear19 my oldest will turn 5 right around the time this baby is born and he is currently in a seat like the one you posted. He’s still uses the harness, we will transition to the booster when he outgrows the maximums for the harness. 
    Ditto! I have the Diono Radian Rxt -- it accommodates the 5pt harness up to 65lbs and DS is 35lbs at 4.5yo, so we'll be using the harness for a while, yet. 
  • @mama_bear19 I have my kids in the Britax Pinnacle, which is basically the same as the one you posted. We still use the 5pt harness and I feel 100% comfortable with it. My son is 4.5 and DD will be 3 in June. 
  • I still have not returned these giant maternity bras from A Pea in the Pod, so within the last 30 minutes I get changed out of sweatpants into big girl clothes and am all ready to go.. until I realize that I have to drive approx 5-10 min further than I thought to return said bras. Now I've got my ass firmly planted on my pregnancy pillow and do not plan on moving until I pick up DS from school. I am so lazy. 
  • How do we get in on the pool @nopegoat ??
  • @Cbeanz I asked H if he had any money in and he said "NOPE! I'm not jinxing it!" 😂😂
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @hestia14, so glad you and DH are on the same page. It's not going to be easy, but it sounds like the two of you will address the issue in an appropriate way. Keep on writing your heart out if it's helping you!  <3
  • @nolemomma14 😂😂😂 

My vote is boy as well!
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I need some sort of intervention.... It's been almost 2 weeks since I bought A Star is Born and I can't stop watching it!!! I mean, I'm embarrassed to even try to count how many times .... ugh! 
  • @jenniferjoy37 I always wanted to be a SAHM. I initially planned to return to work after my first due to financial reasons, but we ended up being able to work it out. When I thought about returning to a job I didn't care for and leaving my baby, I was willing to do whatever it took! I will not lie, being a SAHM is HARD work! And not for the faint of heart. It is extremely isolating and lonely some days. But it is also full of joy and I wouldn't trade it for the world! I teach English online (veryyy part time... I used to do it more before baby 2) but maybe there is something you could do from home to bring in a little income that would help achieve your goals. I say make some lists and talk it out with your hubby on pros and cons. Also, I didn't decide to stay home until the end of my maternity leave so I still had my job to go back to if I had decided I wanted to go back. Good luck! I'm sure you'll make a great decision for you and your family!
  • There is a teacher in the drop off line that always fawns over my boys and how cute they are. This morning was no exception only my 4yr old decided to thank her in his own special way by making direct eye contact, smiling, and proceeding to stick his finger in his nose. 😳😳🤣🤣🤣
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @foodislove I agree with you as well. I've given up on having a relationship with my dad. I have a fantastic relationship with my mom, she really is my best friend. My dad walked out on us when I was in high school after my brother passed away, he just couldn't deal with it and never learned how to cope. I've tried and tried and tried to maintain a relationship with him. When he never RSVP'd for my wedding 5 years ago, that should have been my hint... But I kept trying, and finally called it quits last year. It wasn't worth the let down, the tears, and being sad over him anymore. He clearly does not want a relationship with me, and I'm less stressed trying to force that relationship. I made the decision to not tell him I'm pregnant or when the babe is born. I don't want to get my hopes up thinking that's going to change our relationship. He already has 5 grandkids, and that hasn't mattered to him at all. If he wants to have a relationship down the road, I will certainly welcome him with open arms. But it is just not worth it to be the only one putting in the effort. Took me almost 10 years to realize that!
  • Is anyone else eating like total shit? I have literally been eating fast food multiple times a week, in addition to have a craving for sweets (ice cream, bagels, little debbies, etc). This is super odd for me, because I am seriously a savory person. Anyways, somehow I’ve only gained four lbs. Surely your metabolism doesn’t speed up THAT much during pregnancy?? I thought we only needed an extra 300 calories a day? Ahhh it’s like I’m out of control! 
  • @frenchbaby18 it sounds like you might be lucky enough that your in-laws aren’t nearby.... mine are 1.6 miles away. It’s so much harder to manage with avoidance when they are so close by. Thankfully, they don’t have a habit of just dropping in (I’m thinking like Everybody Loves Raymond). And I will revolt if that changes. 
  • @rgn12 Yes. Way more fast food and other unhealthier stuff than I'd prefer. Main cravings have been Qdoba and Chinese, specifically PF Chang's, so not TOTAL junk, but not exactly healthy, between all the carbs and coatings and condiments/sauces. I haven't weighed myself in a couple days, but I was DOWN 2 lbs from my pre-KU weight last time I did. I guess the nausea/puking is balancing it out?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @greeneyedgirl12 that’s what I was thinking too... I was pretty sick and barely ate first trimester. Technically I’m back to where I started after losing weight and then gaining some back. I just feel out of control lol 😂
  • @rgn12 I keep thinking I'm done with nausea/puking and my body immediately goes "LOL I fooled you!"
    I find my main cravings of Chinese and Mexican especially funny because those are two cuisines commonly associated with GI upset, and while I have thrown them up, not at a rate any higher than any other food group...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @rgn12 I’ve had odd cravings, but I’ve worked really hard to control myself. I think I’d be dead without my daily protein shake. It keeps me from going nuts since it helps you feel satiated longer. Just be careful all the sugar doesn’t catch up to you! 
    This week’s odd craving was Dark Chocolate McVities Digestive Biscuits. (British thing...) I rarely buy them, but this week, I just HAD to get them. I was so proud when I got the last pack on the shelf! Drove all the way to the next town because they don’t have them except at the really big store. 

• @hakele I’m going to try to reign it in 😂