August 2019 Moms
Options

Moms with Thyroid Disorders

mrosek91mrosek91 member
edited February 2019 in August 2019 Moms
I know there are a few of us on here, so I thought it would be nice to see how everyone is doing.
Feel free to answer these questions or just start a conversation.

1) When were you/how old were you when you were diagnosed? What were you diagnosed with?
2) Have you had other babies since your diagnosis?
3) How do you treat it? (medicine/diet/other)
4) Any questions or concerns?

Edited to make it more inclusive. Original title - moms with hashimotos.

Re: Moms with Thyroid Disorders

• Options
    mrosek91mrosek91 member
    edited January 2019
    1) When were you/how old were you when you were diagnosed? I was 10 when I was diagnosed, I don't really remember life without it...

2) Have you had other babies since your diagnosis? Yes, 2 boys.

3) How do you treat it? (medicine/diet/other) I am currently on 88mg of levoxyl. My dosage has gone up and down over the years, but it's always been levoxyl.

4) Any questions or concerns? I've had it longer than I haven't so at this point it's really more of my reality, I don't have many questions.

Since I was so young when I was diagnosed my parents taught me to keep it quiet because they were worried about other kids making fun of me. But as I get older I realize it's actually a fairly common disease.
  • Options
    1) When were you/how old were you when you were diagnosed?
    I was diagnosed as hypothyroid last summer, 6 months after giving birth. They assumed it was from Postpartum Thyroiditis. Diagnosis updated to Hashimoto’s about a month ago.

2) Have you had other babies since your diagnosis?
    Nope, I’ve had 4 other babies, all pre-Hashis

3) How do you treat it? (medicine/diet/other)
    As of now, I’m taking 88mcg of levothyroxine. They upped my dose from 75 a few weeks ago and they’re testing my blood work every 4 weeks and increasing slowly as needed. My endo said my goal dose will be around 100-150mcg.

4) Any questions or concerns?
    I’m curious to learn more about the natural thyroid medications out there. I won’t make any changes while I am pregnant, but after I get past the early post-partum stages, I plan on asking about this. I hear that levo only replaces T4 and sometimes people need help with T3 as well which can be achieved through natural options. 

Also, for everyone else what are/were your symptoms with hashis?? 

For me, it started with unexplained weight gain, depression, and fatigue. Now, I’m still tired, but that’s my only symptom at the moment. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cmessamore I've taken nature throid. It's tricky. Sometimes you just need a tiny bit extra T3, sometimes just T4 replacement is sufficient. I ultimately went back to just Levothyroxine (T4) because I was incredibly under medicated. And I started having issues with another emerging autoimmune disorder. So I wanted to get back to a good level with my thyroid. I also stopped taking birth control which helped so so much. Estrogen can do something with binding T4 and not letting in convert or something like that. Idk I can't fully remember. I just know stopping birth control helped a lot. 

My husband has Hashis (I have graves but treated it with radioactive iodine ablation, so my thyroid is mostly dead.) He was on Nature through and doing really well. But then his levels rose really quickly and the dose of nature throid they wanted to put him on wasn't available. So he's on Levo now. 

Another option is taking levo and a synthetic t3. The PA I see for my thyroid is really open to trying new things. So I've tried a couple different combinations and have ultimately decided that the standard T4 replacement works pretty well for me.
  • Options
    @Beauxbaton thank you for the info! I’m currently reading a book about thyroid issues and it makes it seem like levo is the worst thing ever, but it seems to be helping most of my symptoms. My mom has lupus and raynauds, so I knew I had a higher chance of having an autoimmune disorder in life. My thyroid has basically stopped working completely my endo said, when I’m done having babies I think I’ll check out a naturopathic doctor to see what suggestions they have. I really like science, but I’m also up for trying different things until something works perfectly for you. 
  • Options
    @cessamore I really dislike when people try to make it seem like Levo is the worst. It's not. For some people it doesn't work, but for some people it works really well. If you aren't feeling well on it then definitely try something else. But if you're doing well after pregnancy don't change medicines just because other people think something works better. Definitely find what.works for you.
  • Options
    Thank you!!!!
  • Options
    @cmessamore, I have a strange relationship with my hashis, as I said I was diagnosed really young, so at the time I didn't understand it I just did what my mom and doctor told me to. By the time I was old enough to understand what was going on it had been a part of my life so long I wasn't really curious.
    I have been on levoxyl for almost 20 years, and the only time I have problems is when I get lazy and stop taking it. Then I have issues with depression, and other fun hormone stuff.
    Full disclosure I've struggled with weight my whole life, but I don't know if that's hormone or sweet tooth related. 
    I started this thread because I thought there would be more of us here, but I guess I'm wrong... Not sure how much insight I'll have but feel free to private message me if you have any more questions.
  • Options
    1)diagnosed with hashis about 2 years ago but still didn’t understand it until I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this past summer :( 

2) 2 babies pre-hashis.

3) treat it with 50mcg Levo but I believe it’s over corrected bc i seem to swing with high pulse rate, palpitations etc. 

4) only concern is an endo who seems to not understand nor take it seriously. Luckily my OB is willing to help with tests, etc to help me manage it properly.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrosek91 I think there's several mom's with thyroid disorders, just maybe not specifically Hashis. Like I said previousl, I've got Grave's disease and hypothyroidism. So this thread doesn't really pertain to me? I still read it though. Lol
  • Options
    @Beauxbaton I changed it to make it more inclusive. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    1) When were you/how old were you when you were diagnosed? What were you diagnosed with? Diagnosed with Grave's Disease at 16. Had a hyperactive thyroid but didn't respond well to the medication, so we did Radioactive iodine ablation and killed most of my thyroid. So now even though I technically do still have graves I am almost always hypo.

2) Have you had other babies since your diagnosis? Yes, all of my babies were born after I was 16 :P 

3) How do you treat it? (medicine/diet/other) 175mcg levothyroxine

4) Any questions or concerns? This is my 4 time around so nope!