October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• mossn83 said:
    @cmbt12 I totally agree. It was way better getting induced.
    It’s so not what you read with most induction stories, but I don’t regret it. I’ll be induced again this time around. I didn’t have the massive blood loss I did the first time. I didn’t get threatened with transfusions. My recovery was way easier, too.
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @elle-0409 I've already told my immediate family and close friends, those people I'd want for support if something were to happen. I'll do a big announcement around 14 weeks most likely!
    @lbedolla I had a planned homebirth, but it ended in a hospital transfer! I'd love to try again this time, but my husband won't so we're compromising with a birth center. Our house is just too far from a hospital and it freaks him out.
    *TW - birth complications*

I ended up being risked out of my home birth due to pre-eclampsia and I needed to be induced. Ronan then had meconium aspiration and had to be immediately resuscitated and intubated and it scared the living shit out of my husband. Me too obviously, however I know that had Ronan had meconium in his waters at home we would have been immediately sent to the hospital at that point and risked out. I have total faith that my midwives would not play God and get us to the hospital if any emergency would have shown up. There's pretty much always signs, very rarely do they deal with true emergencies.

• Loading the player...
  • Who is planning on getting an amniocentesis? I know the odds of miscarriage are now only 1/1600, but I'm still nervous and would rather not do the procedure. I guess it's something I'll discuss with my doctor (especially because I'll be 35 when I deliver), but I wanted to know your thoughts on the subject.
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• C/P from the AMA thread 
    @elle-0409 unless things have changed within the last two years, amnios are the last step. You should get a screen, then if it comes back positive or high risk, you move on to discussing amnio. NIPTs are becoming more mainstream for first tri screenings (note, insurance won’t always cover this), and certain insurances will require it or an NT to come back as high risk/positive before covering an amnio

~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Ladies, can I selfishly get some reassurance from STMs? I don't feel that digging feeling in my stomach anymore and no other symptoms except the lack of period. Is that normal? I always imagined that one would "know or feel" pregnant. 

I'm dedicated to only taking a test every other day so I didn't pee on anything today, but yesterday's line was control line dark still.
  • @marbellie totally nornal! Symptoms come and go. They get more consistent around 6-8w, peak at 10-12w, then usually start to subside (I say usually because mine last well into 2nd tri)
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @marbellie -- I agree with @cmbt2 and @ceclarlinetlo... Sometimes you just get lucky and things are easy and symptoms are light. It can be anxiety-inducing for sure, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. <3

