Infertility

January 2019 IVF

Re: January 2019 IVF

• @Tulips29 I was actually heavily considering PGS (screening for the correct number of chromosomes) for our round but in the end, I decided against it. The genetics counselor at our institution said that it only increases succes chances for women 37 years and over (I’m a few years younger). That kinda made me think that the test must not be perfect if it didn’t increase my chances. So I did some reading and found that the 4-10 cells they remove from the blastocyst (which is only like 100 cells) might affect implantation, and also that false positives can occur so that healthy embryos are then unfortunately discarded as abnormal. No test is perfect and I’m sure some results are dependent upon how much experience the embryologist has, what assay is performed for chromosomal screening, and biology I guess. It’s such a personal choice. The links to a couple papers are below. 

https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(16)00046-7/pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011996/

• Here's an older thread from this board regarding some inconsistencies in the test, it's pretty interesting: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12707282/pgs-results-are-not-reliable-word-of-caution-own-experience-literature
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi all! I have a question. 
    I had my egg retrieval almost two weeks ago (very good recovery, no complications luckily). They retrieved 7 eggs, 6 or them were mature. All 6 eggs fertilized, and 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. Is that a good sign? 
  • And, we are doing genetic testing. Now, we have to wait for two weeks. 
  • pgdwivfpgdwivf member
    edited February 2019
    @knottieb I think 5 is a great number to go for testing !!! 

On the PGS subject I wouldn't take the chance at my age with not testing, plus the PGD genetic screening is the reason we are going the ivf route. The thought that some of these embryos might be healthy is disturbing as we are taking their (genetics lab) word on these decisions.
    Me and DH 44
    I am a genetic carrier using PGD testing
    Dec 2018 ER = 0 PGS normal embryos
    Jan 2019 ER = 1 PGD/ PGS normal embryo, 1 carrier embryo, 1 no result
    April 2019 Hysteroscopy to remove polyp and Fibroid
    May 2019 FET = BFN
    September 2019 FET = BFN
    Dec 2019 ER = 1 carrier embryo 
    Mar ER = 0 PGS normal embryos
    July 2020 ER = 0 PGS normal embryos
    October 2020 Hysteroscopy to remove polyps
    Nov 2020 FET = positive (little one due July 2021)
  • Yeah. I agree. I wanted to increase the chances of success and having a healthy baby as much as I could. 

Im excited and scared at the same time! First time going thorough this process 
  • Tulips29Tulips29 member
    edited February 2019
    @somewhereinnyc that’s really interesting, I haven’t thought about this before. Now I’m really worried about having less embryos if some are discarded for whatever reason. Eek!

I had my retrieval this morning. They got 19 eggs so now we wait until tomorrow to find out how many are mature. I’m having some anxiety and flashbacks to my first retrieval 3 years ago when they got 19 eggs as well and then by transfer time there was only 1 normal one. I’m terrified this will happen again and I’ll have to go through this process all over again. At least recovery is going ok and I’ve just been napping for most of the afternoon trying not to think about this too much. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @Tulips29 Congrats on a successful retrieval, 19 - awesome!!! Rest and relax.

AFM: We got our day 3 report yesterday. 2 embryos are 8 cells, grade 5; 2 embryos are 8 cells, grade 3. We are going to a clinic in Mexico, their grading scale is 1-5 with 5 being the highest. So we are super thrilled with the report. Fingers crossed day 5 brings good news! 

More than likely we will tell them today that we do NOT want to proceed with the PGS tests after all. If we had a bunch of embryos to pick from we would do it so we would know which ones to try first, but we don't have much to pick from so we're just going for it. My OBGYN told me yesterday that the PGS test has value but that it's definitely an upsell and that she'll run NIPT and CVS tests during pregnancy to check for essentially the same abnormalities that the PGS test does. So for us and our situation, we feel better forgoing it. 
  • How’s everyone who transferred doing? When are your test dates?
  • @yankeebelle77 I did a cycle in Oct/Nov so I went to both of those boards.

