July 2019 Moms

Nursery Plans

What themes are you going with? Colors?

Furniture you love or wish you could purchase? Want to share your Pinterest board or peruse others?

Need help on deciding how to arrange your space? 

Share it here. 

Re: Nursery Plans

• With my first, we bought hand made Amish furniture, spent nearly 3k.

For my second, I am not doing any of that.
  • I want to do Wizard of Oz, but we're team green, and I haven't 100% decided if it can be done gender-neutral (although people I've asked so far think it can).
    I found these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/266110814/wizard-of-oz-quotes-and-characters-set?ga_search_query=wizard&ref=shop_items_search_3, and am sort of in love.

I like themed nurseries, even though I know they're a little corny, plus I don't like most of the gender neutral nurseries I've seen because most of them are cream/gray/not very colorful, so this would be a way to avoid that...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited January 2019
    Regardless of sex, the baby will be staying in our room probably for the first 6 - 9 months. If this one is a boy he'll probably go in with my two littles (4 and 2) so we won't be decorating anything. If this one is a girl she'll eventually take over the smaller bedroom and my two bigs (8 and 6) will be sharing with the two littles until we add on eventually. This picture will be the inspiration for her room. It's one of the things I got years ago from my bio dad's house. We'll keep is pretty simple though. 

With my first we did an FSU/Seminole theme. With my second we just added onto the FSU/Seminole theme by adding more generic sports. #3 and #4  didnt have a room. They had a nook in our room until they went into big brothers room. We basically reused old decor and put up their initials on it LOL! Here's, a pic of the nook. Window was covered by the time they slept in the crib.

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • No themes here. Basic, simple, low maintenance is my jam. My DS and spare room (will be nursery) are already grey, baby will re-use DS's crib/dresser (white) and we're getting DS some new big boy furniture in the coming months. I like to keep the room neutral as I find once the toys, bedding, pictures and stuff animals enter so does the colour. Especially once they start growing up and gain interest in certain things. My son loves hockey and trains so we are running with that with his big boy room. The newborn phase seems long when you're in it but it will fly by and I want the room to transition easily into the toddler/kid stage. While it is a nursery though I want to re-use as much as possible and have it be a pretty zen atmosphere for our late night feedings.
  • The room is already painted gray, so we will leave that. We’re re using our crib which is blue chalk paint, it’s my absolute favorite! 

We’re team green so I’m thinking of doing a baby farm animal/ farmhouse theme, although nothing crazy. A few pictures, and some pieces we have picked up at antique shops over the years. My mom is currently using the room that will be the nursery. She’s moving to her new place this weekend, so I’m excited to get in there and start getting stuff ready! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • rgn12rgn12 member
    edited January 2019
    I’m a FTM so I have NOTHING! Lol. We’re having a girl.The walls are already lavender from when my hubby painted for my “calming” office haha. I’m hoping to keep the purple walls so we don’t have to repaint. I’m trying to find something simple. I really like the look of watercolor flowers, so I’m hoping to find a bedding set like that that has a close enough shade of lavender to match (haven’t so far...) and white crib and dresser/removable changing table. So far I haven’t been so lucky! All the floral watercolors seem to be pink. 
  • I love the look of a put together nursery, but it's just not really my personality to actually pull it off. DD stayed in our room for about a year, team green, PLUS the fact that we'll move this spring - I just haven't thought about it at all.
  • mrscammackmrscammack member
    edited January 2019
    For DDs nursery we went neutral and did yellow with jungle animals. We just repainted her room last week, she insisted on pink, and redecorated her space so I definitely want something different for the new baby’s  nursery. 

This is what I’m thinking for a girl - I’m obsessed with these curtains I’m almost hoping it’s a girl for that reason alone lol 

And this for a boy, either the grey curtains pictured or the same ones in blue and white. 

Either sex we’re going with a blue/green paint colour just to mix it up from DDs super pink room next door. We’ll reuse the monkey/elephant wall art from DDs nursery as well. Also reusing all DDs nursery furniture since she just got her new big girl room complete with all new furniture. 
  • For #3 I literally set up a pack and play in the guest room and called it done. Poor #4... We have no clue where we're going to put all these kids. Especially if it's not a girl.
    Anyone have boy/girl sharing a bedroom? How long would that last? We're going to need more bedrooms and I'm not ready to think about it!!!