Also, since you're still testing, don't forget that line darkness is not necessarily diagnostic of hCG levels. If you have one that's a little lighter one day, it could be due to a lot of factors outside your control (like your urine being more dilute or the individual test itself having less dye). :smile: If you need the extra reassurance, your doc may be willing to order some beta hCG tests for you, so you can see that it's progressing.
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @marbellie totally normal!! With DD I had pretty much zero symptoms, my first tri was a breeze. Try not to worry! 
  • crbpkcrbpk member
    edited February 2019
    @lbedolla
    I’ve had 2 home births and will be doing it with this baby. I’m extremely healthy and had zero problems throughout pregnancies. It’s really hard physically and mentally but you can totally do it with the right team and a partner that is supportive. I think the key is finding a midwife with a lot of experience and talk to women who have had births with her. You need to find someone you trust wholeheartedly. 
  • @marbellie If it makes you feel better, I'm very much in the same boat - I've been lurking all the previous boards to follow gals without symptoms from week to week to ensure the pregnancy is progressing normally. Ugh. I hate even admitting that. It's really hard when you're not experiencing MS (and other major symptoms), but everything I've read supports what others have mentioned above, it's totally normal!
  • @cdnrunning & @marbellie, I'm in the same boat with feeling pretty much zero in terms of symptoms. I felt some things last week, but yesterday and today, I feel nothing. Completely normal! It's definitely scary and the source of a lot of anxiety. I'm sorry you guys are feeling the same, but hopefully that means it's totally normal and no big deal for any of us! ❤
  • @galentine @marbellie @cdnrunning Count me in too for feeling little to no symptoms. I remember this when I was PG with DS (actually went back to my first post in my BMB - accidentally posted in PGAL because I had no clue what the acronyms were) and I feel almost exactly the same! I may feel slightly less anxious by knowing this but I don't think I felt 100% until after my first ultrasound (and even then it still took time to feel more at ease... if ever!!).
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• @marbellie that’s how they trick you into having more than one pregnancy 😉 My first was a breeze and they just keep getting harder! 
  • @marbellie that’s how they trick you into having more than one pregnancy 😉 My first was a breeze and they just keep getting harder! 
    Idk, haha. My first was pretty much symptom-free (I had one day of nausea, but whatever). Pregnancy for my secondborn was a nausea-fest for the whole first trimester, and then SPD later on which sucked, haha. This time, other than a bit of heartburn and sore boobs, both of which are intermittent, things seem to be pretty low on symptoms again. Every pregnancy is unique, I guess!
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @ceclarlinetlo Just wanted to say I had an emergency c-section with my first and a planned with my second. Night and day difference. The planned c-section was so smooth and quick and recovery was way easier. I went into it with a lot of fear because of how traumatic the emergency section was, but it was short and sweet and I had my baby in my arms within a couple hours of arriving at the hospital. 
  • @brownbarista thank you for sharing that! 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @galentine when I'm not feeling any symptoms I just tell myself, "oh, so THIS is how some women on TV didn't know they were pregnant until 6months in" 😂😂 
    I know a woman who had twins in March and then a singleton the following January. She didn’t find out she was pregnant until 28w! 😳 she went in for a dating scan, thinking she was 6-8w, and surprise!!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 That is crazy! Did she have spotting or something? My mother was 20 weeks when she found out with my older brother, because she had spotting all throughout and just assumed it was AF. She said she was not prepared for her second pregnancy (when she found out at 6 weeks) because the first was so short! :)
  • @cmbt2 That is crazy! Did she have spotting or something? My mother was 20 weeks when she found out with my older brother, because she had spotting all throughout and just assumed it was AF. She said she was not prepared for her second pregnancy (when she found out at 6 weeks) because the first was so short! :)
    She has an autoimmune disorder that and her doctor didn’t listen to her when she complained, dismissed the complaints as being related to the disorder. To top it all off, she also was an IF veteran. It’s such a crazy story!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • My youngest is only 3.5 but pregnancy feels like forever ago! Tomorrow I have my first appointment for confirmation of pregnancy. Ill be 5w3d.  Do they do blood work at this visit? I can't remember! Or maybe they give me a script to make an appt with a lab? We leave saturday for vacation for a week so I just assumed I wouldn't get any tests done until I was back (ill be around 7w at that point).  What did everyone else early appointments look like?
  • jd614 said:
    My youngest is only 3.5 but pregnancy feels like forever ago! Tomorrow I have my first appointment for confirmation of pregnancy. Ill be 5w3d.  Do they do blood work at this visit? I can't remember! Or maybe they give me a script to make an appt with a lab? We leave saturday for vacation for a week so I just assumed I wouldn't get any tests done until I was back (ill be around 7w at that point).  What did everyone else early appointments look like?
    It depends on the office. With my first, I got a script to go to the lab. With my second, they did it in the office. This time around, it’ll be postponed until 12w because I had a rhogam shot last month
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    Can I be the odd ball who actually enjoyed her induction way more than her non-inducted labor? 
    Hello! I just introd today. :) 

I agree in a way. I was induced with both, but in very different ways. With my son, they ripened my cervix with Cervadil, and by the time they took it out he was already hanging out and I was 6cm dilated (!!!) so they just broke my water and off I went, no Pitocin. I was in labor for a full day and pushed for just over 2 hours. Ouch. Exhausting. I couldn't push well because I was so tired.

But with my daughter I was already ripe and contracting irregularly every ten minutes or so, so they turned on some Pitocin to get my contractions going--much more painful, much faster contractions with a smaller break between, but (as second labors often are) it was SO MUCH FASTER than my first. Plus I got nitrous oxide, which was was amazing. (Note: I was induced for preeclampsia both times, explaining why they induced when I was already showing some signs of early labor. Better out than in!) 