I haven't checked in for a while.. I found out this past Sunday that my cycle was a fail/canceled. I didn't respond at all. It all just seems so hopeless now with any chances of using my own eggs - two failed cycles now with zero eggs.  My partner and I were in agreement before we started treatment with stopping after three cycles. Now I wonder if I will want to stop after three. Sometimes I think I won't ever want to stop as long and someone says there is a chance, however small.  We are now arguing about when enough is enough - how many times do we do the same thing with the same results before deciding it's just not ever going to work? We had the donor egg discussion and I don't know if I could ever be OK with that.  I could maybe be OK with embryo donation.  We consulted with another RE and have another consultation scheduled next week. I don't know where we go from here. 

Good luck to everyone with their cycles.
  • @ah80 I am do sorry to hear your bad news. That is a very difficult situation and I'm very sorry to have to have those conversations. Dh and I have pretty much settled on 3 cycles and if not then we are likely going to look at the adoption route. 
    But I completely understand you wanting to never stop if there is hope. Thinking of you. 
  • @ah80 I’m so sorry to hear. I hope you and your partner find a solution that you are comfortable with, as well as success in this journey sooner rather than later. Egg or embryo adoption still gives you a baby that is yours without any legal issues, and new studies say that RNA from the woman carrying the fetus does influence fetal genes, and that they think babies start to know their mother’s voice while still in the womb..
  • #TMI 
    I am currently 9 days post transfer and last night I had spotting (more like AF) and cramps so I caved in and took a hpt this morning. It was negative. I am debating if it is worth doing the bloodwork tomorrow or we should just call this cycle done. I have had AF like cramps for 2 days now and the negative hpt now (it was the sensitive kind, first response). 
    Has anyone had such symptoms in any of their cycles? 
  • @sbhawnani I’m so sorry to hear that :-( it’s 5 days after transfer for me and I’ve got nothin in terms of symptoms (maybe some light cramping but I think it’s the progesterone shots). Maybe you can call the clinic and tell them what you wrote here and see if they still need to draw your blood?
  • I called my clinic and they had me go in for a blood test this morning. I have now graduated to a complete period. Not sure how that would happen with the progesterone and estrogen that I am taking. This cycle is a no go for us. Waiting for the results so that the doctor can tell us our next course of action. We do not have any embryos on ice so we will have to do a complete cycle if we decide to go for another one. I am just exhausted at this point and clueless about what it takes. I did my best and everything looked so promising until yesterday. 
  • @sbhawnani I'm sorry for your sad news. Take some time to rest and think about your options. Thinking of you. 
  • @sbhawnani I’m so sorry this cycle didn’t work for you. I know it can be devastating putting in all that work to end up with these results. You are in my thoughts.
    An update for me: Went in for my first follow up since retrieval yesterday. Ovaries are still too large and there is still a lot of fluid floating around. I won’t make the February FET calendar so my transfer has been scheduled for March 11th. Doctor told me to keep on the BCP until the 16th of this month and hopefully it will help. I’m I going back on the 15th for another lining check and hopefully start estrogen then.
  • @sbhawnani big creepy cyber hug. So sorry to hear this..

@ashcash03 bummer about the delay but I hear sometimes an FET is more successful. Enjoy your time off. Drink lots of caffeine and booze and eat all the sugar!

As as for me, my beta is scheduled in 4 days and I definitely don’t “feel” pregnant. They transferred 1 blastocyst on Wednesday and froze 5 (no PGS and no option for double embryo transfer- I’m 33). Today I had my third brief melt down of the cycle due to some pink stuff down there (sorry). I’m blaming the hormones. If this cycle is negative, we’re debating between doing one more embryo banking cycle right after this one or just going to FET. 
  • @sbhawnani I'm so sorry girl! But hoping for a miracle and some good news for you! 