I love seeing everyone's ideas and pics here.
  • Any apartment living mama's in here? My husband and I live in a 2 bedroom but the second bedroom is used primarily as a workshop space and office for me. We're planning on sharing our bedroom with the baby for the first year. Hopefully by then we will be ready to move into a house. Otherwise, we'll kick all of our crap out of the 2nd room to make more room for the little babe!
  • I went all out for my first 2, this poor kid is going to be in a cosleeper for the first 6 months with a glider/dresser in our loft. She will be with big brother once we move her to a crib. It’s actually nice to not feel like I have to put together a nursery 😬
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • I think I'm going to go with this theme that I saw on pinterest
  • @mamanessen We were in a 2-bedroom (900sq ft!)  house with our first two kids.  It was completely do-able with one kid and we could have lived there indefinitely. We turned our "office/guest room" into the "nursery/guest room" but honestly I slept in there every night with her for probably the first year.  I bet you could combine your office space into an office/nursery down the road if you absolutely need it (i.e. crib in the office for nighttime sleep).

After the second kid, the house was clearly too crowded so we did end up moving to a bigger house.
  • Every time I search nursery ideas on Pinterest, it shows me sad, grey, baby prisons. That said, I’ve wanted to do an “under the sea” themed closet for the longest time, and since the baby’s room has a bathroom but no closets, sea-themed bathroom it is! I’m thinking dark blue walls with either painted or stick-on sea animals. 

Havent decided on the actual bedroom, but I like the idea of bright-colored polka dots or stars! 
  • @shawnacrest Wire deer heads are great and everything, but you could always do what the people we bought our house from did and have an actual mounted buck head.

Semi-related, this room will be our nursery, too just no deer heads of any kind.
  • Me too @babyginjuly ! I'm loving gray furniture and walls, etc
  • @Cbeanz foster care regs say a boy and girl can share a room until they turn age 5... so around that age? Obviously since you aren't foster care you could do what you want!

For us, we used the same exact nursery for our first two. Baby 2 is still in the nursery and I will keep him there most likely until this current babe is 5-6 months old. Baby 3 will be in our room in the pack and play until then. The nursery is painted gray with white furniture and mint, coral, and mustard decor. We purposely decorated it gender neutral so that it would last for all our babies. The only thing I might add is if it's a girl maybe find a floral crib sheet!
  • @babyginjuly fair enough! Neutral tones will definitely be easy enough for baby to grow into as they get older. That’s part of my hesitation towards doing a big themed room idea—we’ll just have to undo it later when she grows out of it!
  • I’m so excited about designing the nursery but I haven’t really figured out what I’m going to do yet. In the meantime, here are some nursery ideas from two of my favorite blogs. The first one is great if you want to do a gender neutral room that isn’t boring. The second is more specifically for girls. 
    https://studiodiy.com/2018/01/30/arlos-nursery-reveal/  
    https://abeautifulmess.com/category/kids-room
    P.S. Is anyone planning to make any keepsake items like a quilt or blanket? I’ve always wanted to do a cross stitch design for the nursery but I’m still searching for the right pattern. 
  • whinemom I love the rainbow book shelves!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @whinemom I think the rainbow/bright color theme is such a great gender neutral idea! When we first started trying, I dreamed of a rainbow nursery! Doesn't work with our house now, but still a great idea!

I'm definitely going the non-themed route, probably with grey, white and a pop of color (leaning toward orange).
  • @NicholeL16 Love love love the cactus theme!!! 🌵

Can I just say again I love hearing these ideas and seeing pictures! I wish we had a spare room I could deck out. Another piece of me is kind of grateful that designing a new room isn't on my to-do list this time though.
  • @cindler I think grey with a pop of orange would look beautiful! I can see something with foxes looking cute with those colors too. I just finished making a quilt for a friend and I used this adorable fabric from Joann’s that was foxes on a grey background. They were wearing little glasses and top hats too  - haha!
  • Anyone else having trouble finding a decent nursing/rocking chair? My husband is 6’5 so the cute chair that my mom rocked me in is a no go. But we did find this one that I think will work for the nursery and it’s actually modern looking and not ridiculously priced.
    https://m.costway.com/mid-century-retro-modern-fabric-upholstered-rocking-chair.html?fee=51&fep=9407&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sriBRD-ARIsABYdwwFvqFAt7viOo1mwCgcrIz_EZGb9O5ogOxLTxnHg_1AFsgYqFLykq6waAuM6EALw_wcB
  • edited February 2019

• @whinemom DH is 6'6 here, and I'm 5'2, so we opted for just an IKEA chair that we already had for the first nursery because we couldn't find a chair that was comfortable for us both (me being able to reach the floor, but  high back for him). But we FINALLY found one!  It's a Pottery Barn Kids chair, so pricey, but my mom works retail there and she's getting us a discount - 40% or we'd never go for it. We're getting it in performance velvet so it's more washable (yay spit stains). But worth it because the IKEA chair was so terrible after awhile. Since we're not buying any other new furniture for the nursery (shifting over the white stuff from M's room), we're also justifying it that way.

