September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series! Pillows & Sleep Gear for Mama :: 2/1

Our Product Spotlight continues! Just worked on the spreadsheet (link below) a bit to make this our last week before we start with registry essentials.

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on these threads throughout your time at the board, not just during its week in the spotlight, if you discover something new/are new to the board. This week we're talking.... Pillows! & Anything else that helps us sleep! Inspired by a question in our great question thread.

You can use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you would like. This time, I also threw in some general questions about sleeping as it seems this sort of self-evaluation might help you choose the right pillow if you're in the market for one!

For all...

• Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward?
  • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG)
  • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!)
  • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward?

For STM/STM+...

• What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? (inflatable, u-shaped, body, wedge?)
  • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you?
Just wanted to throw this out there: TB has a "10 Best Pregnancy Pillows" post.

Thanks to all who participate, & esp. our STM/+s for sharing their wealth of knowledge through experience!
To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: S19 PSS Spreadsheet!
Big thanks to the January 2019 BMB I stole the spreadsheet/format idea from.

p.s. I know it's still technically Thursday night & this post normally goes up Friday--shhh. <3

Re: Product Spotlight Series! Pillows &amp; Sleep Gear for Mama :: 2/1

• Options
    So glad we’re doing this one now 🖤

• Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward?
    I think I might be a hybrid back/stomach sleeper. I fall asleep on my right side but with my top (so left) leg on the bed with my knee bent. I probably need a between the legs pillow. 
    • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG)
    Non pregnant me would take melatonin sometimes. Now that I’m KU, I’ve been drinking a small glass of warm milk or almond milk before bed sometimes. I plan to ask my OB about the melatonin. 
    • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!)
    Trying to cut off screen time an hour before bed, but I’ve been barking up that tree for years haha. 
    I’m just looking for a comfortable pillow situation! We have a memory foam mattress and pillows, which I love, but I know I’m going to need something to support my belly since I end up partially on my stomach. I’m also going to have to start sleeping on my left side. This might involve a switch of bed sides with DH because I’d be facing him if I slept on my left side now and can’t fall asleep that way. 

• Options
    • Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward? I sleep on my side AND on my back
    • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG) NADA. I don't sleep anymore. 
    • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!) Getting in bed a lot earlier than I used to in effort to get some rest between bathroom trips and waking up from nausea.
    • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward? Ummm, I'd just like to start sleeping through the night.
    My SIL (mother of 3) got me a snoogle. Obviously, a little early for this, but was looking for opinions. She said this is the best body pillow for pregnancy. Anybody have any experience using it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As someone who sleeps on my right and on my belly, I already started switching it and trying to get used to sleeping on my left (not as easy as it sounds). 

Drinking some tea before bed, and/or taking a shower is helping me wind down. I’ve already started waking up 2-4 times a night and have just accepted it. 

I have the snoogle and loved it the first time around. Will probably use it again when I start feeling uncomfortable. Having something you can put between your thighs is essential for all the sacrum/pelvis issues that will start flaring up later on ;) 

• Options
    I'm typically a side sleeper. 

I had the snoogle with DS. It was okay. I felt like it helped but it wasn't the lifesaver for me like it was for some. 

I definitely second having a pillow for between your legs/knees.

• Options
    I'm most comfortable on my back most of the time, but I have memory foam knee pillow for my hips as I have lots of problems with them. I had a Snoogle last time and it helped, but it goes flat so easily.  I really wish someone made a Memory Foam Pregnancy Pillow that wrapped around like the Snoogle.  If anyone knows of something like that, please let me know.
  • Options
    • Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward? I'm a side sleeper - always have been.  I've been noticing already that my hips get sore very quickly when I'm sleeping and I find myself switching from side to side super often in the night, and by midnight or so, both sides are sore and sleep is shot.
    • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG) I always sleep with a pillow between my knees.  Thinking I need to get a body pillow so I can support between the thighs/knees AND under the belly.
    • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!)  Not yet... but I need to soon.  RIGHT before I got the BFP my doc prescribed trazadone to help me sleep.  Never got to take a single one.
    • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward?  I just wish I could SLEEP!  I finally get to sleep at 530/6am, and then the hubs wakes up to go to work, and then the toddler starts shouting for me to get her out of her bed, and UGH it's the WORST having to get up when you finally just fell asleep.

For STM/STM+...