@somewhereinnyc hormones can really mess with you. Don't read too much into the symptoms or lack thereof. Are you planning to test at home or waiting until blood test?

@ashcash03 if we have any embryos to transfer, I will likely be in the March cycle too with ya. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @tulips29 I hope you have embryos to transfer!!

Ugh good advice but easier said than done!! I think we are doing a first response tomorrow morning. I was not planning on it initially but it may help with planning for what happens after my beta on Friday.. 
  • Sorry to be the bazillionth person asking but.. how do you post a spoiler?
  • thank you everyone :smile:
    We will evaluate our options and then pursue the one that makes the most sense. This has been such a wonderful journey with you girls. I wish all the very best to everyone and courage to the ones repeating. 
  • Tulips29Tulips29 member
    edited February 2019
    @somewhereinnyc when you post click the little paragraph button right above the box where you type the response and select spoiler. You can highlight whatever text you want in the spoiler the same way. 

Ughh im so upset. Got the call today that out of 12 mature eggs only 4 fertilized. This is my last retrieval repeating all over again. Now these 4 are off for PGS testing and I’m terrified that none will come back normal. This process is giving me so much anxiety again! :cry:

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 I'm sorry for you not so great news. And I'm sorry this is bringing out anxiety. I understand the anxiety. I'm anxious for results and the two and I haven't even had my retrieval yet. Hoping and praying your results come back normal. Remember it only takes 1. 
  • @Tulips29 so 4 made it to blastocyst and were sent off for pgs? I thought they only test the ones at blastocyst stage? If that’s the situation, your results are normal and there’s lots of hope for a few pgs normals! 

I feel bad posting this when there’s been so much not great news on this thread lately, but maybe it’ll give ppl some hope. See the spoiler
    I peed on sticks yesterday and they were positive!! I have my beta tomorrow so I’m hoping and praying for a strong and sticky lil guy or gal.

• Congratulations @somewhereinnyc !!!! I'm so happy for you!!

• @ACAC25 thank you for the encouragement. I hope for normal results as well! 

@somewhereinnyc AH, that's SO exciting to even see a positive hpt test! FX for a great beta tomorrow!!!
    So I had 19 eggs from retrieval, then they told me the next day that out of the 19 only 15 were mature and 12 were able to fertilize. Then we waited 6 days to see how they would grow and only 4 made it to day 6. Which means the other 8 didn't grow, died along the way. Now I'm just worried that some of he 4 will come back as abnormal, or even worse they all come back as abnormal. I'll give a bit of a history on this in spoiler as there's a trigger warning too.
    During my last retrieval, they also got 19 eggs, then only 10 fertilized, 7 made it to PGS and 1 came back as normal for transfer. 1 more was undetermined which was re-tested, but not available at the time of transfer. This was a case of "it only takes one" as that normal one resulted in my 2 year old. So I keep telling myself it only takes one. The 1 that was re-tested came back as normal and we transferred it last year, which resulted in a failed FET. It scares me that this retrieval is following a similar trend...19 to 12 to 4 to ???. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 I also have 4 going for PGS/PGD (out of 23 ret 17 fert this 2nd round) I am cautiously optimistic but believe it is not in my hands at this point.  Praying for the best for us and ALL the ladies here ;-)

It just takes 1!
    Me and DH 44
    May 2019 FET = BFN
    September 2019 FET = BFN
  • @pgdwivf you're right, it's totally out of our control and all we can do is pray and hope that everything works out! I'll be hoping for good results for you as well. When do you find out? 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 when they re-biopsy, does that mean the embryo has to go through the thaw again and more cells are taken? That sounds rough on the poor little thing!