@NicholeL16 I LOVE the cactus theme! Floral but not, that's so amazing. I'd love to see more of what you have planned if you wanna share your pinterest.

We did a National Parks theme with M since it was the centennial back in 2016. His room is bright blue, orange curtains, some photographs, a big map of the states marking all the parks, and some super adorable artwork posters. We're keeping it that way for awhile, I'm actually adding a mountain mural soon to one corner.

For this one, we had decided on theme before we knew the gender. We're doing a colorful, outer space NASA theme. I'm a little sad we're not having a girl who we can raise with a STEM theme, but I know our new little dude will love it too. We have a purple grey in there already. We're getting some NASA posters, a space mobile, and I'm currently looking for a rocket shelf.

Outer space toddler boy bedroom Space ship or Rocket ship bookshelf I love you to the moon and back Saturn light We love how this turned out
    Get ready for an intergalactic ok maybe intragalactic adventure Pop Chart Lab has distilled more than half a century of space travel into a beautiful print The Chart of Cosmic Exploration features hand-illustrated renderings of every orbiter lander rover flyby and impactor to ever successfully slip the surly bonds of Earths orbit Plus all of our pretty-cool planets in our pretty-great Solar System Details - Dimensions 36 x 24 inches 6096 x 9144 cm - Each poster comes packaged in a Pop Chart Lab Test Tube - 100 lb archival stock certified by The Forest Stewardship Council - Poster is pressed in Long Island City with vegetable-based inks About Pop Chart Lab In 2010 a book editor and a graphic designer joined forces with one modest goal to render all of human experience in chart form They went on to amass no small renown that is a ton of renown for their infographical treatments of the varieties of beer the full array of culinary tools a taxonomy of hip-hop and dozens more mappings of cultural touchstones Now with a small team of researchers designers and soldiers Pop Chart Lab continues to assemble sift cull and arrange massive amounts of cultural data into meaningful works of art and information
  • @foodislove That looks custom. I bet you can make something custom, even easier than this one. Do the rounded shelves, and then just paint the rocket onto the wall behind it. 
    I think I'm going to steal that National Parks theme if it is a boy for us. I am thinking greens and grays with the accents you talked about. Sounds really cool! 

The nursery/kid room is pretty small, but honestly, it is the same size as the room I had growing up, so I know it is plenty for our kid. We just have to really limit what people buy them because we don't have a ton of storage space in our house. No basement, but we don't usually mind. We just have to be cautious about what all we keep. I have SO MUCH to go through before I can really start planning out this baby room. 

If it is a girl, I am thinking purple and gray color block stuff that will make it a calming space. But without it being a replica of our master which is gray, white, silver, and purple. Hahaha. I guess I know what I like. My walls are this gorgeous deep purple-gray color that we just love. I made an oops when picking out the color and have a more red-toned color that I would want to use in the baby room and then I can use up that paint! Haha.  
  • @foodislove STEM/Robots is the other option we're considering. We're team green, so it would work...
  • @hakele Brilliant!!! I love that idea about painting the rocket on, genius! Thank you. A great hack for artwork for the National Park theme room is to get a National Park calendar, cut out the photos, and put them into frames. I'd be happy to share some of my fave pins if you want, via PM?

@greeneyedgirl12 Dooooo it! STEM girls all the way. I'll never be able to forgive my parents pressing me not to go into biology. I mean, I like what I do now, but seriously discouraging a girl who wants to be a biologist for years and years... it got to me and I'm sad I never went down that track.
  • ironcat2300ironcat2300 member
    edited February 2019
    @Cbeanz I saw you mentioned a Pack and Play. We are considering trying the minimalist approach and using the P&P in the bedroom as the bassinet/changing table and then moving it to the baby room to transition into crib functions. 

