July 2019 Moms
Options

Ladies with hubby's/bfs leaving for bootcamp

I am 14 weeks pregnant with baby number two and my hubby is in the process of joining the military, I dont want to sound selfish but I am a little worried he will be gone during my due date and it makes me a little sad. I was just wondering if any of you moms have ever gone through this and if so how did it work for you when it came to delivery time? 

Re: Ladies with hubby's/bfs leaving for bootcamp

• Options
    *Lurking* MH was deployed during my last pregnancy and there was a chance he wouldn't make it home in time. I highly suggest finding a doula or having another trusted person come to be with you when you deliver. There is a program called Operation: Special Delivery where doulas can volunteer for mothers whose partners are deployed or otherwise away. A lot of doulas in training also volunteer for the experience while they are getting certified. It's unfortunate that your husband might not be present, he can work with his own command to see if he can make that work, but in the absense of that certainty I'd suggest building a support system for yourself that you can count on.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no experience with military but I totally sympathize and no you are not being selfish. I am a police wife and my husband often works crazy long shifts (a 19 hour shift just this week and back at it the next day) where we won't see him (or just in passing) for 5-6 days. It's definitely a sacrifice made by the whole family. I have bonded with other police wives and created a circle of support for when he's "on tour" as they call a set of shifts. I hired a doula because the event he is working/ cannot leave a scene immediately when I go into labour, I know I still have a labour partner. I highly recommend a Doula! Have you met any military wives or girlfriends yet? I can imagine they'd also be a good support/community.