4 blastocysts are great! Keep your head up, each cycle is different. Even if there’s only 1 normal, that’s still great odds at a live birth!
  • @somewhereinnyc hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps? Maybe that's why it didn't implant. Who knows. I've spent too much time wondering about it and the RE said it could have been a number of reasons that are explainable. This whole process is so fascinating, but so confusing at the same time. And you're right. I'll keep thinking positive for good results :smile:

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• pgdwivfpgdwivf member
    edited February 2019
    @Tulips29 can be anytime over the next 3weeks (last time it took 23 days). They don't give an exact date. How about you? Praying for graduating to the FET board!

somewhereinnyc Thank you! Your correct 4 blasts is a huge success (had 2 blasts last round). 1 PGS/PGD normal will be the answer to my prayers.  
    Me and DH 44
    May 2019 FET = BFN
    September 2019 FET = BFN
  • ACAC25ACAC25 member
    edited February 2019
    Hey ladies, I had my retrieval yesterday. Everything went fine and I'm feeling pretty good just a little sore. 
    Dr gave us the go ahead for no restriction in sexual activity which I thought was odd but am happy about. 
    Just got our numbers. 13 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized for sure. 1 they are watching until tomorrow just in case it fertilizes. We had ISCI. 
    I'm feeling pretty happy with our numbers. I'm expecting another call tomorrow with more information on how the embryos are doing and how many are still dividing. I think I just shifted from being anxious about today to being anxious about tomorrow, does the anxiety ever go away? 🙄  transfer will be Tuesday 12th. 
  • Hi All,

I had blood test day 11. Negative. Depressing but ready to try again. Already off progesterone and waiting for AF and starting  process for frozen transfer. They are saying next transfer probably will be around beginning of April. Good news is I have 5 embryos frozen with 3 of them AA. I’m transferring two next time. Hopeful April is my month.

Best of Luck to everyone! 
  • @ellis1983 so sorry to hear that. That’s awesome about the 5 frozens ❄️! Wishing you the best this April 
  • @ellis1983 I'm sorry to hear your news. But 5 embryos frozen is a good number. Hoping April will be a great month for you! 

I just got another update today. We have 6 embryos still developing well. 2 are 4 cell with good morphology, 4 are 2-3 cell with a little fragmentation.  The Dr seems happy with our results and my transfer is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Hes thinking of transferring 3 embryos so fingers crossed they keep growing well.

I had a mini meltdown earlier. It's been a bit of a whirlwind and now seems so real. I'm dreading the TWW already. 
  • So I’ve had 2 betas now- first at 9dp5dt was 157 and I was over the moon. Today is 11dp5dt and the beta is 232. This is apparently not an acceptable rise and I’m pretty down. Will be going in 2 days later and I guess im just trying to emotionally prepare myself for bad news. Wish I had better news to share. 
  • @somewhereinnyc I'm sorry for your 2nd beta. I hope it's just developing slowly and your next beta will be better. 
  • @pgdwivf I should find out within 2 weeks as well. Prayers we both move over to the FET board soon! 

@ellis1983 I'm sorry about your news. I admire that you're being so positive and already thinking of your next cycle. All the prayers that April will be your month! 

@ACAC25 Tomorrow is the day for you! I'm curious on how your doctor decides how many embryos to transfer. Mine straight up told me right away he would never recommend more than 1 for me when I said I might want to try 2. A possible twin pregnancy he said would be too risky for me. But then I see other doctors transferring 3, so I'm always curious on everyone's approach. 

@somewhereinnyc I'm sorry your 2nd beta wasn't high enough. But there's still hope, right? Do you go in tomorrow for just a 3rd beta or will they also do an ultrasound? I have all my fingers crossed for better news for you tomorrow! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Thank you @ACAC25 and @Tulips29 ! Yah I guess I find out more tomorrow. I talked to my RE today (yesterday I spoke to the nurse) and my doc said that the increase was right on the border and tomorrow’s blood test should help them to see what’s going on. I’ll definitely update here. They also said that they won’t stop the progesterone as long as the numbers continue to increase and if I make it any farther, ultrasound early next week. 

@tulips29 hoping for you and some pgs normals!