October 2019 Moms

February AMA Check-In

elle-0409elle-0409 member
edited February 2019 in October 2019 Moms
Pull up your portable CD player, tear out that poster of JTT from Tiger Beat Magazine, and let's chat!

1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?

2. How are you feeling?/Any appointments this week?

3. Any questions? Specific AMA concerns?

4. Rants/ raves?

5. GTKY: What is your favorite Super Bowl food? 

TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: February AMA Check-In

• 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? I'm 5W3D, baby is the size of a lavender bud.

2. How are you feeling?/Any appointments this week? It's weird because although I don't feel nauseated, I don't feel not-nauseated (if that makes sense). I had an appointment yesterday with my PCP confirming pregnancy. She told me that aside from age (I'll be 35 when I deliver) I was low-risk, so that made me feel better.

3. Any questions? Specific AMA concerns? I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. Any STM/STM +s have any advice for things to plan out in advance?

4. Rants/ raves? I just found out that I have to cover someone's shift tonight, which is obnoxious, but ultimately fine and I'm being a diva about it. I just keep thinking once MS hits, I'll probably need people to cover for me. :D

5. GTKY: What is your favorite Super Bowl food? Nachos with cheese sauce. Every. Single. Time. Oh my god, I want it right now! 

TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• @elle-0409 budgeting and child care plans if you won’t have a SAHP are two things you can do now. Depending on your location, you may have to secure a spot now if you need daycare 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, I pretty much read all threads outside of the breastfeeding one so I’ll be popping in to comment/give my opinions even though I don’t belong here 🤣
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • 1. I am 4w1d and baby is the size of a poppyseed. I also heard that baby is the length of the edge of a dime. So teeny!
    2. How am I feeling? Like crap 😂 I seriously have every pregnancy symptom ever! Puking several times a day, nausea, headaches, pelvic pain, insomnia, cramps, sore boobs, you name it I’ve got it!!  They started super early and I tested positive way earlier then I have in the past. A couple new symptoms this time around: vitamin taste and smell in my mouth 🤢 and feeling swollen in my lady bits. And you know what? I am thankful for all of it!
    3. So far I don’t have any questions or AMA concerns but @elle-0409 one thing I like to do to prepare is start doubling meals and freezing one of them. It makes life easier when you haven’t gotten to the store or don’t feel like cooking. 
    4. Rants/Raves? Is it just me or are people (husband/kids in particular) extra annoying and frustrating this week?!? 😆 dang these hormones making me irritable! 
    5. GTKY I LOVE all the dip!!! 
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? 

I'm 4W6D, so s/he's around the size of a sesame seed. Also, we've nicknamed the baby D'Artagnan so we don't have to just say "the baby" all the time, haha.

2. How are you feeling?/Any appointments this week?

I'm a little crampy, sleepy, touchy stomach, sore boobs, but nothing bad. It's early days though, I could be miserable in another week. My anxiety is pretty out of whack, I think that might be hormonal. I just had a PCP appointment to confirm things and get a few tests, and he pissed me off royally, glad he's not my normal doctor...

c.gardner37 I'm definitely planning to start freezing meals down the road, it'll be so worth it that first month. And all those symptoms at 4W1D?? You poor thing!!

4. Rants/ raves?

Idiot doctor I saw today asked me three times if I actually meant to get pregnant, like he couldn't believe I'd do it on purpose at 38. And the 2nd words out his mouth were "you know this is a high-risk pregnancy, right?" I know the chromosomal problems that can arise and that there is a tiny increase in things like preterm labor, but I'm healthier than the overwhelming majority of the people in his waiting room, so no, I don't thing my age is much of an issue, but thanks for trying to freak me out in the first 2 secs... Oh, and he made me wait two hours even though I was the first person there in the morning and the second scheduled for the whole day, and he talked to me for a whole 5 minutes. Sorry, still annoyed... 

Nachos maybe? I don't really watch football, I'll admit it, but I might tune in for the commercials.

