Breastfeeding

Ladies in need of night time help!!

mcgeevamcgeeva member
edited February 2019 in Breastfeeding
Okay I’m feeling completely confused and frustrated! My baby was born December 16 and had been a breastfeeding champ. She spits up and projectile spitups all day long but still is gaining a good amount. I have a fast letdown so that has been a little bit of an issue trying not to gag her so I’ll try laying back etc. 

Now on to my question. I have moved up her bed time since she seems to be getting fussy and over tired. Right now I try to do her last feed at 8-8:30 but the past three nights when I try to feed her she is freaking out. Screaming crying, angry sucks for a second then starts wailing again and it’s to the point I can’t get her to eat at all. She’s frustrated I’m frustrated to the point I want to cry since I feel she needs that good feed to sleep well. She does cluster feed up to bed time. She ate at 4, 6 and 7. What in the heck and I’m doing wrong?!! Could I have missed her feeding window and forcing her?! This is number three that I have breastfed and I’m lost :/ 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

Re: Ladies in need of night time help!!

• Will she go to sleep without being nursed? You could try just putting her to bed at the earlier time and then doing a dream feed before you go to bed to hopefully help get her through the night. If she's tired at 8 and had just eaten at 7 she might just be getting angry that she's eating and not sleeping. If she needs the sucking motion to self soothe, perhaps a pacifier instead of feeding.

Also, for a fast letdown it can sometimes be helpful to pump a little off before feeding LO so that they don't experience the overwhelming letdown. But if you've already got a work around, then disregard.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • mcgeevamcgeeva member
    edited February 2019
    Thank you for responding! She will but before we always nursed her than my husband laid her down. I will definitely try this tongiht. We did just put her in her crib this week to sleep and told my husband no letting her sleep on him to sit down so that is change there too.

My doctor mentioned the pump but it sounds like a ton of work to hook up Ge pump just to feed when she usually goes 0-60 pissed when hungry. Do you mean hand pump?

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Loading the player...
  • @mcgeeva I’d use a hand pump, just enough to take the initial force out of your letdown. They also make manual pumps like the haakaa that might work.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Okay sounds like I need to get one to try