Of course this time I'm hoping for no induction at all, so fingers crossed...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • elle-0409 said:
    Who is planning on getting an amniocentesis? I know the odds of miscarriage are now only 1/1600, but I'm still nervous and would rather not do the procedure. I guess it's something I'll discuss with my doctor (especially because I'll be 35 when I deliver), but I wanted to know your thoughts on the subject.
    Hi, I'm new here. :) 

I would not unless there was a specific reason. Why take even a small risk for little reward? Like, my first was born with a clubfoot, meaning my future kids have an elevated risk for one, but because it is a correctable condition I wouldn't want to add to the risk just to know, if that makes sense. I would have to weigh the risk, even a relatively small one like 1/1600, against what the risk would be of NOT doing it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @wintersong I was also already contracting when I got induced with DS2. They were irregular—I spent over a month in prodromal labor with him. They were going to induce me a few days before my EDD anyway, if they didn’t pick up, at the MFM’s instruction that I absolutely not be allowed to hit 40 weeks.

When I was admitted and hooked up, they go “are you feeling these?” 🤣 I was already at 3cm and 50-60%, but I made very little improvement by the following morning. I know a few women who went into to triage, labored for hours, and then got induced for no progress. It’s pretty common from what I’ve seen, to be honest 🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • I was at the thrift store and bought this today anyone read it? If so how do you like it?
  • Good to know!  I do CrossFit 4x week and I was hoping I didn’t have to give it up.  I know I’ll need to make some modifications once a bump starts growing but I heard most exercises are Ok for the first 20 weeks?
  • @jane101757 I do CrossFit as well about 3x a week. There is a girl at my gym who is still working out at 8months! She modifies most excerices especially the last few months. She is definitely encouraging that it can be done 
  • @theearlymajority I have a 2.5 year old and he is always wanted to lay on me/jump on my. It doesn’t make me nervous yet, but right now certain areas are sensitive like my boobs so I just move him when it’s uncomfortable. 

@elle-0409 I told my family, husbands family and 3 of my closest girlfriends when I found out. My Husband and I did IVF and all of those people were actively following us in our journey. I tend to be an open book. We don’t plan on telling other people until we are in the “safe zone”. We’ll probably put it on social media once we find out the gender. I have no idea how we’ll announce this baby, but it will definitely involve our DS in some way. 

Here is is my question. Our 2.5 year old in newly potty trained and we are working on him being able to sleep alone and hopefully get rid of his chupi(soother) soonish. He will be barely 3 when this baby comes. Did anyone’s toddler revert back to baby ways when their new sibling arrived? 
  • @wine_mama16 yes and no. My situation isn’t your typical one (DS1 is ASD). He wanted out of his room more during sleep hours (he’s been in his own room since a month), He wanted less to do with me and more with DH. He became difficult at daycare drop off again and more clingy. He was nonverbal so potty training wasn’t an issue. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @wine_mama16 maybe exchange his soother for just a regular stuffed animal. My 4 year old sleeps with a bed full of buddies, but his one giraffe is cuddled every night and the one we have to take on trips. I don’t see a problem with sleeping with something for comfort.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @wanderlost I have some women at my gym doing CrossFit pregnant too; they’re amazing!  I hope to keep it up for as long as I can 🙌🏻  Staying physically healthy throughout pregnancy is a goal of mine.  
  • Hi all!  Looking for recommendations on pregnancy books (other than What to Expect).  What book are helpful?  Which ones did you enjoy?  Which ones do you recommend for a FTM?
  • emily1052 said:
    Hi all!  Looking for recommendations on pregnancy books (other than What to Expect).  What book are helpful?  Which ones did you enjoy?  Which ones do you recommend for a FTM?
    This was hands down my favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Day-Pediatrician-Explores-Childbirth/dp/0692220216
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @cmbt2 I am reading Expecting Better right now and really enjoying it. I like having all of the studies laid out like that so I can make decisions for myself. 
  • emily1052 said:
    Hi all!  Looking for recommendations on pregnancy books (other than What to Expect).  What book are helpful?  Which ones did you enjoy?  Which ones do you recommend for a FTM?
    I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth as a FTM and think it's great. Really empowering. I'll be reading it again this time around. My sister (with 5 babies) recommended Birthing From Within, too, but I haven't yet read that one.

Definitely seconding Wonder Weeks, though.
  • Ok everyone today marks exactly 5 weeks since my LMP and I found out I was pregnant 10 days ago..my husband and I have been over the moon! But just a couple hours ago I went to the bathroom and noticed blood in the toilet... not a lot but fair to moderate amount... I’m freaking out and so scared of miscarriage... my midwife is sending me in to have my hcg levels tested tomorrow and then I’ll go back to retest on Thursday. What sort of numbers should I be hoping for tomorfos ? I have no clue I just know the numbers are supposed to Double every 2 days .