Me: 38 FI: 37 Together since March 2011
    TTC #1 since June 2018
  • **lurking, I am not AMA

@tinybluesprite, I just have to say a big old WTF to that doctor! I cannot believe he said all that to you. I would be very attempted to report his inappropriate comments. I'm so sorry you had to deal with him.
  • @tinybluesprite I’m so glad that’s not your normal dr! Yes there’s more testing etc. but if you’re  healthy, you’re  healthy! 
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? 4w+1 based on LMP

2. How are you feeling?/Any appointments this week? I am tired but luckily feeling pretty good otherwise. I am dreading the nausea which is sure to hit soon. 

Not really, just need to book my early ultrasound so make sure this pregnancy progresses this time around. I’ll be 39 in a few months so time is not on my side in this respect.

4. Rants/ raves? I’m over winter! 

No super bowl for me but nachos or a good spicy queso dip sounds good right about now. 
  • 1. Five weeks, 1 day, my baby is the size of an apple seed.
    2.  How are you feeling/ any appointments this week?
    I feel like crap at work, nausea and some lightheadedness.  At home I'm more tired than usual and still some nausea.
    3.  Any questions?  Specific AMA concerns?
    I have concerns, this the first time I've been pregnant and I'm very worried about miscarriage and chromosomal abnormalities.
    4. Rants/ raves? I am also done with winter.  -40 here in Alberta Canada.
    5. Favorite Superbowl food?  I have to admit I don't do Superbowl, but for favorite game day food I would say potato skins.
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?
    5W1d
    Apparently baby is the size of the heart button on instagram

2. How are you feeling? Appointments?
    First appointment will be on the 20th, so nothing before then.
    Not nauseous, except for like in the one hour after taking my fish supplement pill.

3. Questions? AMA concerns?
    I'll be turning 38 in July, so I am also definitely of the AMA category. My mom had me at 35 and my brother at 39 so AMA runs in the family. We are definitely getting all the blood tests done, but that would have happened regardless of age.

4. Rants/ raves?
    I'm feeling a lot better than during the pregnancies of my first two kids, but then again I'm 5 whole weeks along, so... I just really don't want to balloon quite so much as with the second kid. Still working on the baby weight from that one. Oh well, guess the diet starts after weaning this one. Now where's my Reeses?

5. Favorite SB food?

Pretty much all of them. As an expat I keenly miss US-style food. Especially around Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Super Bowl Sunday.

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Idiot doctor I saw today asked me three times if I actually meant to get pregnant, like he couldn't believe I'd do it on purpose at 38. And the 2nd words out his mouth were "you know this is a high-risk pregnancy, right?" I know the chromosomal problems that can arise and that there is a tiny increase in things like preterm labor, but I'm healthier than the overwhelming majority of the people in his waiting room, so no, I don't thing my age is much of an issue, but thanks for trying to freak me out in the first 2 secs... Oh, and he made me wait two hours even though I was the first person there in the morning and the second scheduled for the whole day, and he talked to me for a whole 5 minutes. Sorry, still annoyed... 

WTF doctor. I mean, wow. Beautiful bedside manner and patient rapport.

• 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? I am 5 weeks 

2. How are you feeling?/Any appointments this week? I’m experiencing nausea and indigestion. 

3. Any questions? Specific AMA concerns? No, not really. Just wondering how this pregnancy will be now that I’m 38yrs old. I’ve had my other three at 18, 25 & 27yrs old. 

4. Rants/ raves? Holy heartburn! I don’t remember ever feeling it this early. 

5. GTKY: What is your favorite Super Bowl food? Buffalo Wings, hands down. 

• Idiot doctor I saw today asked me three times if I actually meant to get pregnant, like he couldn't believe I'd do it on purpose at 38. And the 2nd words out his mouth were "you know this is a high-risk pregnancy, right?" I know the chromosomal problems that can arise and that there is a tiny increase in things like preterm labor, but I'm healthier than the overwhelming majority of the people in his waiting room, so no, I don't thing my age is much of an issue, but thanks for trying to freak me out in the first 2 secs... Oh, and he made me wait two hours even though I was the first person there in the morning and the second scheduled for the whole day, and he talked to me for a whole 5 minutes. Sorry, still annoyed... 