Anyone have advice on how to use the P&P like this. Some of my questions......  
    1) Is it worth getting the Napper attachment since they baby shouldn’t sleep in that unattended? (I read articles that said it was not safe.) Is this my solution? Graco Pack 'n Play Nearby Napper Playard, Kai https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNMPDTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mSlvCb1NEC3GR

2) Since you have to remove the changing table when the baby is sleeping on the mattress at the bassinet height- does that defeit it’s purpose? I would think you would want to be able to move easily from sleep to the changing table without having to attach things (imagining a 3am diaper change). 
    3) is there a P&P with a true/safe bassinet attachment (not a Napper) next to a changer attachment? That seems to be the best combo. 
    4) If you get the P&P without the Napper- is buying one to move from room to room during the day/traveling a necessity item? 

FTM here- all advice/corrections are welcome!! Thank you!
  • @foodislove maybe after we find out the gender in a month! I don't want to start committing to this "boy" idea, at all. 
  • @ironcat2300 The Nuna Sena Aire has a bassinet function to the built-in mattress and you can buy a separate changer that attaches to it. It's a little $$ but I can see it working really nicely as something that you could have in your room, then permanently in the LO's room too. 

https://www.nuna.eu/sena-aire-usa

I had the 4moms Breeze with the bassinet attachment. I used it in my room and then later I got rid of our real crib and DS slept in the Breeze until we moved him to a real bed. I plan on just getting a quality pack n play or travel crib this time and am leaning towards either the Guava Lotus w/ Bassinet or Nuna Sena Aire

https://www.guavafamily.com/products/lotus-bassinet
  • @Cbeanz I saw you mentioned a Pack and Play. We are considering trying the minimalist approach and using the P&P in the bedroom as the bassinet/changing table and then moving it to the baby room to transition into crib functions. 

Anyone have advice on how to use the P&P like this. Some of my questions......  
    1) Is it worth getting the Napper attachment since they baby shouldn’t sleep in that unattended? (I read articles that said it was not safe.) Is this my solution? Graco Pack 'n Play Nearby Napper Playard, Kai https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNMPDTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mSlvCb1NEC3GR

2) Since you have to remove the changing table when the baby is sleeping on the mattress at the bassinet height- does that defeit it’s purpose? I would think you would want to be able to move easily from sleep to the changing table without having to attach things (imagining a 3am diaper change). 
    3) is there a P&P with a true/safe bassinet attachment (not a Napper) next to a changer attachment? That seems to be the best combo. 
    4) If you get the P&P without the Napper- is buying one to move from room to room during the day/traveling a necessity item? 

FTM here- all advice/corrections are welcome!! Thank you!
    @ironcat2300 That PnP looks really functional!  Sounds like you can use the napper overnight as long as it's turned onto the newborn bassinet side - with the border around it.  Plus, it becomes a portable vibrating rocker seat you can take with you and move into a different room throughout the house.  You are going to need a rocker/bouncer/seat at some point, so this can function as one.  I would agree that after the baby can roll around it's not safe overnight, but you can still use it as a rocker/seat probably for 5 months or more.

2. A lot of moms don't really care about changing tables... I have one, but I've also changed babies in the bassinet, on a bed, on a floor.  You could even get a changing pad and put it on a low dresser somewhere in the room if you want. Or, you could get the changing table accessory - either way.

3. IDK - any other moms know about this?

4. If you have a Pack n Play set up for sleep you will probably keep it in one room and not move it around the house.  (Ours doesn't fit through doorways unless you fold it up)  But you can definitely pack it up to travel.  We pack ours for travel and it's really convenient.   Then come home and set it up again for sleep. (I don't have multiple PnPs, if that's what you're asking.)
  • @foodislove I LOVE the national parks theme. I've seriously considered something outdoorsy or mountainous, but I'm shying away from any kind of theme and going toward more neutral decorations that can grow with the kid.
  • @ironcat2300 I agree with @cbeanz on addressing your other points. Changers aren't necessary. I changed DS wherever for the most part and you can always just get a separate changing pad and move it around the house easily. And moving pack n play from room to room wasn't really a thing for me either.. most are a pain to set up or heavy/bulky to move.. but also.. my child would not "play" in a pack n play. He wanted to be free to roam and if I put him in there he'd scream. It definitely served us well as a place to sleep for naps and night but the play functionality was a total waste. 
  • Thanks for all of your feedback! So helpful! I’m going to check out your suggestions tonight! STMs rock!!!
  • @foodislove told hubby and he said, “What about 1930s World adventurer and airplane hangar?” 
    To which I replied, “You mean Indiana Jones?” And he sheepishly responded with a, “Yes.” 
    Hahaha. It is his favorite movie.