July 2019 Moms

Recipes

Hi ladies!!! happy Monday! :)

Share with me recipes you've been making while pregnant. Looking to make some new nutritious stuff and I'm in such a rut. Thought I'd open the thread to share what we're making for quick lunches and dinners. My pregnancy brain can't even thinking of what I need for my groceries list right now haha

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Recipes

• I can tell you my meal plan for the week if that might help. 
    T: zucchini boats 
    W: pork chops and broccoli 
    TH: spaghetti squash 
    F: fajita stuffed chicken and cauliflower  rice 
  • That looks like my type of food. Right now im
    only cooking for hubby and I. We never eat out unless it’s special occasions and eat mainly non processed. I love those ideas!! Thank you for sharing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Tonight I made baked steelhead trout and a pesto pasta salad with halved cherry tomatoes and mini mozzarella chunks — I used a fresh store bought arugula hazelnut pesto and added some lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground pepper to brighten it up a little. 
  • I made homemade beef stroganoff last night. I finally found an amazing recipe and it was a big hit. 

Toonight I will be crockpot bbq shredded chicken. I also have hamburgers on this weeks menu.

• Er... I'm not certain necessarily that any of these are super "nutritious" but I think as part of a balanced meal, these are super delicious. Easy to add a side vegetable of some kind. Some of them have veggies built in, so adding fruit as dessert, etc. 

One Pan Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies - easy, I put less potatoes in.

Apricot Dijon Glazed Salmon - I make this with risotto and greenbeans. You could serve over quinoa like in the photo for a double protein boost.

Sizzling Red Lentil Soup - okay, so this is very good for you, and so so delicious.

Spicy White Cheddar Chili - great if you want a less greasy, chili sans red meat.

Lemon Orzo Meatball Soup - Hubby especially liked this.

Side dishes:

Lemon Green Beans with Feta and Pecans - I love love love this.
  • My favorite thing ever is Crockpot Salsa Chicken. Some chicken breasts, jar of salsa, and taco seasoning. 8 hours on low then shred chicken. It's sooo tasty and you can eat it in tacos, burritos, taco salad, nachos, etc.
  • I'd love to start making a freezer meal stash in my third trimester. I have a few freezer recipes but would love to hear more!

You can easily make a chili recipe freezable if you brown the meat, let it cool, then add it to a gallon size Ziploc bag with all of your other chili ingredients. Let thaw overnight the day before you want to cook it, then crockpot low for 8 hours. (You can also make it in the Instant Pot, but you may need to add water so it doesn't scorch.)

I have a family recipe for spaghetti sauce that I make in a big batch every two months or so. I freeze the leftover sauce in 2-cup containers and let one thaw in the fridge the night before I want spaghetti. Much healthier and cheaper than store-bought!
  • @quinniebear salsa chicken is my favorite go to when we're having company on a week night. It's so versatile! I've even used the chicken in tortilla soup or non-mexican dishes! 
  • you guys are awesome!!

mamanbebe yum! I love anything pesto

@key33 girl share that recipe!

foodislove  I seriously think I'm making that lentil soup tonight

quinniebear  I'm in desperate need of a crockpot, I feel like I'm the only one on earth that doesn't own one lol, I'd love to try that chicken recipe as hubby is not a fan of chicken breast because it's too dry but I have a feeling it comes out so tender with your recipe

@hestia14 I did not even think of that idea!! OMG, that's genius! definitely on my list to do on my last month off work before baby comes :)

• @hestia14
    There was a freezer meal article right here on TB with a bunch of great ideas!

https://www.thebump.com/a/freezer-meal-recipes

Also, I have a coworker with kids the same age as my kids.  We get together every couple months and do a meal-prep day and swap freezer meals with each other to mix it up!  We each make about a dozen meals and then swap them.  Most are crock pot meals in ziplocs, and some are casseroles which go in the oven.  I love it so much - we spend the day together cooking and prepping, while our girls play together!

We get a ton of recipes off of (what used to be called) New Leaf Wellness:

https://thefamilyfreezer.com/
  • kingdommomkingdommom member
    edited February 2019
    Have you ever tried sheet pan dinners on Pinterest? They are usually super easy and nutritious too! I did one recently that was fresh green beans, red potatoes and mini meatloaves. They all went on a sheet pan and got done at the same time! My current meal plan is this
    M-Casseole
    T-Taco night (It's not always tacos, tonight we're having enchiladas.  Or I might do a taco soup or casserole too)
    W-Leftovers
    Th-sheet pan dinner
    Fr-meat/veggies
    Sat-soup/bread

Then I change it up every so often. But I make out my grocery list every two weeks. Perusing my cookbooks or Pinterest for recipes that fit the catergories! Meal planning isn't my favorite,  but this does make it much simpler to really only plan every 2 weeks instead of every day!
  • kingdommom  I used sheet plans all the time when I was single , I almost forgot how easy they were!!

• Love this idea - hope to get some new recipes/ideas from yall!

I've been making a salad with cucumbers, kalamata olives, carrots, red bell peppers, and a vinaigrette - especially Trader Joe's Pear Vinaigrette! Simple and maybe more appropriate for summer, but I've been craving it nearly everyday.

I made this the other night and it was amazing - https://bonappetitbabyblog.com/2019/02/01/maple-mustard-pork-with-shallots/ . The sauce is white wine based and retains some flavor of wine, but all the alcohol is cooked off in case any of you are craving the taste of wine!

Also soup, perfect for winter right now - I have two different red lentil soups I enjoy.

• In my never-ending quest to find foods my picky AF 4 year old will eat, I made sloppy joes. What kid doesn't like sloppy joes? They were awesome. And of course you'd think I served her worms or something.  Even my 14 month old loved it. I sort of "deconstructed" them by dipping bun in the mixture and letting him eat it as a finger food. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-sloppy-joes-recipe4-1949927

Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • While I'm still thinking of freezer meals, here are some meal ingredients that can be frozen and used later. I started doing this when I had produce or meat in my house that I wasn't going to use before it went bad:

*Sliced bananas (for smoothies)
    *Chopped fresh vegetables (broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, etc)
    *Diced raw onion (comes in so handy!)
    *Raw or cooked ground beef or turkey
    *Raw or cooked diced chicken
    *Diced ham (for omelets)
    *Green onions (I still have a bag from the summer that's still good! I just snip it when I need some and put the bag back in the freezer)
    *Fresh herbs (same as green onions--I had a packet of dill that lasted me months)
    *Shredded hard cheese off the block like swiss or cheddar (shred the block into a ziploc bag and freeze. Toss onto tacos, soups, etc when needed.)
    *Citrus fruit wedges (freeze these on a piece of parchment paper first. Once frozen, throw them into a ziploc snack bag. I've only put these in infusion waters--not sure how well they would thaw to be used for juice.)
  • My go to blogs for recipes are Gimme Some Oven, Cooking Classy, and Damn Delicious. I have yet to make something from any of their recipes that I didn't love. Most of the, are quick, easy, and healthy too!
  • We just use Blue Apron for our meal plans. We’ve used it for I think almost 2 years. 
    I need to see if I can grab you all some of my favorites. My favorite fast ones are the stir fry dishes.