Oooooh that makes my blood boil on your behalf! What a jerk. I hope you never have to see him again! 
  • I’ll add that I went to two different OBs when we moved to our current town, to figure out who I wanted to see. The first used the term “geriatric pregnancy” in the first five minutes and went on and on about risks (I’m 36). The other used AMA, said I was physically in great shape to carry a baby, and talked about a couple of great REs he could refer us to. Three guesses as to which one I chose! It’s amazing how much difference that kind of thing can make!
  • I’ll add that I went to two different OBs when we moved to our current town, to figure out who I wanted to see. The first used the term “geriatric pregnancy” in the first five minutes and went on and on about risks (I’m 36). The other used AMA, said I was physically in great shape to carry a baby, and talked about a couple of great REs he could refer us to. Three guesses as to which one I chose! It’s amazing how much difference that kind of thing can make!
  • jenferlee82jenferlee82 member
    edited February 2019
    I am so sorry, I have no idea why that posted so many times!
  • Thank you for the advice, @cmbt2 and @c.gardner37 :)
    @tinybluesprite Oh my gosh, what a spectacular idiot of a doctor! How did you not slap him?
    @geminigirl16 Has the nausea hit you yet? I've felt a bit queasy from time to time, but I'm bracing myself. This is my first pregnancy, so I have no clue what's about to happen.
    Question: Are you all planning on getting an amniocentesis? I know the odds of miscarriage are now only 1/1600, but I'm still nervous and would rather not do the procedure. I guess it's something I'll discuss with the doctor.
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• @elle-0409 I'm so glad you asked about amnio, I want to hear what everyone thinks! I am really struggling with the idea of doing it, and my husband is really set on doing it. He thinks we should do any test we can because of the increased risks, but I'm really having a hard time with the idea of anything that could possibly lead to MC, even if the odds aren't significant.
  • @jenferlee82 I'll go ahead and post this in The Great Question Thread as well so it gets more responses. Glad I'm not the only one who is struggling with this!
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• @elle-0409 unless things have changed within the last two years, amnios are the last step. You should get a screen, then if it comes back positive or high risk, you move on to discussing amnio. NIPTs are becoming more mainstream for first tri screenings (note, insurance won’t always cover this), and certain insurances will require it or an NT to come back as high risk/positive before covering an amnio
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • elle-0409 said:
    Thank you for the advice, @cmbt2 and @c.gardner37 :)
    @tinybluesprite Oh my gosh, what a spectacular idiot of a doctor! How did you not slap him?
    @geminigirl16 Has the nausea hit you yet? I've felt a bit queasy from time to time, but I'm bracing myself. This is my first pregnancy, so I have no clue what's about to happen.
    Question: Are you all planning on getting an amniocentesis? I know the odds of miscarriage are now only 1/1600, but I'm still nervous and would rather not do the procedure. I guess it's something I'll discuss with the doctor.
    We're doing the blood test and the first trimester ultrasound screen. Our health insurance won't pay for AS unless there's an indication.

• @elle-0409 Because of my history I will be getting all the bloodwork and tests but the amniocentesis only if a couple of the other tests show something. My dr said it’s a last resort but generally pretty safe now. 
  • @elle-0409 Thankfully no nausea yet but I fully expect it come. I was frequently nauseous with my other pregnancies but have never actually been sick. 

I will be doing a NIPT (The Nifty) test for genetic testing since I am 38 but will skip the amniocentesis unless it is warranted and only as a last resort. 
  • I'm sorry I am just getting into this thread now, but i am blown away @jenferlee82! Like all the curse words want to come flooding out of my mouth right now #$%&^@*! I feel like that comment should be reported to the Board of Obstetricians or something (if there is such a thing). I hope since this happened a few days ago that you've moved on. Just wow.