• What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? (inflatable, u-shaped, body, wedge?)  I used to have one of those giant U shaped ones.  It's good for a couple nights but I found it to be too huge for me, especially needing to flip side to side a million times a night. 
    • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you?  I think I'm going to get a Boppy pillow or a more C/straight one and see if that helps.  
  • Options
    STM here— I definitely recommend the snoogle! It was a life saver. It is big so it takes a little getting used to having it in bed but it helped me sleep so much. I will be using it again. I was always most comfortable sleeping on my side last pregnancy. I couldn’t breathe when I slept on my back, and it’s also not recommended later in pregnancy.
  • Options
    How early do some of you start sleeping with a pregnancy pillow? I'm debating on if I want to try and find one I like now or just keep tucking regular pillows around me. 
    Also, anybody else have a super cuddly spouse? 
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 OMG - I started sleeping with one weeks ago!! I sleep with a pillow between my knees normally anyway (non-pregnant), so I figured why not.  I didn't go with one of those big honkin' things - at least not yet - but have SO appreciated the extra body support in the night.

+1 to the spouse who wants to snuggle all the time.  -1 to wanting to engage.  Sorry, hubs.
  • Options
    One word. Snoogle!
  • Options
    @cheshyre319 I'm using the boppy wedge pillow. It's not much of a pillow but that's why I got it; I need something and no way do I want a huge hot regular pillow (what I did last time) propped around me unless absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    I want a pillow but I don't want my legs super bent. It seems like the snoogle would be uncomfortable if you weren't all wrapped up in it?? @septoctkids
  • Options
    I used the snoogle with my first pregnancy and was a fan. I haven't broken it out yet because my 2.5 year old ends up in our bed every night and she wants to snuggle right on top of me so I feel like the snoogle would be too cumbersome to be in bed with us... instead I use about 4 king sized pillows in various positions behind my shoulders, neck, side, and one between my knees.

In terms of products, I suffer from pretty bad Restless Leg Syndrome (I always have it to some degree but pregnancy puts it on overdrive!!). I ordered at the recommendation of someone on here, this magnesium lotion which has been a true life saver. https://8sheep.com/products/sleepylotion?variant=17595301331044 I have actually been able to fall asleep at night and while I do have to reapply it to my one leg some nights after maybe 5-6 hours, its been a miracle worker. It is expensive though and I've gone through much of my 8oz jar already, so I was researching similar products and found this one that I just ordered (it has a 20% coupon & free shipping so it came out to less than half the price of the 8 sheep). Once it arrives I'll report back to see if it works as well as the other! https://www.earthley.com/product/good-night-lotion/ the key ingredients of magnesium and lavender are the same so I am hopeful! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options

Mostly a side sleeper, back every once in a while but that will chance once I start getting bigger. 
    Snoooooooooooogle!  I haven’t pulled it out yet but I love my Snoogle. The only criticism I have of it is that the cover is poly which doesn’t breathe and the summer can get a bit too warm. But if you can find a cotton cover or sew one yourself it’s great. 
    Not yet but if this insomnia continues going to have to do something. 
    Pregnancy sleeping I’m not too worried about. It’s the newborn night feedings and sleep adjustment that always gets me. 

For STM/STM+...

• What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? (inflatable, u-shaped, body, wedge?)
    Snooooooooooogle!!!!  It’s a body pillow that’s a u on the top then dog legs in the bottom. Love it. 
    • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you?
    Snoooooooooogle!  
  • Options
    To everyone who suggested the Snoogle: THANK YOU. 

My MIL bought me one yesterday and last night was the first time I've slept soundly since February. Consider me a believer! 
  • Options
    Does anyone know whether you can test different maternity pillows out at mattress stores or elsewhere? I hate to commit to a big purchase without knowing whether it will help. But also sleeping at night would be really nice.
  • Options
    @mamabear2204 not sure but amazon is great with returns. 
  • Options
    sunshine2417sunshine2417 member
    edited March 2019
    • Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward? I alternate between basically everything, but love being on my back or 3/4 of the way onto my stomach. Side sleeping is killing these hips already this pregnancy!
    • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG) Due to all-day-sickness I take a unisom and B6. The unisom definitely helps me sleep better... aaaaannnnd my pregnancy pillow described below.
    • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!) STOP drinking water at least an hour before bedtime! It really helps to limit the number of trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night... 
    • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward? I've been sleep deprived for 2 years (toddler) plus his whole pregnancy... I'm regularly concerned about not getting enough sleep now and moving forward and basically just forever! lol

For STM/STM+...

• What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? (inflatable, u-shaped, body, wedge?) U-shaped pregnancy pillows for liiiiiife! It makes it easier to switch from side to side and helps so you can get a little more onto your belly instead of totally on your hips all night. They also have a little "bump in" that can go under your belly. So so so highly recommended
    • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you? Sadly I don't recall the brand as I've actually had this for about 5-6 years... yes, well before DS or marriage or any pregnancy lol
    ETA: I hiiiiiighly recommend prenatal massages to help work out those hips from all the side-sleeping too! ;-)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker